oil filter - alternative

ecka00_imp said:
I did a search and only found one post so I'd like a second opinion....

Anyone using the bosch 3300 oil filter?
Bosch if I am not wrong are made by champion laboratories and the quality specially with the valves is not really good...
I bought a Honda original oil filter last week and it was made by Purflux made in France, so I believe the Purflux oil filters quality must be good also. I bought it in Finland.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The dealer likely costs more. I buy from my dealer. I need my dealer to be there. The dealer needs me. This is called a relationship.

I change my oil at the recommended intervals and so it does not cost me much to do this, not enough to even think about it, so why would I buy a filter and oil somewhere else? Save a few bucks? Really?

Is this a situation where when you need the dealer for expert repairs then we are glad somebody else is keeping that dealer in business while we buy from some internet source and buy non-Honda supplies to save the money it takes to buy a happy meal?
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
Around here the dealers are really high in cost compared to independent shops.
Around here too. But not enough to make a real difference in my costs. Wonder if they sell new bikes and do warranty work? Ask me where I get my GMC truck serviced. Maybe you know already.
 
Hi, because I'm a stickler for detail I'd like to ask a question . Has any one noticed a red coating on the bridge of the oil pressure relief valve seen when looking into the filter . A genuine Honda filter made by PURFLUX in France. (This is the official Honda filter Not available as aftermarket) I ask as the coating seems to be some sort of laquer which could come off and go straight into the engine. So I'm hesitant to use it. I bought three from different dealers and they're all the same.
 
I looked at a couple US market oil filters, and that were made/assembled in North America (Mexico), but I've also seen them made in Japan or Thailand. I'm guessing that red stuff may just be a brushed/sprayed on coating for the pressure relief valve for sealing.

I always use OEM oil filters on my bikes. One reason, not related to spin-on filters of course, is that the cartridge filters as found on most Honda singles (CBR250R, CB300F, all their ATVs, and also HFT and DCT filters, can be put in backwards, cutting off oil flow. Honda stamps the filter with outside. Most aftermarket suppliers don't, and it isn't obvious.
 
Thanks for your comment. The red stuff is away from the actual sealing area of the relief valve. I've got a new theory that it might be a colour code for the spring rate of the valve. I just hope its oil soluble!
 
Early on in this thread, there was a reference to the official-sounding "California Scientific" (Oil Filter Cross Reference) that offered info and opinions not only on oil filters, but also on football, investing, and neural networks. Curiously, the company is in rural Missouri.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Early on in this thread, there was a reference to the official-sounding "California Scientific" (Oil Filter Cross Reference) that offered info and opinions not only on oil filters, but also on football, investing, and neural networks. Curiously, the company is in rural Missouri.
Thanks for the link. I read it and am now having nightmares. I think I might adapt an old stocking in a tin can to engineer filtering improvement though. Seriously though, I recall a 1986 Suzuki gsxr 750 which I raced for 5 years and commuted on every single day . I did 35000 miles on it. I changed the oil every 2 meetings and the filter every 4. At 35000 the engine sounded as new.
 
I’ve never paid more than A$20 for a Honda oil filter.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I’ve never paid more than A$20 for a Honda oil filter.
where from Cormanus? I might get a couple posted...I tried 2 shops here and both were $36.00 so I assumed it was the going price...
 
Here's a better link to the California Scientific cross reference oil filter page. I have used this for years on the different bikes I have had and never had a problem with any filter it recommended.

Oil Filter Cross Reference

I have used the Walmart supertech 6607 filter the most on my previous bikes ($2.97) and never had any issue, haven't had the CB1100 long enough to change the oil yet, so haven't used it yet, but planning to.
 
I stand by my original post (#15) in this thread from five years ago...OEM all the way, those Honda engineers are a lot smarter than I am. :D
 
Blockhead_imp said:
I stand by my original post (#15) in this thread from five years ago...OEM all the way, those Honda engineers are a lot smarter than I am. :D
Me to , OEM 's filters are cheap and good.
 
Back
Top