Oil filter failure.... Complete loss of oil pressure

x(why)z. I'm really sorry to hear about this. I was with Pterodactyl when it happened to him and it was ugly. So far, it's been a matter of remarkable luck that a serious accident hasn't resulted from these failures.

I'm not keeping score, but this has now been reported on this forum by owners of CB1100s 5 or 6 times; enough for K&N to be paying attention. Someone might help me out: didn't one member say he'd seen reports of this on other forums?

Good luck with your clean up.
 
+1 for OEM pads. (and get that K&N filter off ASAP....you don't even need to drain the oil).

As for the tires, they should be okay once you clean them with some regular dish soap (Palmolive, etc). It'll take some time but they'll degrease just fine.
Wipe the discs with the soap too, followed by some rubbing alcohol.

It's a crappy story for sure! But I'm glad to hear this didn't result in a dropped bike or injured rider. I hope you can get back at it soon.
 
A simple Google of "K&N filter failure" will give truly alarming supply of incidents.
K&N's warranty info also comes up.

Through all of these stories, I'm sure dozens of people have spoken to K&N about this....and yet these things are still sold??
 
I spoke to the K&N people last year at the AIMEXPO in Orlando about this problem . (not mine) They should be well aware of this.
 
I use WIX filters on my bike. This was what I picked up for my oil change supplies a couple of years ago.


The ferret_imp said:
People like the 17 mm nut on the front so they don't need a special oil filter cup. I say buy the cup from your Honda dealer for $10 and have piece of mond
I don't use an oil filter wrench. I had to to get the factory one off, but other than that....I don't need one. I haven't used an oil filter wrench on any of my vehicles other than getting filters off when I first get them in 30 years. I've never had a leak either.
 
Always hand tighten, always use a cup to remove, but thats just me lol
 
Dang it sorry .... thank you for posting.. on the bright side you should not have to worry about anything rusting for a while.I would R&R brake pads... only the rears? Good luck.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I was probably another day or two of commuting away from the same issue. Routine oil change on sunday and noticed a ton of oil at that same spot by the hex on the k&n 204.

Went ans got a hi flo 204
 
Thread starter
Wow, what a response!

I always hand tighten and remove by hand when I can. I didn't use the hex nut on the front, but liked knowing I could. I'm going to head up to the dealer and grab some OEM parts today. I'm pretty sad about it all, and worried about riding the thing. I don't know what to do... I have another less than ideal filter on it now as it was all that was in stock. And $50 in new oil in the crank, so I'm torn. Ride it for a while and risk it, or go through oil change #3 in 3 weeks...

Thanks for all the input and links! I got it all cleaned up yesterday, and the brakes seem to actually be fine. I thought they were worse than they are. I degreased the rotors and it stops just like it did prior. Maybe I dodged a bullet? Still going to replace the pads.
 
Hey, to reiterate....you DO NOT need to drain the oil to change the oil filter. You'll only lose what's in the filter itself.

Pop the new filter on, check the level if you want (you should barely lose anything) and you're good to go!
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
Hey, to reiterate....you DO NOT need to drain the oil to change the oil filter. You'll only lose what's in the filter itself.

Pop the new filter on, check the level if you want (you should barely lose anything) and you're good to go!
Ah, wonderful news! I was worried it would pour out. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow to grab a few filters and new brake pads.

I went for a spin around the block today and the brakes are worse than I thought. I was going to replace the pads either way, but I wanted to know how bad they were. They're bad!

I degreased the rotors, and will do it again tomorrow just to be safe.

Thanks so much, everyone, for the help. I love this bike so much, and this hasn't hampered my enthusiasm. I'm going to throw the filters that K&N is sending me into the trash; I don't want to pass them on to anyone else and have the same thing happen.

Many thanks!
 
[/QUOTE] I'm going to throw the filters that K&N is sending me into the trash; I don't want to pass them on to anyone else and have the same thing happen.

Many thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Just an idea.... if you still have the original that failed; mount it on the wall in the garage or shop.

I've got some of these "goodies" in the shop. They make great conversation pieces.

Here's a few examples.

Stinger exhaust for my VW. Didn't get around the block and the local policeman followed me home. Fortunately; he had a good sense of humor & was a car guy.

New remote oil filter housing. Sprayed oil everywhere after startup.
Yep, it had a casting crack, and made it on the "wall of shame".

Some where self inflicted.

Cracked the left radiator cowl on the Rune (rock?). $234 :dodgy::blush:

Idle mount for the Miata. Some friend were over "what the h_ _ _!"

GSXR front fender. Wasn't quite right, so I heated. Looked pretty good, but I had to do just one more spot. Darn thing got more waves in it than the Atlantic.
 
I had one dripping from the "nut" last week. Smelled the smoke from the oil on the exhaust. I bought a dozen from Wally World (chrome plated). Oh well.

I ordered some Fram Ultra XG6607. I know everyone disses Fram but I have had good luck with this series (their premium filters) on my car. I was underimpressed with the stock Honda filter but I am sure it is good enough to make the bike last at least thru their warrenty period.

Anyone using Fram Ultra?
 
Thread starter
I'm going to throw the filters that K&N is sending me into the trash; I don't want to pass them on to anyone else and have the same thing happen.

Many thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Just an idea.... if you still have the original that failed; mount it on the wall in the garage or shop.

I've got some of these "goodies" in the shop. They make great conversation pieces.

Here's a few examples.

Stinger exhaust for my VW. Didn't get around the block and the local policeman followed me home. Fortunately; he had a good sense of humor & was a car guy.

New remote oil filter housing. Sprayed oil everywhere after startup.
Yep, it had a casting crack, and made it on the "wall of shame".

Some where self inflicted.

Cracked the left radiator cowl on the Rune (rock?). $234 :dodgy::blush:

Idle mount for the Miata. Some friend were over "what the h_ _ _!"

GSXR front fender. Wasn't quite right, so I heated. Looked pretty good, but I had to do just one more spot. Darn thing got more waves in it than the Atlantic.
[/QUOTE]

Love that idea. Unfortunately, K&N wants the part back for "testing" which I'm sure means someone looks at it and says "Yep, it is broken."

In better news, they are going to send me a reimbursement request for all the parts I've had to replace. So far that consists of:

- x4 quarts Lucas oil ($45.00)
- OEM replacement oil filter ($14.00)
- x2 sets of EBC brake pads ($59.00)
- Brake Cleaner ($3.00)

Total thus far: $121.00
 
x(why)z_imp said:
I'm going to throw the filters that K&N is sending me into the trash; I don't want to pass them on to anyone else and have the same thing happen.

Many thanks!

Just an idea.... if you still have the original that failed; mount it on the wall in the garage or shop.

I've got some of these "goodies" in the shop. They make great conversation pieces.

Here's a few examples.

Stinger exhaust for my VW. Didn't get around the block and the local policeman followed me home. Fortunately; he had a good sense of humor & was a car guy.

New remote oil filter housing. Sprayed oil everywhere after startup.
Yep, it had a casting crack, and made it on the "wall of shame".

Some where self inflicted.

Cracked the left radiator cowl on the Rune (rock?). $234 :dodgy::blush:

Idle mount for the Miata. Some friend were over "what the h_ _ _!"

GSXR front fender. Wasn't quite right, so I heated. Looked pretty good, but I had to do just one more spot. Darn thing got more waves in it than the Atlantic.
[/QUOTE]

Love that idea. Unfortunately, K&N wants the part back for "testing" which I'm sure means someone looks at it and says "Yep, it is broken."

In better news, they are going to send me a reimbursement request for all the parts I've had to replace. So far that consists of:

- x4 quarts Lucas oil ($45.00)
- OEM replacement oil filter ($14.00)
- x2 sets of EBC brake pads ($59.00)
- Brake Cleaner ($3.00)

Total thus far: $121.00
[/QUOTE]
Make sure to keep receipts on that stuff.
 
Back
Top