Oil Leak - Just got work done and then moved.

NickyV_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello All - Sorry as I'm just joining the forum but would like to start working more on my bike. Now that I have a bit more time I'm hoping that I can knock this one out as where I moved to, all mechanics are weeks out.

So I just got my bike back from a mechanic last week in CA the day I had movers packing everything up. Then I noticed the leak when I got home but didn't have time to take it back to him. Now I'm in GA and in a pickle. I know the picture doesn't show much but I'm ready to start digging to try to figure out where the issue is coming from. Appreciate any and all help!

Thanks!
 
:hello: howdy and welcome to the forum. Tell us what the mechanic did to the bike. What was it in the shop for?
 
Welcome Nicky!

As you are in Augusta, any help will be provided after receiving a ticket for next years Masters. PM me for my address ;)

Like Ferret said, more info is needed. What work was done. Where is the leak coming from? Is it oil? or fuel?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
:hello: howdy and welcome to the forum. Tell us what the mechanic did to the bike. What was it in the shop for?
Thank you!!

It was my daily commuter so was taking it in for regular maintenance, oil and since the move was coming up wanted to do a service as I'm at 23k miles.

Here is the list of what was done:
Oil/Filter change
Adjust throttle freeplay
Adjusted clutch
Valve adjustment - 3 exhaust valves on far right side were adjusted. 2 intake valves on right side were adjusted.
Spark plugs were replaced
Synchronized FI - I don't know what that means.
Replaced chain and sprocket

Appreciate the support and hopefully this helps some.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Welcome Nicky!

As you are in Augusta, any help will be provided after receiving a ticket for next years Masters. PM me for my address ;)

Like Ferret said, more info is needed. What work was done. Where is the leak coming from? Is it oil? or fuel?
Haha... I don't know how I would qualify or get tickets since I just got here but possibly!

Just responded to Ferret on what was done as you replied. It feels like oil, definitely is not fuel. I haven't worked on motorcycles though, so wasn't sure if there were other fluids that looked and felt like motor oil. Color wise and since it was just changed, make me believe it is oil.

Thanks for the response!


**Quick edit -- Guess I didn't mention that the two hoses in the picture are where the oil were coming from. Though it was difficult to see if it was coming OUT of the hoses.. If that helps any.
 
Just joking about the tickets. There is NO WAY you are getting tickets. Not happening.

Well, not coming out of the big hose as it is plugged. I *think* the little hose is from the vapor canister, but I'd have to check the manual to be sure.

The only fluids our bikes have is engine oil, brake/clutch fluid, fork oil and whatever you put on the chain. Stock battery is AGM.

Still need more info. What was done to the bike. Was it shipped or ever laying down?

Get a mirror and flashlight and look under there and try to see where its coming from. Is the oil filter on tight? Feel around the filter and see if oil is leaking out of the bottom and blowing/ flowing back on the bottom of the engine. If so, replace filter and make sure there are not 2 seals installed (its happened).
 
Nicky according to the photo the oil seems to come from the oil drain plug which is on the bottom of the lowest part of the engine.
This is where the engine oil is released by unscrewing the bolt with a 17 mm spanner.
When replacing the bolt after the oil is drained it is screwed back into the engine casing with an aluminium washer, check if this bolt is not loose,
and if there is a washer installed, the washer is about 1 mm thick and acts as a heat resistant seal for the drain plug.

And like Popgun said check the oil filter at the front of the engine, it is screwed on by hand until tight and the rubber ring that is attached to the
filter seals and keeps the filter in it's place.
Also check that the oil filter does NOT have a 17 mm hex nut spotwelded to the filter, they have frequently separated and caused a big mess.

If the oil comes from the cylinder head gasket there should be a lot of oil on the back of the cooling fins but that is unlikely.

Is the oil leaving the engine when just standing in the garage and what is the oil level in the sight glass if the bike is on the center stand?

Another possibility is that the bike is over filled with oil and it is spilling over through the air filter housing which is just above the engine,
the oil level check should confirm this, the oil level should be between the two marks on the sight glass when on the center stand engine off.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just joking about the tickets. There is NO WAY you are getting tickets. Not happening.

Well, not coming out of the big hose as it is plugged. I *think* the little hose is from the vapor canister, but I'd have to check the manual to be sure.

The only fluids our bikes have is engine oil, brake/clutch fluid, fork oil and whatever you put on the chain. Stock battery is AGM.

Still need more info. What was done to the bike. Was it shipped or ever laying down?

Get a mirror and flashlight and look under there and try to see where its coming from. Is the oil filter on tight? Feel around the filter and see if oil is leaking out of the bottom and blowing/ flowing back on the bottom of the engine. If so, replace filter and make sure there are not 2 seals installed (its happened).
Lol I figured. I appreciate both of you guys replying. Just got back so I'll run out and check everything. Here is what was done:

Oil/Filter change
Adjust throttle freeplay
Adjusted clutch
Valve adjustment - 3 exhaust valves on far right side were adjusted. 2 intake valves on right side were adjusted.
Spark plugs were replaced
Synchronized FI - I don't know what that means.
Replaced chain and sprocket

As for the timeline, picked up bike last Wednesday. Got home and started prepping bike for movers (they had it upright the whole drive). I had to take the gas out which I had difficulty so I was letting it idle since there was not much left. That's when I noticed the oil coming out. It came out more when I had the bike running. When I checked the oil this morning as center as possible it was quite low. So I ordered some oil as I don't have any vehicles to get around right now.
max_imp said:
Nicky according to the photo the oil seems to come from the oil drain plug which is on the bottom of the lowest part of the engine.
This is where the engine oil is released by unscrewing the bolt with a 17 mm spanner.
When replacing the bolt after the oil is drained it is screwed back into the engine casing with an aluminium washer, check if this bolt is not loose,
and if there is a washer installed, the washer is about 1 mm thick and acts as a heat resistant seal for the drain plug.

And like Popgun said check the oil filter at the front of the engine, it is screwed on by hand until tight and the rubber ring that is attached to the
filter seals and keeps the filter in it's place.
Also check that the oil filter does NOT have a 17 mm hex nut spotwelded to the filter, they have frequently separated and caused a big mess.

If the oil comes from the cylinder head gasket there should be a lot of oil on the back of the cooling fins but that is unlikely.

Is the oil leaving the engine when just standing in the garage and what is the oil level in the sight glass if the bike is on the center stand?

Another possibility is that the bike is over filled with oil and it is spilling over through the air filter housing which is just above the engine,
the oil level check should confirm this, the oil level should be between the two marks on the sight glass when on the center stand engine off.
Awesome, appreciate the responses. I'll go check the oil drain plug. I would assume this is similar to cars in that sense, with the washer on the bolt and filter. I've had an issue in the past with a filter that had the bolt at the front of it and have told other mechanics that I don't want that but I honestly didn't check it this time so I will look now.

Oil is definitely low so I'll go put it on the center stand and try to get a better look under it.

Thanks again for your help!!
Lol I figured. I appreciate both of you guys replying. Just got back so I'll run out and check everything. Here is what was done:

Oil/Filter change
Adjust throttle freeplay
Adjusted clutch
Valve adjustment - 3 exhaust valves on far right side were adjusted. 2 intake valves on right side were adjusted.
Spark plugs were replaced
Synchronized FI - I don't know what that means.
Replaced chain and sprocket

As for the timeline, picked up bike last Wednesday. Got home and started prepping bike for movers (they had it upright the whole drive). I had to take the gas out which I had difficulty so I was letting it idle since there was not much left. That's when I noticed the oil coming out. It came out more when I had the bike running. When I checked the oil this morning as center as possible it was quite low. So I ordered some oil as I don't have any vehicles to get around right now.
max_imp said:
Nicky according to the photo the oil seems to come from the oil drain plug which is on the bottom of the lowest part of the engine.
This is where the engine oil is released by unscrewing the bolt with a 17 mm spanner.
When replacing the bolt after the oil is drained it is screwed back into the engine casing with an aluminium washer, check if this bolt is not loose,
and if there is a washer installed, the washer is about 1 mm thick and acts as a heat resistant seal for the drain plug.

And like Popgun said check the oil filter at the front of the engine, it is screwed on by hand until tight and the rubber ring that is attached to the
filter seals and keeps the filter in it's place.
Also check that the oil filter does NOT have a 17 mm hex nut spotwelded to the filter, they have frequently separated and caused a big mess.

If the oil comes from the cylinder head gasket there should be a lot of oil on the back of the cooling fins but that is unlikely.

Is the oil leaving the engine when just standing in the garage and what is the oil level in the sight glass if the bike is on the center stand?

Another possibility is that the bike is over filled with oil and it is spilling over through the air filter housing which is just above the engine,
the oil level check should confirm this, the oil level should be between the two marks on the sight glass when on the center stand engine off.
Awesome, appreciate the responses. I'll go check the oil drain plug. I would assume this is similar to cars in that sense, with the washer on the bolt and filter. I've had an issue in the past with a filter that had the bolt at the front of it and have told other mechanics that I don't want that but I honestly didn't check it this time so I will look now.

Oil is definitely low so I'll go put it on the center stand and try to get a better look under it.

Thanks again for your help!!
Here is an update for max and popgun.

So the bolt and washer are there on the drain plug, though I don't have a torque wrench it did not feel loose. The same for the filter, I tried to tighten with my hand and didn't get any movement. I added some picture from underneath as well but is quite difficult to find the source. I started and let it run for a bit, the glass view for the oil is really hard to see so I'm going to go back and clean it the glass, any rec's on being able to see it better. On the center stand it actually looks like there may be enough but on the low side.

One question, if it does happen to be overflow where would it come out from?

I apologize for the picture quality. My camera focus is bad, if better pictures are needed then I can find something else.

As always, appreciate all the help!!!
Lol I figured. I appreciate both of you guys replying. Just got back so I'll run out and check everything. Here is what was done:

Oil/Filter change
Adjust throttle freeplay
Adjusted clutch
Valve adjustment - 3 exhaust valves on far right side were adjusted. 2 intake valves on right side were adjusted.
Spark plugs were replaced
Synchronized FI - I don't know what that means.
Replaced chain and sprocket

As for the timeline, picked up bike last Wednesday. Got home and started prepping bike for movers (they had it upright the whole drive). I had to take the gas out which I had difficulty so I was letting it idle since there was not much left. That's when I noticed the oil coming out. It came out more when I had the bike running. When I checked the oil this morning as center as possible it was quite low. So I ordered some oil as I don't have any vehicles to get around right now.
max_imp said:
Nicky according to the photo the oil seems to come from the oil drain plug which is on the bottom of the lowest part of the engine.
This is where the engine oil is released by unscrewing the bolt with a 17 mm spanner.
When replacing the bolt after the oil is drained it is screwed back into the engine casing with an aluminium washer, check if this bolt is not loose,
and if there is a washer installed, the washer is about 1 mm thick and acts as a heat resistant seal for the drain plug.

And like Popgun said check the oil filter at the front of the engine, it is screwed on by hand until tight and the rubber ring that is attached to the
filter seals and keeps the filter in it's place.
Also check that the oil filter does NOT have a 17 mm hex nut spotwelded to the filter, they have frequently separated and caused a big mess.

If the oil comes from the cylinder head gasket there should be a lot of oil on the back of the cooling fins but that is unlikely.

Is the oil leaving the engine when just standing in the garage and what is the oil level in the sight glass if the bike is on the center stand?

Another possibility is that the bike is over filled with oil and it is spilling over through the air filter housing which is just above the engine,
the oil level check should confirm this, the oil level should be between the two marks on the sight glass when on the center stand engine off.
Awesome, appreciate the responses. I'll go check the oil drain plug. I would assume this is similar to cars in that sense, with the washer on the bolt and filter. I've had an issue in the past with a filter that had the bolt at the front of it and have told other mechanics that I don't want that but I honestly didn't check it this time so I will look now.

Oil is definitely low so I'll go put it on the center stand and try to get a better look under it.

Thanks again for your help!!
Lol I figured. I appreciate both of you guys replying. Just got back so I'll run out and check everything. Here is what was done:

Oil/Filter change
Adjust throttle freeplay
Adjusted clutch
Valve adjustment - 3 exhaust valves on far right side were adjusted. 2 intake valves on right side were adjusted.
Spark plugs were replaced
Synchronized FI - I don't know what that means.
Replaced chain and sprocket

As for the timeline, picked up bike last Wednesday. Got home and started prepping bike for movers (they had it upright the whole drive). I had to take the gas out which I had difficulty so I was letting it idle since there was not much left. That's when I noticed the oil coming out. It came out more when I had the bike running. When I checked the oil this morning as center as possible it was quite low. So I ordered some oil as I don't have any vehicles to get around right now.
max_imp said:
Nicky according to the photo the oil seems to come from the oil drain plug which is on the bottom of the lowest part of the engine.
This is where the engine oil is released by unscrewing the bolt with a 17 mm spanner.
When replacing the bolt after the oil is drained it is screwed back into the engine casing with an aluminium washer, check if this bolt is not loose,
and if there is a washer installed, the washer is about 1 mm thick and acts as a heat resistant seal for the drain plug.

And like Popgun said check the oil filter at the front of the engine, it is screwed on by hand until tight and the rubber ring that is attached to the
filter seals and keeps the filter in it's place.
Also check that the oil filter does NOT have a 17 mm hex nut spotwelded to the filter, they have frequently separated and caused a big mess.

If the oil comes from the cylinder head gasket there should be a lot of oil on the back of the cooling fins but that is unlikely.

Is the oil leaving the engine when just standing in the garage and what is the oil level in the sight glass if the bike is on the center stand?

Another possibility is that the bike is over filled with oil and it is spilling over through the air filter housing which is just above the engine,
the oil level check should confirm this, the oil level should be between the two marks on the sight glass when on the center stand engine off.
Awesome, appreciate the responses. I'll go check the oil drain plug. I would assume this is similar to cars in that sense, with the washer on the bolt and filter. I've had an issue in the past with a filter that had the bolt at the front of it and have told other mechanics that I don't want that but I honestly didn't check it this time so I will look now.

Oil is definitely low so I'll go put it on the center stand and try to get a better look under it.

Thanks again for your help!!
Here is an update for max and popgun.

So the bolt and washer are there on the drain plug, though I don't have a torque wrench it did not feel loose. The same for the filter, I tried to tighten with my hand and didn't get any movement. I added some picture from underneath as well but is quite difficult to find the source. I started and let it run for a bit, the glass view for the oil is really hard to see so I'm going to go back and clean it the glass, any rec's on being able to see it better. On the center stand it actually looks like there may be enough but on the low side.

One question, if it does happen to be overflow where would it come out from?

I apologize for the picture quality. My camera focus is bad, if better pictures are needed then I can find something else.

As always, appreciate all the help!!!
 
Pictures don't show any fresh oil near the filter or drain plug. If you look at the drain plug, the aluminum crush washer has been tightened so much the edges of it are starting to curl over the lip of the drain bolt's edge. All that means is the washer should be replaced next time so that it compresses and seals properly without over-tightening the bolt. But not a problem now as it appears to be sealing. My guess is the oil is from the valve cover area when the valves were inspected, and residual oil in the cover dripped down eventually.
 
PD may have it. But humor me and look at your clutch reservoir and check the level in the window if you would.

Or, clean that engine and then find the leak. :)
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PD may have it. But humor me and look at your clutch reservoir and check the level in the window if you would.

Or, clean that engine and then find the leak. :)
Oh. Where is that window? I can do a quick search but I didn't know it had one.

I'm going to clean it up in the morning because when I had it idling, I didn't see it coming out as it was before. Though there was quite a bit just hanging out.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PD may have it. But humor me and look at your clutch reservoir and check the level in the window if you would.

Or, clean that engine and then find the leak. :)
:rofl: this is a rocket science :P
 
The window is about 2” in front of the rear break lever. It has a slot for a small screw driver that can be used to wipe clean the inside. Bike has to be on the center stand or held level to get an accurate reading
 
Thread starter
gmike_imp said:
The window is about 2” in front of the rear break lever. It has a slot for a small screw driver that can be used to wipe clean the inside. Bike has to be on the center stand or held level to get an accurate reading
Is it this one? I didn't post because I need to clean and take a better picture with something else. Didn't get a chance to do it before sun went down. But I can do it in the morning. I thought this was for the oil unless there is another window that I just haven't seen yet?

Again, thanks for all the help and patience! Need to get familiar with my bike so I appreciate all the support here.
 
yes, thats the engine oil check window.

Look on the clutch reservoir window for clutch fluid level.

I wonder about it as you said the clutch was adjusted. Our clutch is hydraulic. There is nothing to adjust. Maybe it was bled and the bleeder not tightened.
The clutch reservoir is where the clutch lever is. The window is a little round thing.

Nick, no offense, but it sounds like you don’t know a lot about motorcycles. You may have to get some professional help. You DO need to buy a service manual.

OTOH, we’ll try to help!
 
NickyV_imp said:
Hello All - Sorry as I'm just joining the forum but would like to start working more on my bike. Now that I have a bit more time I'm hoping that I can knock this one out as where I moved to, all mechanics are weeks out.

So I just got my bike back from a mechanic last week in CA the day I had movers packing everything up. Then I noticed the leak when I got home but didn't have time to take it back to him. Now I'm in GA and in a pickle. I know the picture doesn't show much but I'm ready to start digging to try to figure out where the issue is coming from. Appreciate any and all help!

Thanks!
Firstly NickyV - Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing I noticed was your bleeder tube is full of (apparently new) oil. This tells me something is overfilled somewhere and got into maybe the airbox (not sure how). Nevertheless, unclamp and pull the black end cap and drain the entire tube. Replace the cap and the clamp.



Also consider locating where that comes from (The airbox? Engine block?). If the airbox, get to it, open it, and wipe the inside dry with a rag.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
NickyV_imp said:
Hello All - Sorry as I'm just joining the forum but would like to start working more on my bike. Now that I have a bit more time I'm hoping that I can knock this one out as where I moved to, all mechanics are weeks out.

So I just got my bike back from a mechanic last week in CA the day I had movers packing everything up. Then I noticed the leak when I got home but didn't have time to take it back to him. Now I'm in GA and in a pickle. I know the picture doesn't show much but I'm ready to start digging to try to figure out where the issue is coming from. Appreciate any and all help!

Thanks!
Firstly NickyV - Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing I noticed was your bleeder tube is full of (apparently new) oil. This tells me something is overfilled somewhere and got into maybe the airbox (not sure how). Nevertheless, unclamp and pull the black end cap and drain the entire tube. Replace the cap and the clamp.



Also consider locating where that comes from (The airbox? Engine block?). If the airbox, get to it, open it, and wipe the inside dry with a rag.
Firstly NickyV - Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing I noticed was your bleeder tube is full of (apparently new) oil. This tells me something is overfilled somewhere and got into maybe the airbox (not sure how). Nevertheless, unclamp and pull the black end cap and drain the entire tube. Replace the cap and the clamp.



Also consider locating where that comes from (The airbox? Engine block?). If the airbox, get to it, open it, and wipe the inside dry with a rag.
Yes it is. Got it, I will do that first thing in the morning. To get to the airbox, do I pull off one of the side panels? Not sure if called a panel but want to make sure I wipe as much as possible to see if I continue to get more oil to leak.

Thanks for the support!
 
Well, that's a lot of oil coming out. From the engine bottom photo, since the other parts of the engine is dry. Its easy to trace the oil leak since the rest of the place is dry. Just follow the trails of the oil. If the top cover had been open before (valve clearance jobs) check for leak around the cover, especially near the back of the cover adjacent to the throttle body. The rubber seal easily get "flip" here due to the tight working space. Also check the breather hose from the top cover to the airbox. Might had miss and forgot to put back. If want to check if oil are from inside of hose or outside of hose, just take a cotton bud tip and poke into the hose to check if inside is dry or wet.
If oil are from airbox, there's another short L shape drain tube near to the engine oil temperature sensor, you can open this up and check if its full of oil. But I doubt the airbox can have so much engine oil without choking the throttle.
Do share your finding and solution once you got it fixed.
 
Some of the oil in the crankcase gets whipped up into a vapor from pistons going up and down and from rotating crank, balancer, gears, shafts and from the camchain. Because the volume of air within the crankcase isn't constant, the crankcase fumes vent into the airbox, where it accumulates and drips down into that translucent tube with the cap.

Draining it is a normal maintenance step, and it can be reached from the bottom of the bike. But it looks like it is holding and not the cause of your leak.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Some of the oil in the crankcase gets whipped up into a vapor from pistons going up and down and from rotating crank, balancer, gears, shafts and from the camchain. Because the volume of air within the crankcase isn't constant, the crankcase fumes vent into the airbox, where it accumulates and drips down into that translucent tube with the cap.

Draining it is a normal maintenance step, and it can be reached from the bottom of the bike. But it looks like it is holding and not the cause of your leak.
Agreed. However, because the hose appears "full", it could be overflowing at the source.
 
Getting to the airbox is a tad tricky. You have to remove the right side panel, and maybe lift the tank slightly to get to the plastic airbox cover screw at the top. That screw may be behind a cable harness that you just have to slightly move out of the way. Off hand I can't remember the other airbox cover fasteners, but it's obvious.

Look in there before you start wiping. There is a sensor in there and you don't want to damage it.
 
Back
Top