flynrider
Road warrior
Very poor choice of words! :rofl:The ferret_imp said:Very cool!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Very poor choice of words! :rofl:The ferret_imp said:Very cool!
And that is why, ladies and gentlemen, I run 10W40Xyzzy_imp said:I took these today after a 25 minute ride. The ride was twisty backroads at about 50-55MPH. The ambient temperature was ~65°F. The engine got warmer than the previous set of pictures but it still didn't get as hot as it does when I run it for several hours.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
I will make a note to do this.The ferret_imp said:If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
I run Shell Rotella 5W40.xNE0x_imp said:And that is why, ladies and gentlemen, I run 10W40Xyzzy_imp said:I took these today after a 25 minute ride. The ride was twisty backroads at about 50-55MPH. The ambient temperature was ~65°F. The engine got warmer than the previous set of pictures but it still didn't get as hot as it does when I run it for several hours.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()

They would be the same as above. What exactly are you trying to get at?The ferret_imp said:xNEOx ... What are your readings in those areas after a 25 minute ride with the 10W40?
Thanks for that info. I said F and not C, my mistake. Corrected.kennyw_imp said:Mobil 1 synthetic lists the flash point for 10w30 at 220*C (428*F) and 10w40 at 227*C (440*F). I doubt you would see any difference in the two grades boiling in our engines. Three oils I'm looking at are probably not correct for our bikes, but I would not expect too much variation.
Mobil Super™ brand | Mobil™
This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.)The ferret_imp said:If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.) This is really neat. Thanks! Synthetic 5W40 T6 oil all day.Xyzzy_imp said:This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.)The ferret_imp said:If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
Around here I'm usually riding in temps of 100F or more for about half the year. I don't bother shutting off the engine unless I'm going to be sitting still for 10 min. or more.ish_imp said:This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.) This is really neat. Thanks! Synthetic 5W40 T6 oil all day.Xyzzy_imp said:This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.)The ferret_imp said:If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
I feel really bad whenever i get stuck on a long left hand turn light and can feel the heat from the motor. Do you guys think its better to shut the engine off for a bit or keep it running in idle when you're stopped for a long light?
Good to know as I run Mobil 1 Synthetic in mine as well. Thanks for sharing!kennyw_imp said:Mobil 1 synthetic lists the flash point for 10w30 at 220*C (428*F) and 10w40 at 227*C (440*F). I doubt you would see any difference in the two grades boiling in our engines. Three oils I'm looking at are probably not correct for our bikes, but I would not expect too much variation.
Mobil Super™ brand | Mobil™
