Oil filter torque values

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Today I changed the oil and oil filters on my three CB 1100 's
One thing what has puzzled me the last 5 years is the high torque value on the filter ( 19 lbf-ft)
I had the same filter and oil filter boss on my CB 1000's and Honda advised only 9 lbf-ft !
The treads on the filter and boss are identical on both CB 1000 and the CB 1100 but why the difference in torque ?
Is water cooled/ oil cooled the difference ?
I only torqued them this time to 15 instead of 19.
Could it be a "print" mistake in the manuals ?
 
I don't know Houtman I also don't know many that actually torque that part. I hand tighten them 1/2 turn or so once the gasket touches. Haven't had one fall off yet lol
 
What redbirds said.
 
There is a tq spec for an oil filter?

..and this is coming from a guy who has a workshop manual for all of his numerous vehicles....with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 tq wrenches....
In other words- turn with hand until snug, release fingers, regrip, and turn again until more snug... :)
 
Rocky_imp said:
I'm with ferret and the others, hand tight and just a bit more.
Never had a failure or leak in 25 years.
+1 ....and this includes all car's oil filters as well = never failed in my career and others techs within last 35 years:thumbsup:

To answer your question Houtman, 19 lbf-ft is correct for oil filter - as per CB1100 Honda manual..... and if you do not know your own strength, go to gym for testing:P..lol...

Have a safe and oil leak free ride..

pb
 
Thread starter
To me it seems that the 19 lbs is too high ,remember some members did have trouble removing the filter installed at the factory.
 
Houtman_imp said:
To me it seems that the 19 lbs is too high ,remember some members did have trouble removing the filter installed at the factory.
As I said, "hand tight" is the most common practise, and I only provided specs as per shop manual..., for comparison., I also checked for you an oil filter torque for one Asian car and it says 9 - 12 lb-ft....:huh:
I've never torqued any oil filter in my life, ever, always "hand tight"
Info written on OEM oil filter = 24-30 N-m = 17 - 22 lb-ft

Your choice:thumbsup:
:beerchug:

pb
 
Many will remember the thread about the factory oil filter being on so tight it nearly took "unusual measures" to break it loose. Mine was a bear to loosen and for a while I didn't think I would ever break it free, but persistence finally paid off.
Godzilla must have been working on the assembly line that day :D :D :D
 
Rocky_imp said:
Many will remember the thread about the factory oil filter being on so tight it nearly took "unusual measures" to break it loose. Mine was a bear to loosen and for a while I didn't think I would ever break it free, but persistence finally paid off.
Godzilla must have been working on the assembly line that day :D :D :D
Rocky, everytime I see that blue tank in your author area, I think, wow!
 
Mine seemed overly tight too, but it had been installed by the dealer as part of a routine oil change, not by the factory. I couldn't remove it without using a Honda filter cap wrench (which, by the way, works perfectly for removing the front axle on a '14. Just flip it around and use the butt end as a socket).
 
pdedse_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
Many will remember the thread about the factory oil filter being on so tight it nearly took "unusual measures" to break it loose. Mine was a bear to loosen and for a while I didn't think I would ever break it free, but persistence finally paid off.
Godzilla must have been working on the assembly line that day :D :D :D
Rocky, everytime I see that blue tank in your author area, I think, wow!
Rocky, everytime I see that blue tank in your author area, I think, wow!
Thanks, that pearl Spencer blue is a nice deep color and looks lovely in the sun.
We are a small market in the scheme of things so only get one model and one color - take it or leave it.
I like the Honda candy color red, but am very happy with the blue.
 
Beardyweirdy, are the nuts actuall moulded into the metals welded like the K&N filters. The latter have proved highly fallible and I will never touch another. I have bought a HiFlo filter for my CB, but it was identical to the OEM filter.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Beardyweirdy, are the nuts actuall moulded into the metals welded like the K&N filters. The latter have proved highly fallible and I will never touch another. I have bought a HiFlo filter for my CB, but it was identical to the OEM filter.
Hey Cormanus,
Yep, it's formed into the actual filter. I read good things about the quality of the 'Hi-Flo' filtering but haven't had to remove one yet!
Just figured it would work but then assumption is the mother... as they say.

Did the K&N filter split at the nut when you tried to remove it?
 
The standard filter is so easily removed that I've no reason to use any other. I've had many oil filters on new bikes that were very difficult to remove for that first oil change. I think it's a case of no oil smeared on the O ring on the assembly line.
 
Back
Top