ONE THING I HATE ABOUT THIS BIKE!

Perhaps this could lend itself to some sort of competition for those of you who will be gathering at the 2015 CB1100 Rally: a timed event to see who can unlock their seat, remove and then reinstall the fastest. All while blindfolded of course. :D

I never gave it much thought myself as my Hawk GT features pretty much the same setup.
 
Never an issue with me and I have limited movement, guess I don't see the problem. But I did spend a night at a Holiday Inn Express. :biker:
 
Have to cast my vote in the "never an issue" column. When reinstalling it helps to center it using the passenger grab handles. All the same I wish it was a latch and hinge affair as it was with UJMs of old.
 
Guth_imp said:
Perhaps this could lend itself to some sort of competition for those of you who will be gathering at the 2015 CB1100 Rally: a timed event to see who can unlock their seat, remove and then reinstall the fastest. All while blindfolded of course. :D

I never gave it much thought myself as my Hawk GT features pretty much the same setup.
 
I agree that it's a little awkward....but it's not something I do frequently on this bike, so it's not something I think I could rise to the level of "hating." On my ZRX it might be a different story, because the great big storage compartment under the seat comes in handy quite often. Fortunately, its release system is as simple as it gets.
 
Reading the difficulties people are having my 2013 must have a different way to remove the seat. I put the key into the helmet lock, turn the key, reach behind the lock and pull the hook down and lift the seat off. To install I push the front of seat slightly down and push forward then push the back of the seat seat down. Less than a minute each way.
 
Stealth128_imp said:
Why in the would would HONDA design the seat release latch into a twist your back into a pretzel process trying to get it open! What Gives,
Mate, this is a very skilful ploy on the part of The Honda Corporation. Sorta like a test. Page 55 of the owners manual (Australian ed. 2010) states:

Quote:In the event of difficulty removing, or replacing, the seat, the owner should return the bike to the dealership immediately, preferably by trailer. A full refund will be given and, on leaving the dealership, that person (no longer hereforeafter referred to as the owner) should seek counselling before considering purchasing another motorcycle.
Cheers.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Stealth128_imp said:
Why in the would would HONDA design the seat release latch into a twist your back into a pretzel process trying to get it open! What Gives,
Mate, this is a very skilful ploy on the part of The Honda Corporation. Sorta like a test. Page 55 of the owners manual (Australian ed. 2010) states:

Quote:In the event of difficulty removing, or replacing, the seat, the owner should return the bike to the dealership immediately, preferably by trailer. A full refund will be given and, on leaving the dealership, that person (no longer hereforeafter referred to as the owner) should seek counselling before considering purchasing another motorcycle.
Cheers.
Mate, this is a very skilful ploy on the part of The Honda Corporation. Sorta like a test. Page 55 of the owners manual (Australian ed. 2010) states:

Quote:In the event of difficulty removing, or replacing, the seat, the owner should return the bike to the dealership immediately, preferably by trailer. A full refund will be given and, on leaving the dealership, that person (no longer hereforeafter referred to as the owner) should seek counselling before considering purchasing another motorcycle.
Cheers.
:rofl:
 
gossman_imp said:
Reading the difficulties people are having my 2013 must have a different way to remove the seat. I put the key into the helmet lock, turn the key, reach behind the lock and pull the hook down and lift the seat off. To install I push the front of seat slightly down and push forward then push the back of the seat seat down. Less than a minute each way.

:rofl: nope... That's the procedure on a nutshell
 
Hmmm, maybe it's a weedout feature. If you are not flexible enough to go through the seat removal sequence you are not qualified to own a motorcycle...... :angel:

On my Griso, the key goes in the side, twist, then you place your knee in mid seat, push down with the knee while pulling up on the back of the seat. Easy. Installing usually takes some form of massive force to get the damn catch to lock. :(

The 650L has you remove the left side panel, left side seat strap bolt then two bolts under the fender. All pretty straight forward...... :@
 
I think the CB1100 seat removal method is vastly better than that of my old Shadow and the borrowed CBRR1000RRRRR, both of which involve turning screws/bolts. Turn key, pull release with left hand, lift seat. I have a harder time getting the key into the ignition.
 
The rider seat on my CBR1000RR is secured with two bolts, so that's way harder (and, of course, they're JIS screw heads so you really need the proper screwdrivers or else you risk stripping the heads, and lining them back up when you put it back together isn't exactly easy). And the pillion is no easier, even though it comes off with the turn of a key, putting it back on is an exercise in frustration. I was pleased with the CB1100's set up when I got it.
 
I guess it's an inside joke at Honda to see just how many ways they can come up with to release a seat. Even in the same model year, different models use different methods. That's just nuts.

On my NT, you insert key into the lock on the left side. Turn key. Then pull on the hidden black pannier release under the grab rail above pannier. Left side pannier pops open. Then hunt around just inside the top edge of pannier for the even more well hidden seat release lever. It's very short. Press lever to rear. Seat is supposed to release, but doesn't. Press that lever 10 or 15 more times until seat releases.

I don't think most people are complaining that the CB's method is impossible or painful, just that there could have been an easier method.
 
Huh? On my 14, you pull down the lever for the helmet lock with your right hand, wiggle the seat slightly with your left, and off it pops. No yoga needed.
 
Ok, I'll add to the already 4 pages about removing the seat. I'm right handed so- in goes the key, then I reach around with my index finger, still right hand, and slide down the release. Now I reach across my right arm with my left arm to grab the rear of the seat and then slide it backward. If I "think" about it before doing it, then I'll use my left hand to slide the latch down. Much easier.

What I really hate is putting gas in it. I don't mind the frequency, but I have to precisely aim the nozzle to the front left and then feather the gas in to minimize back splashing. Takes about 2 hours.
 
MFGUSA' pid='60572' dateline='1411075544 said:
Ok, I'll add to the already 4 pages about removing the seat. I'm right handed so- in goes the key, then I reach around with my index finger, still right hand, and slide down the release. Now I reach across my right arm with my left arm to grab the rear of the seat and then slide it backward. If I "think" about it before doing it, then I'll use my left hand to slide the latch down. Much easier.

What I really hate is putting gas in it. I don't mind the frequency, but I have to precisely aim the nozzle to the front left and then feather the gas in to minimize back splashing. Takes about 2 hours.


I can do it in 1 hour !

Just kidding , I always fill up my bikes at home before I take of, have 2 cans with 5 gallon each . (also for riding mower, Shell 93 octane)
 
The thing I hate about this bike is that I still have not ridden it. Brought it home from the dealer and it is now day three of constant pouring rain. Go out to the garage and start it once and awhile just to get my fix. At this rate, I will have it broke in before it ever leaves the garage.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
The thing I hate about this bike is that I still have not ridden it. Brought it home from the dealer and it is now day three of constant pouring rain. Go out to the garage and start it once and awhile just to get my fix. At this rate, I will have it broke in before it ever leaves the garage.
Stick an electric fan in front, set it on the center stand, and haul a**. Uh, just crack the garage door a bit :angel:
 
Back
Top