Oil Filter Options

mvk24, I think I’ve deleted the Bosch 3300 filter as requested. Could you please confirm.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
mvk24, I think I’ve deleted the Bosch 3300 filter as requested. Could you please confirm.
Confirmed, thank you Cormanus.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Houtman_imp said:
The only question I have is when people say " I /they had no problem using "X' oil filter . what kind of problem are they waiting for : oil on the rear wheel , engine seizing up , excessive engine wear ??? I only ever use Honda OEM oil filters , cheap enough if you buy multiples at one time.
I agree for the most part as long as it spins on and creates a seal I don't think much can go wrong. I know there are some differences in quality such as the filter materials used, what the bypass valve is made of, and bypass valve PSI but I couldn't tell you which is better or worse.

My only insight is that Honda isn't actually making the oil filters. The cheapest bidder makes the filters according to their specs. All kinds of other companies do this too (Subaru has changed oil filter manufacturing a few times) And as long as it is to their specs there shouldn't be a problem. I just tend to use brands that are more specialized in the product I need. Mobile 1, Fram, etc all they do is oil and filters.

I've used the Honda filters too but I just kinda got into a groove keeping the mobile 1 filters around. I dont think one is better or worse, that's just how I ended up doing it.

I know there are videos out there of guys cutting open every brand oil filter and comparing the filter materials and such but I've never watched them.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I use the Mobil 1 oils but when it comes to oil filters I think that Honda is very careful as they are responsible for problems when THEIR name is on the oil filters and are than responsible for any safety/ wear issues .
 
Houtman_imp said:
I use the Mobil 1 oils but when it comes to oil filters I think that Honda is very careful as they are responsible for problems when THEIR name is on the oil filters and are than responsible for any safety/ wear issues .
Yea I dont think there's anything wrong with that. Its a to each their own kinda thing.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
ive used Purolator in my bike for a long long time at least 20 years i like them oil is always clean when i change it it at 4k also i use full synthetic ams oil in everything i own but thats another rabbit hole to go down
 
mvk24_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I use the Mobil 1 oils but when it comes to oil filters I think that Honda is very careful as they are responsible for problems when THEIR name is on the oil filters and are than responsible for any safety/ wear issues .
Yea I dont think there's anything wrong with that. Its a to each their own kinda thing.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Isn't it like that with most everything?
 
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
:rofl::rofl: ... and use an impact gun with M17 socket to tighten
 
While we're on the subject, I've been sort of depressed lately. I ordered what I thought was Molly to cheer me up some.
Turns out I didn't read the product description completely, and got a box of Mahle oil filters. But, they fit both the Triumph and the 1100, so not a total loss.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
As mentioned above those are horrible. I cab literally name 4 friends that have a had those nuts strip/twist and had a nightmare shoving screw drivers through the filters to get them off.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
Like Monty Python’s Brian, you, Mr Gone, are a very naughty boy.

 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
Just one little nut, eh?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
Like Monty Python’s Brian, you, Mr Gone, are a very naughty boy.

Like Monty Python’s Brian, you, Mr Gone, are a very naughty boy.

:rofl::thanks:

Ahh, thank you for that reference. That cheered me up.
 
mvk24_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
As mentioned above those are horrible. I cab literally name 4 friends that have a had those nuts strip/twist and had a nightmare shoving screw drivers through the filters to get them off.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
As mentioned above those are horrible. I cab literally name 4 friends that have a had those nuts strip/twist and had a nightmare shoving screw drivers through the filters to get them off.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Then those four friends are to blame, regardless of whether there is a nut on top of the filter, they should of known there is no need to use a tool to overtighten an oil filter. If they didn't know that one wonders what else they might of ballsed up on their bike. You might suspect this is the same crowd who over-tighten the chain to and wonder why the output shaft bearing failed.

If they had bothered to read the K&N packaging it is touted as a "wrench-off" design, nothing to do with fitting it.
 
Tev62, respectfully, it is an assumption on your part that the four friends tightened their K&N filters with the nut. If so, they may have deserved what they got. I can say that the one K&N failure that I witnessed was on the bike of a person who would not and did not make such a mistake. The product was faulty. I've no idea whether that is a common occurrence with filters of that design—I'd be surprised as K&N have been in business for a while—but it does seem to me obvious that the K&N filter, even installed properly, contains a possible point of failure that the OEM design simply does not.

In truth, I have no idea whether K&N filters are safe or not. Having seen one fail and spray oil over the muffler and the rear tyre, I will not willingly install one on my bike.
 
Tev62_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but K&N puts a little nut on the end of their oil filters that makes them very easy to wrench on and off.
I just ordered a case of them.
As mentioned above those are horrible. I cab literally name 4 friends that have a had those nuts strip/twist and had a nightmare shoving screw drivers through the filters to get them off.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
As mentioned above those are horrible. I cab literally name 4 friends that have a had those nuts strip/twist and had a nightmare shoving screw drivers through the filters to get them off.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Then those four friends are to blame, regardless of whether there is a nut on top of the filter, they should of known there is no need to use a tool to overtighten an oil filter. If they didn't know that one wonders what else they might of ballsed up on their bike. You might suspect this is the same crowd who over-tighten the chain to and wonder why the output shaft bearing failed.

If they had bothered to read the K&N packaging it is touted as a "wrench-off" design, nothing to do with fitting it.
As mentioned above those are horrible. I can literally name 4 friends that have a had those nuts strip/twist and had a nightmare shoving screw drivers through the filters to get them off.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Then those four friends are to blame, regardless of whether there is a nut on top of the filter, they should of known there is no need to use a tool to overtighten an oil filter. If they didn't know that one wonders what else they might of ballsed up on their bike. You might suspect this is the same crowd who over-tighten the chain to and wonder why the output shaft bearing failed.

If they had bothered to read the K&N packaging it is touted as a "wrench-off" design, nothing to do with fitting it. As cormanus stated i am the only one that works out their bikes and I did the oil changes myself with the supplies they bought. This was on multiple different kinds of bikes. The nuts were faulty multiple times over the last 10 years or so I've had experiencewith them. I used one of those on my subaru when I first got it and had the same exact problem but luckily I could use a strap wrench to get it off because it isn't in a tight little area between pipes like on our bikes.

And yes I know an oil filter just goes on hand tight by hand because with use it will get tighter on its own..

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Back
Top