1100rider_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
How often do you oil the chain under normal operation. More than in the service manual or less.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
That's interesting, I'm doing almost the same thing. Since I bought the CB, I've used WD-40 exclusively to clean and lube the chain, with one exception. From time to time I'll first clean it with Dawn detergent and water. Then I'll spray the WD liberally and wipe the residual away with a rag.The ferret_imp said:I usually over oil my chains and they get all dark, greasy and gloppy looking as does the rear sprocket and rear wheel. I'm doing something different this time. Every once in awhile (no set mileage, just when I feel like it which has been twice so far) I take a rag and soak it with WD 40 and clean the chain, then I squirt some chain lube onto a rag and just run the chain through it to lubricate the inner and outer plates. I am at 4200 miles and have yet to actually spray any chain lube on the chain. We will see if it was a wise experiment or not.
That's one of those internet legends that's been kicking around for years. A guy decided to test it and soaked a new oring chain in a bucket of WS for a few days. When he disassembled a few links there was so sign of WD past the seals.redbirds_imp said:I like WD-40 as a cleaner but I always spray it on a rag and wipe the chain down. I worry that spraying it liberally on the chain it might seep past the O rings and thin the grease in the rollers. Afterwards I spray on Dupont Chain Saver and wipe off the excess. This has proven to work very well on all my chain drive bikes. The Dupont product does not collect grit and does not fling off on the rear wheel. When I used conventional chain lubes years ago, my chains often were binding and needing replacement in as little as 6000 miles.
That's one of those internet legends that's been kicking around for years. A guy decided to test it and soaked a new oring chain in a bucket of WS for a few days. When he disassembled a few links there was so sign of WD past the seals.The Spaceman_imp said:That's one of those internet legends that's been kicking around for years. A guy decided to test it and soaked a new oring chain in a bucket of WS for a few days. When he disassembled a few links there was so sign of WD past the seals.redbirds_imp said:I like WD-40 as a cleaner but I always spray it on a rag and wipe the chain down. I worry that spraying it liberally on the chain it might seep past the O rings and thin the grease in the rollers. Afterwards I spray on Dupont Chain Saver and wipe off the excess. This has proven to work very well on all my chain drive bikes. The Dupont product does not collect grit and does not fling off on the rear wheel. When I used conventional chain lubes years ago, my chains often were binding and needing replacement in as little as 6000 miles.
But as my Grandma always said: "Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story."