Oil site glass - wiper

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I read the "big" thread on the oil level/site glass.

But I could not find anything about using the "wiper screw" on the site glass...

... thoughts, suggestions, methods? :huh:
 
I never figured out the need for the wiper either. I've seen other bikes with just a sight glass alone, and that works perfectly fine.
 
As far as I know, you're supposed to take a small flathead and use it to wipe (by turning the screw windshield washer style, back and forth) any crud buildup off the inside of the glass if it becomes obscured. I think this is a bit of an anachronism in this day and age, but I've seen instances where it would be handy.

My first bike was a 1980 XJ650 that I got non-running after sitting for probably 15 years from my dad. That thing's sight glass was so caked with black crud that it took about 4 or 5 oil changes before you could actually see any type of oil level in the sight glass. Would have been awesome to have a wiper on that one.

With today's oil tech, I doubt this type of sludge is even possible.
 
It's there so you've something to do with your collection of otherwise redundant flat head screwdrivers.
 
As a vintage bike guy, I can attest to the fact that oil will eventually leave a brown film on the inside of the sight glass making it tough to see the oil level. On most vintage bikes, there is a thin aluminum screen of sorts on the back that makes cleaning nearly impossible. It is easy to cut this screen type thing off and wipe the sight glass to clean it. Never could figure out why a screen was placed on the inside as the sight glass is unlikely to come in contact with anything that could touch it.
 
Thread starter
I was simply curious. It's very difficult for me to get down on my knees (bad from a prior motorcycle wreck), so what I did in attempts of checking my fill level, was to snap a photo using my phone. But it's a cloudy brown looking into the thing so very difficult to see. I may try to rotate that little wiper, see if it helps any.

Thanks for the input, fellas...

... quietguy
 
qg.... Here's what I do. I looked at that sight glass the first time I changed the oil. From then on, if it's not leaking out and it's not burning it out the exhaust pipe which you would see and smell, I never look at that sight glass again. The next time I change it, I know how much oil I dumped in, and since mines not leaking or burning it's good until the next change. I MAY look at before a trip but not necessarily if I changed it recently.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's there so you've something to do with your collection of otherwise redundant flat head screwdrivers.
:rofl:

Would the use of Dactyl branded oils make a need?
:rofl:

Would the use of Dactyl branded oils make a need?
Dactyl oil is clever stuff, redbirds. When you put the first couple of liters in, the site glass wiper spins up to about 27,000 rpm as if it's trying to escape. Soon afterwards it seizes completely, which is fine as the sight glass becomes totally (and permanently) opaque. It's the oil's way of telling you never have to worry about engine lube again. And you don't. Provided you never start the engine.

On a more frivolous note, I don't understand the whole sight glass thing. What was wrong with the dipstick?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's there so you've something to do with your collection of otherwise redundant flat head screwdrivers.
:rofl:

Would the use of Dactyl branded oils make a need?
:rofl:

Would the use of Dactyl branded oils make a need?
Dactyl oil is clever stuff, redbirds. When you put the first couple of liters in, the site glass wiper spins up to about 27,000 rpm as if it's trying to escape. Soon afterwards it seizes completely, which is fine as the sight glass becomes totally (and permanently) opaque. It's the oil's way of telling you never have to worry about engine lube again. And you don't. Provided you never start the engine.

On a more frivolous note, I don't understand the whole sight glass thing. What was wrong with the dipstick?
Absolutely nothing wrong with a dipstick!

It's a PIA to get down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and a screwdriver to check the oil.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's there so you've something to do with your collection of otherwise redundant flat head screwdrivers.
:rofl:

Would the use of Dactyl branded oils make a need?
:rofl:

Would the use of Dactyl branded oils make a need?
Dactyl oil is clever stuff, redbirds. When you put the first couple of liters in, the site glass wiper spins up to about 27,000 rpm as if it's trying to escape. Soon afterwards it seizes completely, which is fine as the sight glass becomes totally (and permanently) opaque. It's the oil's way of telling you never have to worry about engine lube again. And you don't. Provided you never start the engine.

On a more frivolous note, I don't understand the whole sight glass thing. What was wrong with the dipstick?
Absolutely nothing wrong with a dipstick!

It's a PIA to get down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and a screwdriver to check the oil.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a dipstick!

It's a PIA to get down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and a screwdriver to check the oil.
Totally agree with this comment. A dipstick without having to put the bike up on its center stand would be my preference.
 
Heck the new cars are like driving an iPad. I don't like it and I'm a high tech guy. I hope motorcycles don't all get that way also.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Elipten_imp said:
Well might as well have the bike email you the oil level


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
Wow, how do I get this to happen? :)

All kidding aside, I do not really mind a sight glass but I wish i did not have to put the bike on its center stand to check the oil level. The only time I use the CS is to check oil as I am very concerned with the possibility of the bike tipping over while getting the bike up on the CS. I have tried the many tips on getting the bike on the CS but I still cannot do it without assistance. Call me a wimp but I wonder if others have the same issue with using the CS.

Maybe I should start a thread to see if my fear/inability is common?
 
Back
Top