Old 2015 rear tire: she needs new shoes

valkyrie_rider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Gentlemen

I'm going through my new for me CB1100 (http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=19025) and verified the rear tire and it seems to date all the way back to 2015 (check the last 2 digits in the DOT code).

My guess is that given it is a 2013 Model with regular wheels (i.e. non spokes), it should have a bigger variety of tubeless tires.

The 9 years old rubber is probably not safe, I was looking for suggestions concerning tires/brands that you guys are using on your bikes.
cd70bab117252343db194060b3e67601.jpeg


bb4cd29fbf33c0acd20c4e751a701584.jpeg

I generally order from Chaparral Motorsports.

They have in stock the following tires with the right size (140/70 R18):
a) Shinko 777 ($123)
Shinko 777 Heavy Duty Rear Tire | ChapMoto.com

b) Metzeler Roadtec Z8 ($158)
https://www.chapmoto.com/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-m-spec-radial-rear-tire.html

c) Bridgestone Battlax BT-54 ($177)
Bridgestone Battlax BT-54 Sport Touring Radial Rear Tire | ChapMoto.com

Which one would you chose (a, b, c)?
 
I use Pirelli Angel GT's in the 110 front 160 rear combination

2f0f3e0b50ca57f4d55d908e3f3c1532.jpg
 
^^+1^^ me too, 2nd set for my white CB.
Had Metzeler Z8 and decided to switch for Angel GT due to longevity.
 
I'm happy with my Angels. Wearing nicely and offer great handling.
 
Thread starter
@Ferret & @Gone: this combo using Pirellis seems pretty interesting.

Can I ask:
a) How does it change the handling of the motorcycle?
b) How long do they last in general?
c) Does it change the reading of the speedometer/odometer?
 
Well the last set I put on about 3,000 miles ago at 71, 014. That replaced a set I put on at 60,510, so I got 10,504 miles out of them. The previous set I put on at 53,060 so I only got 7,450 miles out of that set, but I may have replaced them early due to an upcoming trip, I can't remember. Figure an average of 8-9,000 a set. The Michelin PR3s I used before that would go a little longer but Michelin discontinued our sizes.

Handling is great imo with the Pirellis.

have no idea if it changes the speedo/odo. I just ride the thing lol
 
In my experience, the stickier tires are softer and wear faster. Or, better handling sacrifices longevity. I look for the best combination of the two, but it has been a long time since I rode enough to see a difference.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
In my experience, the stickier tires are softer and wear faster. Or, better handling sacrifices longevity. I look for the best combination of the two, but it has been a long time since I rode enough to see a difference.
Agreed.

I mean, look at those original BT54s:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=19029&pid=346102#pid346102

Though they seem to get long mileage, but are hard, and have poor cornering behaviour.

At least my BT54s never cracked.
 
valkyrie_rider_imp said:
@Ferret & @Gone: this combo using Pirellis seems pretty interesting.

Can I ask:
a) How does it change the handling of the motorcycle?
b) How long do they last in general?
c) Does it change the reading of the speedometer/odometer?

I also run the 110/80ZR18, 160/60ZR18 Angel GT pair. This appears to correct the speedometer from reading 7% high (previous owner’s calculation) to reading accurately.
 
I've always wondered how the 160/60/18 affects the speedo myself. I have an audio GPS speedometer app and have been meaning to ride the CB with a Bluetooth earbud to compare the GPS speed with the bike's speedo. I used it to verify my RE's speedo after replacing the cable.
 
I've been running the Bridgestone T32s (radial, available in stock sizes) for the last year and really like them.
 
Between the three choices I'd cleary go for the Z8 but I like none of them =p
I think you'd be better off with a set of Pirelli Angel GT (softer tire) as suggested or the Bridgestone T32 (harder tire). I'm still sad y'all can't have the Dunlop Roadsmart 4 in 18" in the US because they show off the qualities of the CB remarkably.
 
Thread starter
Update: I've ordered the Metzeler sized in 140/70R18 as I want to learn how the bike handles with regular sized tires.

The next tire change I will order the Pirellis.
:-)
 
Back
Top