Oil Temperature Gauge

I think the consensus was that the probe didn't/wouldn't go in far enough to matter. Plus, if you put your bike on the center stand and look at the oil indicator window, you will see that gauge wouldn't do much anyway.
 
Thread starter
What else could be done ? Put a probe in an other place with a manometer on the handlebar ?

It is definitely not necessary but I like the idea of looking at the motor temperature. Make it even more alive.
 
The bike has an engine oil temperature sensor (it's the two wire next to the timing chain tensioner). It's just being used as an idiot light for the temperature warning light (and I would suspect to trigger the cold idle enrichment cycle). Looking at it, it is definetely more than a simple on/off switch. I suspect if you back probed it with the bike running it you would give you a varying readout through the entire tenperature range. The only problem is connecting and calibrating a gauge to properly display the values as temperatures.
 
In the fault code list in the '13 service manual (DTC codes) one is for low EOT voltage and one is for high EOT voltage. EOT is engine oil temperature.

The low value to set a fault is 0.04v and the high value to set a fault is 4.93v

There is no graph for temp vs. voltage or anything like that. Just some checks to do if the MIL comes on so as to determine if the sensor is bad or the wiring, etc.
 
Thread starter
I will not give up.
If I summarize for the probe location:

Oil carter: the probe won't be in contact with the oil --> useless

Existing probe:

Issue: Messing with the original Honda set up --> won't risk it

Bottom of the engine:

Issue: Connecting the prob with the gauge and battery with cables under the motorcycle. (risks of touching things on the road, heat of the engine with the cables...)

Entry of the oil cooler:

Issue: I am not sure of the temp it will indicates
Seems to work: EOT meter for OEM oil cooler

What do you think?
 
I installed an oil temperature gauge on my 1966 BSA Lightning café racer. I got two readings: pinned to the left on start-up, pinned to the right after 10 minutes of riding.
 
there are oil filler caps with the gauge built in - seen them on Bonneville's and they have them for sale on ebay for our bikes
 
Back
Top