Oil Pressure/Temperature guage????

bikerdave_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Ok, Guys. I am sorry to bring this up. I know(I do hope my mind has not gone that for that fast - too many shots to the head) that I saw
a mod for an Oil pressure guage that went into the oil filler access to the crankcase and now I can not find it. WHAT???? I do believe that the purveyor was from Europe. Any help finding it would be appreciated. Yes. I did try the search engine but search engines and I do not do well together. Thanks. Dave
 
Temperature gauge. There was a farkle thread a while back. I can't find it either.

I looked around for a while and finally found one. Reads in deg C. JMT model 709.08.22. I got it from ajsutton.co.uk. - thread x pitch: 20 x 2.5 mm- thread length: 11mm - total needle length: 32 mm - exposed needle length: 6 mm.

It's never gotten above about 78 C even on a really hot day after a long uphill grind. Most of the time it reads about 68 C. Looks cool.
 
Dave, you may have lost your mind but it's not because of this. I, too, remember that discussion. I haven't searched for it myself and trust that between you and Pauley, one of you would have found it by now. The item Pauley found might work but, if it were me, I'd waste too much time trying to do conversions in my head to understand what the temperature was! Good luck to you.
 
Hello Bikerface,

is it this funny thing your looking for?

Yes, it is sold in Europe by a motorcycle accessory dealer called Louis.
You can google the shop, I think it has a translation service.

The CB behaves very well with its oiltemperature.
So, don't worry!

Wisedrum
 
I found something similar in a thread about three low cost farkles but I couldn't pull up the website. It's more than likely the same thing Wisedrum just found.
 
Thread starter
Pauley, Guitarded, Wise, and Novice. Thanks for the reassurance on my mind as well as the information. Wise. That picture is exactly what it looked like when I first ran
into it on a thread. Yea. Novice, that is the thread that I red too. It, for me, would be a cool looking warning system. And Yea Guitarded, I'd do the exact same thing
about trying to ride and do the conversion math in my head. Pauley, thanks for the reassurance on the heat issue. Honda's in-line 4's have always been hot lumps but
not had a whole bunch of heating issues unless really pushed hard or not maintained in my experience. This one appears so far to be very much in that line. Thanks one
and all.
 
That is also my concern. I mounted that gauge on my CB1100 some days ago and rode the motor bike last weekend. It took quite long that the gauge came up to 80°C (warm-up phase), much longer than I expected (approx. 20 min ride and thereof approx. 10 km on a highway). The feeler is quite short (of course not to damage anything inside the crank case) but that seems to lead to the effect that the gauge does not really measure/display the oil temperature but the air temperature inside the crank case. Maybe from time to time some drops of hot oil are thrown to the top of the crank case and hit the feeler... ;)
 
Ingobohn,

Maybe you could ride till its hot, then turn off the engine and stick a meat or candy thermometer or some such in the oil and see if it matches your gauge. Just a thought.
 
Yeah, good proposal.
Yesterday evening I did a 1 h ride after work. Outside it was approx. 20°C, the oil temp gauge never exceeded the 75°C.
 
In a German W Forum they had a discussion about the topic, how much the "real" oil temperature differs from the shown value of the gauge.
At least the conclusion was 10°C or even a bit more.
I can live with this insight without proofing it.

Mostly I see 50°C up to 60°C on the gauge, so I add round about 15°C and recognize, the Honda is a kind of ectotherm in spring, which won't get in trouble of too high temperature.

Wisedrum
 
There has got to be an oil gallery to tap for this (I don't have the bike around me now, but it does look like there are several oil galleries plugged by Allen head bolts that one could tap off.
 
I don't know about the 2013s; but the 2014 has an oil-temperature warning light.

And an oil pressure light. Now I know idiot lights aren't as good as gauge readings; but there's a limit to the amount of gauging a manufacturer is going to hang on a cycle. Lights were deemed accurate.

I'd prefer a pressure gauge; but the temp gauge is probably just as well. I might miss, in traffic, a high reading. If the light comes on it will catch my eye; and there is no question but the thing is telling me, "too hot."
 
These IR pictures were taken after a quick ride around the neighborhood. Maybe 10 minutes?

The ambient temperature was ~73°F.

The bike was not even close to being heat soaked. After a long ride I am unable to safely touch the crankcase and the frame around the engine gets hot. (Heat soaked.) When these pictures were taken the crankcase was moderately warm to the touch and the frame was cool to the touch.

I will try to get better pictures but I don't have access to this fancy camera often. I'd like to get pictures of the chain and the brakes after a long run also.

8cdda289c7afa71e7c5b64bcb5444484.php
228ce0b1c861069ca5b6425569c44780.php
1fe798da6a507d743d9b61a1b42e19d1.php
ce16c88f98ac6a3ac777fe92ba839e0a.php
48f9fd13cd1d99329dcde3b9a0bb1e76.php
0f9c289949e99dd3a207ec5ff3e57101.php
115d5dc830b68b14a9af011fd50a1653.php
 
Agree, these are some nice pics, thank you for sharing. In my industry (oil and gas), we also use FLIR cameras. They can be outstanding diagnostic tools.
 
Back
Top