Oil Filter Cover?

NightRider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
The oil filter looks more exposed than the oil cooler and there is an oil cooler cover on the market. Has anyone seen an oil filter cover, chrome or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.
 
Haven't seen one, but if one is available, Mr. T would most likely know about it.
 
Never heard of an oil filter being damaged other than in trying to be removed for the initial service. Honda has had this same filter set up on their inline 4's since the late 70's I think.
 
Haven't seen an aftermarket "filter cover", but PC Racing does make a reuseable filter that has a cast aluminum case. Couple of my friends use them on their bikes, they really like them. FWIW, the 1800 Goldwing and Runes share the same oil filter as the CB1100 (I'm sure there's other models).

Link to PC filter. Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26IU-Fc6HeU&sns=em
 
There is an Oil Cooler/Protector available from:
http://www.buckslowers.com/

It is supposed to fit 2.5" Goldwing filters, so it likely will fit the CB.
It should supply some additional cooling, but I don't believe that it provides any protection to the end of the filter (just the sides).
 
Anything that struck the oil filter hard enough to damage it would likely cause more serious damage elsewhere. Oil filter housings are tough.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
There is an Oil Cooler/Protector available from:
http://www.buckslowers.com/

It is supposed to fit 2.5" Goldwing filters, so it likely will fit the CB.
It should supply some additional cooling, but I don't believe that it provides any protection to the end of the filter (just the sides).
More fins ! I like it, but they don't list any Honda motorcycles that it is applicable to.

Now if someone would just a make a set of bolt on header clamp fins...
 
Thread starter
No doubt, few have taken a rock into their oil filter out in the middle of nowhere but I suppose it happens since there is an aftermarket oil cooler cover to protect same from that same said rock, the one taken right in the cooler right in the middle of nowhere.

So, I'm looking for protection over looks and I am thinking a rock hurled at 75 mph into my oil filter will punch it open losing oil pressure instantly. But, since one never hears about it I suppose it is over worrying and I also have a few possibilities here but I am loath to buy anything but a Honda filter. So I'm looking for a protective outside case for the standard oil filter rather than a replacement oil filter with a protective case that may work, or not.

Thanks all.
 
Any rock of sufficient weight and launched at enough velocity to pierce an oil filter would be more likely to do exterior damage to the engine. Even a sudden loss in full oil pressure would not likely do any engine damage as long as the engine was shut down quickly. Again, oil filters are extremely tough as can be shown when you drive a screw driver into one you're having trouble removing and unless a bike is ridden off road where large rocks are a hazard, a street bike has little need of such protection.
 
Back
Top