Oiling chain

Like Ferret, I'm trying something new these days. My previous practice was a) use a light silicone/teflon lube to minimize dirt accumulation (every 3-400 mi.) and b) keep the chain at the loose end of the spec to minimize wear.

The above resulted in chain life just over 21K miles on my last two DID O-ring chains. Both of those chains had to be replaced before the chains had stretched beyond the limits. The real problem was deterioration of the O-rings, which led to uneven slack when inspected. After removal and inspection, it was clear that a number of the O-rings had worn and the sealed lube had departed the link pins. The primary cause of the wear seemed to be accumulated dirt trapped between the plates acting as an abrasive, which eroded the O-rings.

My new approach will be to give the chains a good cleaning with some WD-40 and a chain brush every 5K miles or so (about once a year for each bike). While the lube I'm using attracts less dirt, it seems that the cumulative accumulation of grunge over the years was still an issue.

I have high hopes for this, as I have a few anal retentive friends who insist on spotlessly clean chains and they have been getting better than 30K miles per chain.
 
I use the Honda chain lub with Moly every 500 miles.

I clean my chain and sprockets completely with kerosene every other oil change.

In the past I use WD40 for cleaning but switched to kerosene a few years ago as it seems to do a better job than WD40, IMHO.

TINK
To address Flynride's point on chain life.

The lub and clean method mentioned above has resulted in over 80K miles out of a DID chain.

The key to long chain life in the age of o-ring chain technology is to keep the o-rings alive and happy and the chain will live a good long life.

On the extreme end; I have a friend (ex-Marine aircraft engine mechanic) who cleans and lubs his chain after every ride with high quality gun oil and get's an amazing number of miles out of a chain.

TINK

Flynrider_imp said:
 
I think the key is frequency as the dirt is the issue. I would be leery of WD40 due to penetration of the o rings. But I am no expert so I read all this with great interest.
 
Pardon the newbie question but I ask this because I bought a used 2013 and don't know if the P/O lubed the chain or it's as is from Honda. The bike only has 575 miles on it.

My chain certainly looks good. It has a quite thick coating of a light color waxy looking grease, and certainly doesn't need to be oiled/greased. Is this what it looks like from new or with using the Honda product? And what type of degreaser cleaner do you recommend to safely clean the rear wheel that's been splattered? Any household cleaner?
 
The white greasy stuff is how it comes from the factory.

I use WD 40 on a rag on the wheels.
 
Great , that's what I wanted to hear, thanks ferret!
The chain looks fantastic, apparently still as new. It looks like it'll be many more miles before it needs attention.
It's still well within spec for any slack too.
 
Guys used to get their advice from their dad, older brother, a close friend or the head mechanic down at the shop. Now they get their advice from 25,000 strangers. Al Gore kinda complicated things didn't he? Lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guys used to get their advice from their dad, older brother, a close friend or the head mechanic down at the shop. Now they get their advice from 25,000 strangers. Al Gore kinda complicated things didn't he? Lol
:rofl: OMG that was funny!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl:
 
It's a good point Ferret, but it remains interesting to me that the 25,000 divide into pretty much the same number of camps as dad, your older brother, their friend or the head mechanic. As far as I can see there's still a good quotient of opinion rather than fact in many of the positions held.

The trouble with the modern approach (should we call it post-Gore) is that it takes you a damned sight longer to consider all the different bits of advice.
 
ride4now_imp said:
I've yet to have to lube the belt on my Harley...and after 22000 miles it still looks like new...just sayin...
But yet you still went out and bought the CB that has a chain!... just sayin'...
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
I've yet to have to lube the belt on my Harley...and after 22000 miles it still looks like new...just sayin...
But yet you still went out and bought the CB that has a chain!... just sayin'...
But yet you still went out and bought the CB that has a chain!... just sayin'...
And it's the one thing I don't like on both my KLR and the CB. Oh well... guess I need to get over it. :D
 
redbirds_imp said:
I like WD-40 as a cleaner but I always spray it on a rag and wipe the chain down. I worry that spraying it liberally on the chain it might seep past the O rings and thin the grease in the rollers. Afterwards I spray on Dupont Chain Saver and wipe off the excess. This has proven to work very well on all my chain drive bikes. The Dupont product does not collect grit and does not fling off on the rear wheel. When I used conventional chain lubes years ago, my chains often were binding and needing replacement in as little as 6000 miles.
I prefer to use a dry blue shop towel to wipe the chain clean and I've also been using DuPont Chain Saver for the last few years and won't use anything else.Chain adjustments and replacements became few and far between (on my NH 750) and it's all I'm using on the CB1100.I also highly recommend RK XSO chains.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea, using WD 40 goes right along with plugging punctured tires, wearing a modular helmet, using a headlight modulator, using different sized tires than your bike came with, using a K&N air or oil filter (or worse yet a Fram filter), not wearing hi- viz or motorcycle specific armored riding gear at all times, using handlebar mounted fairings or windshields, using a different air pressure in your tires than is written in the manual, using a clip style master link, exceeding mfgs GVWR rating, using 10w40 motor oil, etc etc

Violate any of the above and you are just begging to be killed in a fiery crash directly related to the particular issue you violated. For those that violate more than 1 of the above, there is absolutely no hope. Sorry.
Guess I'm living on deaths door now, never realized that motorcycles were inherently death traps :rofl:
 
Take some grease or oil, put it in the palm of your hand. Now add some dirt, real smooth ain't it. Really good for O-rings. Last chain I kept track of was still going good at 42,000 miles. Was on an 08 GSX650F. Here's how 1)Bring bike home from dealer 2)Remove all grease from chain, no brushes, remember the O-rings 3)Check chain adjustment (the dealer has it too tight) 4)Adjust chain to the loose 1/2 of spec (never overtighten, causes premature wear) 5)Apply Dupont Chain Saver (Dupont Multipurpose Teflon Lube if you still have some) 6)Let set 1/2 hour then wipe lightly. Now every once in a while 500-800 miles apply Chain saver. Spray on at rear sprocket while turning forewards (this lets crap and excess lube run off the bottom of the chain. This takes 3-5 mins. Now go have a beverage, come back and lightly wipe chain. Just my method. I'm old and lazy. While the CB1100 is a real nice bike and I really like mine it is still just another motorcycle. Everybody have fun and stay safe
 
So the DuPont Chain Saver is the same as DuPont Multipurpose Teflon Lube? I love that Teflon Lube. I put that sh*t on everything. But the Honda dealer talked me into the Chain Wax. He said that's all that everyone uses nowadays.
 
gossman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yea, using WD 40 goes right along with plugging punctured tires, wearing a modular helmet, using a headlight modulator, using different sized tires than your bike came with, using a K&N air or oil filter (or worse yet a Fram filter), not wearing hi- viz or motorcycle specific armored riding gear at all times, using handlebar mounted fairings or windshields, using a different air pressure in your tires than is written in the manual, using a clip style master link, exceeding mfgs GVWR rating, using 10w40 motor oil, etc etc

Violate any of the above and you are just begging to be killed in a fiery crash directly related to the particular issue you violated. For those that violate more than 1 of the above, there is absolutely no hope. Sorry.
Guess I'm living on deaths door now, never realized that motorcycles were inherently death traps :rofl:
Guess I'm living on deaths door now, never realized that motorcycles were inherently death traps :rofl:
Yehaaaaa! 70 years of age and Ahm livin' on the edge. Ah luurv it.

Cheers.
 
Back
Top