Oil filter K&N vs Honda

AsHperson_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys, I've been doing some research on the K&N filter and how it differs from stock since I talked with techs from a couple shops in my area telling me to use Honda instead. I get a good discount due to working at CG and it will make a small monitary difference over time, however I only see it ok if it is as good as OEM or better. Through my searches I've only seen people with the original version of the KN204 not the revised KN204-1 we have.

What do you guys say? What's your experience since I've seen multiple people out there with K&N and multiple comfortable with Honda.
 
Thread starter
I see everyone mentioning the recall, I'm talking about besides that since we sell the fixed version named 204-1 and we have the recall still away in the back not to be sold or used. The shops I was talking about the motor possibly needing some kind of tune to the leaner end if I use the K&N.
 
I was also a victim of the k&n oil filter meltdown failure and will never use one again. I use a k&n air filter but won’t risk the oil filter failure again now that I’m aware. The recall wasn’t for a minor inconvenience. The failed filters simply dumped oil out through a failed weld where the nut was on the end of the filter housing and it didn’t come out in a trickle. It was sudden and all at once. I got lucky and mine happened while stopped. Others were less lucky and it happened while at speed and oil got in the rear tire and other parts of the bike. Now that I’m aware of the potential for catastrophe if that ever happened again it isn’t worth the risk for me. I just think it’s a design with a huge downside in a failure. I have never heard of a standard type filter failing in any way similar and with as much risk to causing an accident.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I’m not going to F around using other than an oem filter. Too many issues with K&N not worth the risk to me
 
When I witnessed the failure of Pterodactyl's K&N filter and had to go for a ride to find a replacement, I ended up with HiFlo filters which looked to me to be identical to the OEM filter. It makes me wonder who actually makes the OEM filter and whether there are other brands that are the same basic product with a different badge. This thread may offer some useful information, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14295.

The point about the K&N filter is that welding a nut onto the end of it potentially introduces a weakness not present in other, simpler, filters.
 
I'm easy...only OEM for me.
 
Almost every oil filter has a pressure relief valve (also called bypass valve) that allows the oil, when it is cold and less viscous, to bypass the filter straining element so the engine bearings are not starved in the first crucial seconds of cold starting.

I trust that Honda knows what their requirements are and have tested the filters for each of their applications. K&N says this filter replaces those for Mercury outboards and Kubota tractors, among others. If it fits, it ships (but does it work the same?).
 
Good idea to revive this discussion from time to time, i had no knowledge of these filters failing until i stumbled across a vid on yt.
It appears from the pictures that the "bolt" is spot-welded over a hole in a way that has not got enough strength to resist the pressure inside and breaks off most of the spot-welding, not easy to know there's a hole hiding under that nut and i don't want to try to find out if i can avoid it.
I'm guessing it was a new way to form the outer shell and the process left a hole in the front which the design then covered with a promising nut, have they since thrown the machinery away or just beefed up the welds in the same design?
Knowing this failure can not happen on my bike leaves me to focus on the pleasurable ride instead.

Personally i have never had an oil filter leak at the o ring seal and also no problem removing a used filter, the system seems to work as designed without flaws.

It also never dawned to me to use an automotive filter of the same dimensions if i had to so thanks for that information, very helpful to know:shy:
 
AsHperson_imp said:
I see everyone mentioning the recall, I'm talking about besides that since we sell the fixed version named 204-1 and we have the recall still away in the back not to be sold or used. The shops I was talking about the motor possibly needing some kind of tune to the leaner end if I use the K&N.
Your subsequent comment about "tuning the engine to the leaner end" led me to believe you were talking about K&N air filters, not K&N oil filters. A bunch of folks here use K&N air filters with no apparent issues, but I don't. I don't see a reason to second-guess the factory and use something different from what they recommend. A few bucks either way isn't going to change my life, and with the way I ride, I don't think I'm missing any performance gains (if any).
 
noroomtomove can help with the automotive filter. I think he's used one made by an outfit called Ryco?
 
LongRanger_imp said:
AsHperson_imp said:
I see everyone mentioning the recall, I'm talking about besides that since we sell the fixed version named 204-1 and we have the recall still away in the back not to be sold or used. The shops I was talking about the motor possibly needing some kind of tune to the leaner end if I use the K&N.
Your subsequent comment about "tuning the engine to the leaner end" led me to believe you were talking about K&N air filters, not K&N oil filters. A bunch of folks here use K&N air filters with no apparent issues, but I don't. I don't see a reason to second-guess the factory and use something different from what they recommend. A few bucks either way isn't going to change my life, and with the way I ride, I don't think I'm missing any performance gains (if any).
Your subsequent comment about "tuning the engine to the leaner end" led me to believe you were talking about K&N air filters, not K&N oil filters. A bunch of folks here use K&N air filters with no apparent issues, but I don't. I don't see a reason to second-guess the factory and use something different from what they recommend. A few bucks either way isn't going to change my life, and with the way I ride, I don't think I'm missing any performance gains (if any).
+1 :thumbsup:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
When I witnessed the failure of Pterodactyl's K&N filter and had to go for a ride to find a replacement, I ended up with HiFlo filters which looked to me to be identical to the OEM filter. It makes me wonder who actually makes the OEM filter and whether there are other brands that are the same basic product with a different badge. This thread may offer some useful information, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14295.

The point about the K&N filter is that welding a nut onto the end of it potentially introduces a weakness not present in other, simpler, filters.
Generaly, OEMs don't make their components: They define the specs they need (interfaces, flow, pressures involved, etc).

Then, an "expert supplier" will do the actual designand the part. Example: a car make can get "Hella" to make their headlights, or "Mahle" to make their airfilters, and "Mando" to make their power-steering.

The supplier will put the badge of the OEM, and depending on the contract, will also be allowed to sell the part as aftermarket with a different badge (you won't find an aftermarket steering that is the same as the OEM from your car, but you can find airfilters)

However: not all aftermarket components will come from the expert supplier who has all the specs from the OEM. Some aftermarket parts are just similar parts that replicate the function of the original component, but not necesarily will match all the specs. They can be better, or can be worse...

In addition: on some components, most OEMs can ask to several suppliers to make the same part, to mitigate risks by not being 100% dependant on a single supply.
 
Thanks for that helpful information, jtopsio. :thanks:
 
I only use OEM, and I've probably said this before, but the oil filter for my Bonneville is identical to the Honda filter except the name; exact same words, markings, etc.
 
Back
Top