Yeah, that's what I thought. But I hate taking those things out.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Yep, it ain't a bolt. Replace it and don't use aftermarket filters.Lord Popgun_imp said:Yeah, I didn't meant that Cormanus didn't care. Sorry about that. Cause he is a caring man
I just meant that since it is already damaged, you don't care if you damage it more removing it as it will then be replaced by a new one.
PS. Cormanus, its just a piece of threaded pipe that is screwed into a threaded hole in the crankcase.
I have to go to bed now, work tomorrow![]()
Yep, it ain't a bolt. Replace it and don't use aftermarket filters.Ulvetanna_imp said:Yep, it ain't a bolt. Replace it and don't use aftermarket filters.Lord Popgun_imp said:Yeah, I didn't meant that Cormanus didn't care. Sorry about that. Cause he is a caring man
I just meant that since it is already damaged, you don't care if you damage it more removing it as it will then be replaced by a new one.
PS. Cormanus, its just a piece of threaded pipe that is screwed into a threaded hole in the crankcase.
I have to go to bed now, work tomorrow![]()
Yep, it ain't a bolt. Replace it and don't use aftermarket filters.Pterodactyl_imp said:Yep, it ain't a bolt. Replace it and don't use aftermarket filters.Ulvetanna_imp said:Yep, it ain't a bolt. Replace it and don't use aftermarket filters.Lord Popgun_imp said:Yeah, I didn't meant that Cormanus didn't care. Sorry about that. Cause he is a caring man
I just meant that since it is already damaged, you don't care if you damage it more removing it as it will then be replaced by a new one.
PS. Cormanus, its just a piece of threaded pipe that is screwed into a threaded hole in the crankcase.
I have to go to bed now, work tomorrow![]()
So after market filter threads cause or facilitate cross-threading? Bhwaaaaahahah.
Cheers
. And a strong sniff of bovine fecal matter. Let's start a Thread thread.

Remember... Going through repairs like this is where motorcycle maintenance confidence comes from. Stay patient and diligent until it's done right. By the time you're done you will have spent some quality time with your bike and gained knowledge as well :beerchug:jjchowdy_imp said:I'm thinking you may be right about the replacement. It's the type of thing that will bug the heck out of me if it's not perfect. If I can find one of these locally and have it up and running by the weekend, that would make me happy. I doubt it though. Might go ahead and order it. You guys are wise. Thank you so much. My DIY confidence is nonexistent right now.
Agree Tink, Had to be crossed when installing the K&N and the OP didn't notice the resistance on install. Change the bolt, once crossed as Randy said blowout would be nasty.TINK_imp said:I'm still baffled as to how one manages to cross thread an oil filter?
I've changed hundreds of oil filters and never once managed to cross thread one.
I suspect the filter threads were not the Honda pitch and perhaps were for another bike brand.
I seem to remember my Suzuki's had a unique thread pitch.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Pterodactyl_imp said:KN204 installs without cross threading.
Cheers
However, a matter of very serious concern to me when I did my last oil change was the crush washer supplied by the dealer. The dealer was downright evasive when I asked if the washer, that outwardly seemed to be of the correct dimension (14mm), was fitted with an OEM hole. Rather than risk using an aftermarket hole I reinstalled the same crush washer that came with the new bike, some 70000kms ago. I felt that the hole on this washer would be OEM.
This whole hole matter has been an ongoing concern to me and is the reason that I chose an OEM rear rack rather than a Givi or other after market rack. The OEM rack is fitted with Honda holes thus ensuring a secure fit. So in the event of installing any after market accessories my strong recommendation is to insist that Honda holes are supplied with the item.
Cheers
They do indeed. They just wanted to make sure you get your filters from the authorized Suzuki dealer.TINK_imp said:I'm still baffled as to how one manages to cross thread an oil filter?
I've changed hundreds of oil filters and never once managed to cross thread one.
I suspect the filter threads were not the Honda pitch and perhaps were for another bike brand.
I seem to remember my Suzuki's had a unique thread pitch.
unfortunately, if I could get the bolts on, I wouldn't have a problem. lol. It's apparent I'm not getting anything done tonight as it's getting dark. I think I'll look for the wife's Xanax and try to lower my blood pressure. I'm leaning towards the file/die solution because they don't appear to be too mangled. Admitting to my wife that I managed to screw up the bike she bought me the first time I tried to do anything to it will be another lesson in humility for me. Ugh. Thanks for all the replies guys.jjchowdy_imp said:unfortunately, if I could get the bolts on, I wouldn't have a problem. lol. It's apparent I'm not getting anything done tonight as it's getting dark. I think I'll look for the wife's Xanax and try to lower my blood pressure. I'm leaning towards the file/die solution because they don't appear to be too mangled. Admitting to my wife that I managed to screw up the bike she bought me the first time I tried to do anything to it will be another lesson in humility for me. Ugh. Thanks for all the replies guys.The ferret_imp said:You will have to jam two nuts together if you can get them started. The same for tightening up the new one.
Done that a few times, if the washer ain't crushed too much, crush it again.Pterodactyl_imp said:KN204 installs without cross threading.
Cheers
However, a matter of very serious concern to me when I did my last oil change was the crush washer supplied by the dealer. The dealer was downright evasive when I asked if the washer, that outwardly seemed to be of the correct dimension (14mm), was fitted with an OEM hole. Rather than risk using an aftermarket hole I reinstalled the same crush washer that came with the new bike, some 70000kms ago. I felt that the hole on this washer would be OEM.
This whole hole matter has been an ongoing concern to me and is the reason that I chose an OEM rear rack rather than a Givi or other after market rack. The OEM rack is fitted with Honda holes thus ensuring a secure fit. So in the event of installing any after market accessories my strong recommendation is to insist that Honda holes are supplied with the item.
Cheers
You have been making far too much sense lately. Always one dude on every forum seems to see things my way lol.Toddman_imp said:I over torqued a spark plug when I was 10 years old...hasn't happened since on any bolt. I learned early.
The tool will cost more than the stud will.SUPERCRUZ_imp said:Just a suggestion. I recall Griots Garage catalogue online use to list a bolt thread chaser tool which might be ideal for this type of situation. I agree, replacing the filter mounting stud on the engine block is likely your best choice. If you can successfully chase the threads with the correct tool, you should be back in business. Good luck with it.