Old school ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday was another unusually hot day here in SW Ohio. Upper 80's again. Anyhow I wanted to go for a ride and just felt like going "old school" like in this pic of my wife and I taken on our KZ1000 38 years ago in 1977



I rode down to the local shop to see if they had any dark smoke 5 snap flat shields for my HJC CS5 helmet. They used to be all the rage. When I started working in shops in the early 70's we sold gazillions of them, clear, light smoke, dark smoke or yellow for $1.99 each. Well their was none on display, so I asked the owner if they had any. He went back and dug around in the back of the shop and found ONE...Paulson 5 snap shield for me, luckily dark smoke like I wanted and it was now $14.50. GADS! I'll take it. Looks very old school don't you think?

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/old%20school%20002_zpsllivcosn.jpg.html]

So now I was ready.. open face helmet with 5 snap shield, T shirt, blue jeans and gym shoes. Just like I rode for probably the first 8 years I rode (in the winter I would wear a wool sweater and Army surplus green coat over the t shirt lol), I think I was 23 before I could afford a Bates leather jacket, and real motorcycle boots.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/old%20school%20006_zpsdbrrvhby.jpg.html]

Rode about 40 miles and it felt great...free actually, liberating from the usual heavy and hot body armor I most often wear. Plenty of cool air all over, face, body, arms, hands. Nice!

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/old%20school%20015_zpsrnuo3zlx.jpg.html]

Except for 1 thing....I had forgotten how many bugs and how much grit hits you when you are riding. It was ouch....ouch....ouch. Little hard shell bugs and road grit getting thrown up made it felt like I was getting sand blasted on my neck, chest and arms. Wow, we used to ride like this all the time, how in the heck did we do it? Was certainly happy I was at least wearing the helmet and face shield and long pants, otherwise it would have been a miserable experience lol.

It was fun, but doubt I will ride like this much again. I will at least wear a jacket and boots, even if I'm wearing the old school lid which I didn't mind wearing a bit.

Caveat for the safety guys:
I knew the risks I was taking by riding dressed like this, personally accepted the risk, and managed to come back home safely once again. I am not endorsing any one else ride with minimum gear. It was a personal choice I made on this particular day.
I understand some wouldn't be comfortable riding like this. I was. (well except for the getting sand blasted part lol) and encourage others to ride within their own comfort limits with regards to gear.




.
 
Mick,

I would stick with a clear shield like the one in your 1977 photo because it makes your stomach look really trim and athletic!! And check out your sweetheart's protective footwear in that old photo!

I miss those days. I started riding in the late '60's and always wore t-shirts and tennis shoes. Didn't know any better and it was all good.

Chip
 
I must admit right up until we closed our store in 2012 we had to keep at least one snap on shield in stock for sale because
some old fart would come in and want one . We always tried to keep the customers happy.
 
CA200_imp said:
I must admit right up until we closed our store in 2012 we had to keep at least one snap on shield in stock for sale because
some old fart would come in and want one . We always tried to keep the customers happy.
Or in this case, "customer". :P

Probably not an overwhelming demand for these.
 
Thread starter
yea I don't know when the last time I saw someone wearing one out on the road was.
 
Looks like fun Mickey. There is something liberating about riding in "casual" gear. On really sticky hot days down here it becomes proper riding gear. I wore my new HJC 3/4 helmet on my ride yesterday. 92F when I rode and the HJC was so much cooler than the Modular Nolan.
 
Thread starter
I like this post. I rode in just a t-shirt jeans and helmet to get gas last week and I liked the feeling. Like you, though, I felt every bug, even in a 1/2 mile ride. That was irritating enough to toss a jacket on for future rides.

Cheryl liked the before/after photos and Chip's shield advice. LOL.

Happy Mother's Day to your lovely bride.
 
Thread starter
And to Cheryl as well.

Amazing how the grit and bugs felt like little needles hitting. I had to laugh as I was headed home from this mornings ride, a guy passed me going the other way.. Wearing a white tshirt, jeans and sunglasses, and I thought dude, I feel your pain lol
 
Great pics! That lid from 78 reminds me of the one I had when I used to ride around on a Suzuki DS80, although I only wore it when I thought my dad might be watching.

I found it's easy to forget about the practical side of wearing a jacket etc once you're in the habit of always wearing it. When I only wore a t-shirt while riding, I found the constant slap of it irritating/fatiguing at freeway speed.

While riding outside of the city I've hit bugs that I felt through my jacket. I would rather not take one of those while wearing a T-shirt and sunglasses.
 
Great post, Ferret. When I started riding my 3/4 helmet had no shield. I did have a pair of goggles that I wore only when it was raining. Occasionally I might have worn sun glasses. I remember getting a shield and having to attach the male end of the fittings to the helmet myself. It was such luxury!

Funny thing is I don't remember being assaulted by bugs the way I am these days. Maybe they hadn't been invented then? I can't imagine riding without a visor now; it would be too painful.

On a slightly unrelated matter, for a man who is wont to describe himself as careful with his funds, the Ferret has the most remarkable collection of motorcycle gear. It remind me a bit of Imelda Marcos's shoe collection.
 
The ferret_imp said:
For todays ride I wore a little more. 3/4 helmet and perforated Tecnik leather jacket, perforated gloves with padded palms and work boots. No more sandblasting and since it was only 77 I wasn't burning up. The jacket had the added benefit of hiding the gut that Chip alluded to, well he didn't allude to it, he just pointed it out. lol, Ohhh to be young and skinny again sniff sniff



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB%20ride%20May%2010%202015%20011_zps4nt4nnee.jpg.html]

I just try to pass this off as mass centralization. They tell me that it's all the rage these days.

The ferret_imp said:
:rofl:
 
Awesome post, ferret. I love the old school photo! What a cool dude you were on that bike back then! And...still cool on a similar bike now! :thumbsup:

You can ride like you want to ride, whenever you feel like it. You are obviously a careful and extensively experienced rider. I doubt you exposed yourself to 0.000001% more risk than usual. Plus, you were still helmeted so that's really the only indispensable piece of gear.
 
Thread starter
Novice_imp said:
Great pics! That lid from 78 reminds me of the one I had when I used to ride around on a Suzuki DS80, although I only wore it when I thought my dad might be watching.

I found it's easy to forget about the practical side of wearing a jacket etc once you're in the habit of always wearing it. When I only wore a t-shirt while riding, I found the constant slap of it irritating/fatiguing at freeway speed.

While riding outside of the city I've hit bugs that I felt through my jacket. I would rather not take one of those while wearing a T-shirt and sunglasses.

Novice brings up something people rarely think about. Clothes flapping. If you are not wearing a jacket, wearing a loose shirt or one with a collar while riding will get those clothes flapping setting up what can feel like a vibration in the bike, or the collar tips can flap against the edge of your helmets making a constant rat a tat a tat a sound, or it can actually make you itch.

Been wearing a jacket for so long now, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder Novice.
 
Great pics. You've aged well Ferret. :thumbsup:
The ferret_imp said:
Novice_imp said:
Great pics! That lid from 78 reminds me of the one I had when I used to ride around on a Suzuki DS80, although I only wore it when I thought my dad might be watching.

I found it's easy to forget about the practical side of wearing a jacket etc once you're in the habit of always wearing it. When I only wore a t-shirt while riding, I found the constant slap of it irritating/fatiguing at freeway speed.

While riding outside of the city I've hit bugs that I felt through my jacket. I would rather not take one of those while wearing a T-shirt and sunglasses.

Novice brings up something people rarely think about. Clothes flapping. If you are not wearing a jacket, wearing a loose shirt or one with a collar while riding will get those clothes flapping setting up what can feel like a vibration in the bike, or the collar tips can flap against the edge of your helmets making a constant rat a tat a tat a sound, or it can actually make you itch.

Been wearing a jacket for so long now, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder Novice.

Novice brings up something people rarely think about. Clothes flapping. If you are not wearing a jacket, wearing a loose shirt or one with a collar while riding will get those clothes flapping setting up what can feel like a vibration in the bike, or the collar tips can flap against the edge of your helmets making a constant rat a tat a tat a sound, or it can actually make you itch.

Been wearing a jacket for so long now, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder Novice.
Speaking of flapping, let me share a little story. Years ago I when I was still in college (ok, MANY years ago) I was riding up from school to visit my Mom for Mother's day. That year the temps were in the 40's and raining, but that never stopped me before. I didn't have the proper rain gear but I WAS TOUGH after all...

So I rode it out, bracing the near freezing temps, soaking wet, but kept on riding. The trip home was usually about 3 hours. Well, after a couple hours into it I finally realized nothing was looking familiar. I hadn't noticed earlier because of the intense shivering I was suffering. What happened was that I had actually gotten hypothermia-the first thing to go is the ability for rational thought. I never made my turn onto the other expressway once I got on the highway and ended not one bit closer to home, in another town far away.

I pulled into the nearest gas station where the female attendant saw the pitiful state I was in. She brought me a cup of coffee to warm up which I couldn't even drink because my hands were shaking so uncontrollably I was spilling it everywhere. This lasted for over 45 minutes. She eventually let me go into the back room to change into some dry clothes for the trip back to school (never did see mom that weekend)

Of course, I still didn't have rain gear, so I improvised. I bought a roll of Saran Wrap and literally wrapped myself up in plastic like a mummy! This worked well-for about 2 miles. At that point, the Saran wrap started flapping itself to shreds, eventually turning into long streamers waving from my body as I rode back. Must have been quite the sight.

I'll never forget that ride...

Edit: Now that I think about it, it was Mother's Day 1985, so this is the 30 year anniversary of that very ride! :biker:
 
Thread starter
:rofl: That's a great story. Although Hypothermia is nothing to laugh at, I have to chuckle at the saran wrap part of that story.

Believe me we have all been wet and cold, from not having proper gear. Heck I have been wet and cold WITH proper gear. A few years ago my wife and I were coming back from Bar Harbor, Maine and it started raining on us as soon as we got into Massachusettes and rained HARD all the way to our hotel at Catskill New York. Even with rain gear on everything we were wearing was soaked and our hotel room looked like a Chinese laundry with wet clothes hung up everywhere. Still raingin the next morning as we took off and it rained part of the way thru Pennsylvania, but finally the sun came out.
Sun is good!

We used to stick newspaper in the front our jackets to insulate us from cold in winter.

Man we were poor back then lol.
 
The getting wet part is par for the course on virtually any longer road trip I have ever taken-the combination with the low temps and highway speeds to boot is what takes it over the top. This is something that sneaks up on you and can be very serious as you don't realize it while it is happening. I had never understood just how this works until I experienced it. After I got home I shivered under several comforters in bed for many hours-not pleasant.

The loss of reasoning is the really dangerous part. It is also what happens to people when then fall off of boats-its the cold that gets you. Just trying to make sure others are aware of this and are careful.

And yes, the Saran wrap was quite hilarious and still makes me laugh!
 
veech_imp said:
The getting wet part is par for the course on virtually any longer road trip I have ever taken-the combination with the low temps and highway speeds to boot is what takes it over the top. This is something that sneaks up on you and can be very serious as you don't realize it while it is happening. I had never understood just how this works until I experienced it. After I got home I shivered under several comforters in bed for many hours-not pleasant.

The loss of reasoning is the really dangerous part. It is also what happens to people when then fall off of boats-its the cold that gets you. Just trying to make sure others are aware of this and are careful.

And yes, the Saran wrap was quite hilarious and still makes me laugh!
Veech,

That had to be a stitch looking at going down the road. Look mommy there's a disintegrating mummy on that motorcycle!

Chip
 
Back
Top