Oil Pressure/Temperature guage????

I took these today after a 25 minute ride. The ride was twisty backroads at about 50-55MPH. The ambient temperature was ~65°F. The engine got warmer than the previous set of pictures but it still didn't get as hot as it does when I run it for several hours.

58307d21cae2fa9c31c22c7fa09419c2.php
65aa34d5deafbb1c4bb5ce2c8103dfdf.php
14788b3f96489ef3642e7df446e6bbf0.php
277c306aaf56e9a0871ab29151834ac2.php
fab4f52f857a4e0e43a1b6cadf30e88e.php
1f984cc3d90316b5f30d2ed3439b00de.php
6157df31f47b02cd04d6eadb2da91b3a.php
fe1691f4d8452b0c534b3a07843d399d.php
a96a0b4fc6268d4cccfa9557da3e5912.php
c9fad1020bffa427df5f730316fd9e20.php
90ce07ac3f98f91c3f7fc7bd99e67dd7.php
 
Great pics. The cylinder head near the exhaust port is generally the hottest part of the engine. Looks like the temps are quite reasonable for an air cooled engine.

The last pic has me curious. I'm trying to figure out what could cause such a high temp reading on the lower part of the crankcase.

Never mind, just figured out that you're pointed at the cat, which is definitely the hottest part on the bike after a long ride.
 
If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
 
Xyzzy_imp said:
I took these today after a 25 minute ride. The ride was twisty backroads at about 50-55MPH. The ambient temperature was ~65°F. The engine got warmer than the previous set of pictures but it still didn't get as hot as it does when I run it for several hours.

58307d21cae2fa9c31c22c7fa09419c2.php
65aa34d5deafbb1c4bb5ce2c8103dfdf.php
14788b3f96489ef3642e7df446e6bbf0.php
277c306aaf56e9a0871ab29151834ac2.php
fab4f52f857a4e0e43a1b6cadf30e88e.php
1f984cc3d90316b5f30d2ed3439b00de.php
6157df31f47b02cd04d6eadb2da91b3a.php
fe1691f4d8452b0c534b3a07843d399d.php
a96a0b4fc6268d4cccfa9557da3e5912.php
c9fad1020bffa427df5f730316fd9e20.php
90ce07ac3f98f91c3f7fc7bd99e67dd7.php
And that is why, ladies and gentlemen, I run 10W40
 
xNEOx ... What are your readings in those areas after a 25 minute ride with the 10W40?
 
The ferret_imp said:
If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
I will make a note to do this.

xNE0x_imp said:
Xyzzy_imp said:
I took these today after a 25 minute ride. The ride was twisty backroads at about 50-55MPH. The ambient temperature was ~65°F. The engine got warmer than the previous set of pictures but it still didn't get as hot as it does when I run it for several hours.

58307d21cae2fa9c31c22c7fa09419c2.php
65aa34d5deafbb1c4bb5ce2c8103dfdf.php
14788b3f96489ef3642e7df446e6bbf0.php
277c306aaf56e9a0871ab29151834ac2.php
fab4f52f857a4e0e43a1b6cadf30e88e.php
1f984cc3d90316b5f30d2ed3439b00de.php
6157df31f47b02cd04d6eadb2da91b3a.php
fe1691f4d8452b0c534b3a07843d399d.php
a96a0b4fc6268d4cccfa9557da3e5912.php
c9fad1020bffa427df5f730316fd9e20.php
90ce07ac3f98f91c3f7fc7bd99e67dd7.php
And that is why, ladies and gentlemen, I run 10W40
I run Shell Rotella 5W40.

 
The ferret_imp said:
xNEOx ... What are your readings in those areas after a 25 minute ride with the 10W40?
They would be the same as above. What exactly are you trying to get at?
 
Did I miss that those readings were with 10/40? I thought those were with the 10/30. I was trying to find a comparison to see if the 30 runs hotter than the 40 and if so by how much.
 
It wouldn't matter. Running a thicker oil won't cool it anymore than running a thinner oil. What matters at that point is your oil viscosity. I think (don't quote me) that a 10w30 oil starts to boil around 220 degrees C. Yes, the 1100 has an oil cooler but.. Get stuck in traffic with hot ambient temps, I'd much rather have that 10w40 in mine. I should be running a oil cooler on my CB750, as it has a big bore kit in it but I do not. Hence why I run 20w50 in it, and have not had an issue.

Run what you want, I am sure the 30 won't hurt anything but based on what those images show me I feel better with a 40 in it.
 
Great pics! Wow - 220 boiling point. I remember my VFR getting to that temp before the radiator fans kicked in. Always ran Rotella in that one. I was considering returning to Rotella T6 5w40 for the hotter part of the summer in the CB.
 
Mobil 1 synthetic lists the flash point for 10w30 at 220*C (428*F) and 10w40 at 227*C (440*F). I doubt you would see any difference in the two grades boiling in our engines. Three oils I'm looking at are probably not correct for our bikes, but I would not expect too much variation.

Mobil Super™ brand | Mobil™
 
kennyw_imp said:
Mobil 1 synthetic lists the flash point for 10w30 at 220*C (428*F) and 10w40 at 227*C (440*F). I doubt you would see any difference in the two grades boiling in our engines. Three oils I'm looking at are probably not correct for our bikes, but I would not expect too much variation.

Mobil Super™ brand | Mobil™
Thanks for that info. I said F and not C, my mistake. Corrected.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T:

Flash Point, °C (ASTM D93), 212 / 413.6 Degrees F

Bob the oil guy's review:

Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 253 / 487.4 Degrees F


No idea why the difference?


I could not find any specs on the GN4 that honda recommends for our bikes, but I did find this:

Pro Honda GN4 - Black bottle/red label. Intended as an all around 4-stroke
oil motorcycle for normal everyday riding; low heat applications. GN4 is a
petroleum-based motorcycle 4-stroke oil recommended for scooters, ATV's and
motorcycles used for light duty and low heat usage. Commuting, normal street
rides, casual trail use and low engine stress situations do not cause as much heat
to build up in the engine therefore a less expensive additive package can be
utilized. This is our original motorcycle oil formula developed specifically for
motorcycles and blended with an additive package to meet the unique shifting
requirements of shared engine and transmission sump designs. GN4 is packaged in a 1-litre black
bottle with a red label, available in 10W30, 10W40, 20W50 and also 5w30 weight for cold
weather ATV use.
 
The ferret_imp said:
If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.)

 
Xyzzy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.)
This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.) This is really neat. Thanks! Synthetic 5W40 T6 oil all day.

I feel really bad whenever i get stuck on a long left hand turn light and can feel the heat from the motor. Do you guys think its better to shut the engine off for a bit or keep it running in idle when you're stopped for a long light?
 
ish_imp said:
Xyzzy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
If you get the opportunity, shoot a reading on the spark plug area where Honda went to great lengths to keep temps down with oil galleries and bolt on finning.
This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.)
This was taken after a 30 minute ride and while idling for maybe a minute or so. (The engine is running.) The oil cooler read 220°F and the ambient air temperature was ~80°F. (You can see how the mirrored cam caps don't register properly due to the reflective nature of their finish.) This is really neat. Thanks! Synthetic 5W40 T6 oil all day.

I feel really bad whenever i get stuck on a long left hand turn light and can feel the heat from the motor. Do you guys think its better to shut the engine off for a bit or keep it running in idle when you're stopped for a long light?
Around here I'm usually riding in temps of 100F or more for about half the year. I don't bother shutting off the engine unless I'm going to be sitting still for 10 min. or more.

One of the only times I overheated a bike was waiting in a long line for an emissions test on a hot day. I couldn't shut off the bike because the battery was toast. It was about 30 min. and when I finally got to the front of the line, the bike failed the test because it was overheated. This was on my carbed CB750 and the first clue that it was overheating was that the idle would start to get rough and lower than normal. Not sure if you'd see that on a fuel injected, computer controlled CB11.
 
I would imagine not. The biggest thing is people need to understand how an air cooled motor behaves. It's not like it's liquid cooled brethren.
 
kennyw_imp said:
Mobil 1 synthetic lists the flash point for 10w30 at 220*C (428*F) and 10w40 at 227*C (440*F). I doubt you would see any difference in the two grades boiling in our engines. Three oils I'm looking at are probably not correct for our bikes, but I would not expect too much variation.

Mobil Super™ brand | Mobil™
Good to know as I run Mobil 1 Synthetic in mine as well. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
 
Anyone actually know what steps the bike takes to prevent itself from overheating at idle? I've looked around and can't find anything on the Internet. I would think it would be something like dropping random cylinders, but if it is I sure can't feel it.
 
Back
Top