Oil filter failure.... Complete loss of oil pressure

x(why)z_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Yesterday was no fun.

As I was decelerating coming to a stop I noticed a massive plume of smoke. Oil had spilled catastrophically from the oil filter all over my header, brakes, tank, fenders and shocks.

The riveted hex nut on the from of my oil filter failed, and 2.5 liters of oil drained from my bike in a matter of seconds. I shut my bike down as soon as I saw the plume, so I'm not too concerned that I did internal damage, however my bike is currently in my garage with a massive amount of oil all over it. Top to bottom.

The brakes are useless, and the tires are quite covered.

The part in question is a K&N 204 filter.

I managed a roadside repair, as documented below, but now I have this huge clean up to do.

Any advice? What should I replace? Should I ask for compensation beyond a new filter? I'm pretty saddened by the whole thing. My bike has less than 2000 miles on it.

8a024dbeed4b1386937a0cb668ff7755.jpg

398151897ee58369b69a40765f8cfec6.jpg

a7a10ccfdfd9e8e19dc99f7f6a0390a8.jpg


All fixed:
cb5bed808a57e8d431a2dba7c82eaa94.jpg


The filter:
 
Unfortunately this is an experience documented by several members of the forum including myself. I got lucky and experienced my meltdown feet from my house. It's really horrible they continue to sell those filters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yep been reported on here over and over again.

ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS! DO NOT USE K&N OIL FILTERS ON YOUR CB!
 
Thread starter
I'm sorry for repeating! I should have searched. I guess I didn't realize how pervasive this issue is.

When I went to pick up parts yesterday to get it working again, all they had were K&N filters.... So there is another one on there now. I'm pretty worried about it. Between the $50 in Lucas oil, travel, probably brake pads, etc, this wasn't entirely cheap. And now I'm worried it will happen again before the next oil change interval.

I guess I could clean out my old oil reservoir and reuse the oil I just put in while replacing the filter.
 
Dont apologise. It's good to expose something like this. Glad you posted it ( although sorry you experienced it) Newer members might not see the old posts, but hopefully they will see this one. You may have just saved someone a terrible experience.

If you get a chance stop by a dealer and pick up 3 or 4 oem filters so you will have them on hand.

If they dont have it go to Amazon ( cheaper than a dealer anyway) and get them sent to your doorstep.

Yes I would be worried about running another K& N too.
 
Thread starter
Should I replace the brake pads? I'm assuming so...
What about cleaning the tires? I did a tiny burnout to scrape some from the back tire. Helped immensely, both psychologically and technically.

I just cleaned it up a bit to get the oil off. Paint is fine, chrome is fine, but good lord, what a mess.

And yes! I will be stopping by the dealer today.
 
I have seem motors run on no oil with no damage. If you did not run the engine very long you have nothing to worry about in terms of engine internals. There are documented cases on engines running with no oil to the determine failure point and they run an amazingly long time. Also don't use any filter other than OEM Honda.
 
Once oil gets on the pads you should replace them. Some don't feel that way and "cleaned" them and said they are good. Pads are cheap. Orthopedic surgeons are not.
 
Thread starter
JimTT_imp said:
I have seem motors run on no oil with no damage. If you did not run the engine very long you have nothing to worry about in terms of engine internals. There are documented cases on engines running with no oil to the determine failure point and they run an amazingly long time. Also don't use any filter other than OEM Honda.
Awesome. I felt like that was the case, but affirmation is so appreciated.

Lord Popgun_imp said:
Once oil gets on the pads you should replace them. Some don't feel that way and "cleaned" them and said they are good. Pads are cheap. Orthopedic surgeons are not.
Absolutely right. Any recommendations on new pads? Just go OEM?
 
Sounds like at the end of the day, the engine is okay :)

Just curious; did you use the hex to tighten the filter?
 
You may want to also buy a can of brake cleaner to remove any remaining oil from your rotors. It'd be a shame to install new pads only to have them contaminated with residual oil.
 
Bummer. I'll never use anything other than the factory filter.

Glad you and the bike weren't hurt.

If this is happening on our bikes, it is happening to others as well, maybe cars and other vehicles too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I like EBC RR pads but have no history with then on the cb1100 so not 100% sure. The RR pards have more bite than most but given how good the CB1100 brakes are (after one week of riding) OEM pads might be OK but they are usually more expensive .
 
Maybe there should be "sticky" warning thread about the k&n oil filters? There have been enough failures to warrant that I think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I do not understand why people do not use the Honda OEM oil filters.
Buy 4 or more at the time and they do not cost that much more than non OEM.
You will also sleep better at night !
 
People like the 17 mm nut on the front so they don't need a special oil filter cup. I say buy the cup from your Honda dealer for $10 and have piece of mond
 
Back
Top