oil filter - alternative

I know the op wants a review on the Bosch filter but any particular reason that filter, doesn't seem like one of the regular or popular choices. None of them are really too expensive and changing it one or twice, maybe even three times a year shouldn't break the bank. I think I pay about 12.00 for my k&n filter.
 
Thread starter
Autozone is 2 blocks from my house and they carry the bosch 3300--convenience because I usually change my oil at least twice a year and I've been happy with Bosch on my other bikes as an aftermarket filter.

So let me rephrase my original question---anyone know if the bosch 3300 is a viable subsititute for the OEM filter?
 
uscgmac_imp said:
I know the op wants a review on the Bosch filter but any particular reason that filter, doesn't seem like one of the regular or popular choices. None of them are really too expensive and changing it one or twice, maybe even three times a year shouldn't break the bank. I think I pay about 12.00 for my k&n filter.
$12 isn't too much. Maybe I'll stop rinsing mine out with gasoline and reusing them. :)
 
ecka00_imp said:
Autozone is 2 blocks from my house and they carry the bosch 3300--convenience because I usually change my oil at least twice a year and I've been happy with Bosch on my other bikes as an aftermarket filter.

So let me rephrase my original question---anyone know if the bosch 3300 is a viable subsititute for the OEM filter?
I used the Bosch filter on my 2001 F4i for 92000 miles with out any problems but experienced oil seepage past the rubber seal on the Bosch filter on my CB. I bought a Honda filter to compare and found that the seal on the Honda filter was of a much better quality. No more oil seepage. Bosch must have down graded their filter specs.
 
ecka00_imp said:
I did a search and only found one post so I'd like a second opinion....

Anyone using the bosch 3300 oil filter?
Yes, I used this filter on my 2001 cbr F4i for almost all of its 92,000 miles with no problem.
It leaked badly on my CB 1100. Tried a couple of them but same problem. Weeping around the seal. Bought a Honda oil filter and the seal is much larger and does not leak.
 
dailyrider_imp said:
ecka00_imp said:
I did a search and only found one post so I'd like a second opinion....

Anyone using the bosch 3300 oil filter?
Yes, I used this filter on my 2001 cbr F4i for almost all of its 92,000 miles with no problem.
It leaked badly on my CB 1100. Tried a couple of them but same problem. Weeping around the seal. Bought a Honda oil filter and the seal is much larger and does not leak.
Yes, I used this filter on my 2001 cbr F4i for almost all of its 92,000 miles with no problem.
It leaked badly on my CB 1100. Tried a couple of them but same problem. Weeping around the seal. Bought a Honda oil filter and the seal is much larger and does not leak.
I just realized that I already answered this post! LOL!
 
uscgmac_imp said:
I know the op wants a review on the Bosch filter but any particular reason that filter, doesn't seem like one of the regular or popular choices. None of them are really too expensive and changing it one or twice, maybe even three times a year shouldn't break the bank. I think I pay about 12.00 for my k&n filter.
You meant "Honda" filter, I know. :biker:
dailyrider_imp said:
ecka00_imp said:
I did a search and only found one post so I'd like a second opinion....

Anyone using the bosch 3300 oil filter?
Yes, I used this filter on my 2001 cbr F4i for almost all of its 92,000 miles with no problem.
It leaked badly on my CB 1100. Tried a couple of them but same problem. Weeping around the seal. Bought a Honda oil filter and the seal is much larger and does not leak.
Yes, I used this filter on my 2001 cbr F4i for almost all of its 92,000 miles with no problem.
It leaked badly on my CB 1100. Tried a couple of them but same problem. Weeping around the seal. Bought a Honda oil filter and the seal is much larger and does not leak.

Yup. We be "weeping" too if we don't use the Honda filter!
And it matches my black paint; We must keep up appearances, mustn't we.

Shall we discuss fork braces? I have three on my bike cause I like the custom look. :thumbsup:
 
Novice_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
I know the op wants a review on the Bosch filter but any particular reason that filter, doesn't seem like one of the regular or popular choices. None of them are really too expensive and changing it one or twice, maybe even three times a year shouldn't break the bank. I think I pay about 12.00 for my k&n filter.
$12 isn't too much. Maybe I'll stop rinsing mine out with gasoline and reusing them. :)
Novice, with talk like that there's a better than even chance that in your previous life you rode a KLR 650 or Guzzi.
 
Dear Dr Dactyl,

As one concerned with the welfare of my engine, what oil should I use in my CB1100?

Yours sincerely

Curious
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Dear Dr Dactyl,

As one concerned with the welfare of my engine, what oil should I use in my CB1100?

Yours sincerely

Curious
Don't ask him. He is clueless and no doubt rides one of those red bikes, you know, the heavy version Honda finally guessed they needed to build for lovers of Heavy Metal.

Which reminds me.

Bonnaroo is June 9-12. All the best CBers will be there wearing genuine Honda filters and keeping it cool and smooth with only genuine slick flow stuff cause genuine is for real like this bike. So keep it real and maybe I will see you doing the 'roo'.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Dear Dr Dactyl,

As one concerned with the welfare of my engine, what oil should I use in my CB1100?

Yours sincerely

Curious
Dear Curious,

Oil? There is more to oil than oil. It is an obsession, and a symbol. ..... It is a symbol of your deep seated insecurities regarding the inner health of your engine. It is a symbol of the powerlessness that you feel when confronted by the mysteries of the modern internal combustion engine. An engine whose mysteries, like the smoke of burnt offerings, can only be divined by the one known as "The Dealer". You do, I know, yearn for the glorious but long gone days of your youth when, equipped only with a handful of SAE or Whitworth spanners and a can of beer, you could dabble with tappets, push rods, con rods, gudgeon pins and big end bearings. When you were the undisputed master of your mistress, the motor. Now you peek timidly, like a child, to behind the altar curtain of the "Heat Shield", rendered impotent by a mass of electronics that will surely be connected to the fabled "EMC". A device whose workings are accessible only to those initiated into the rites of the Honda Engine Management Software. But then your eyes fall upon what you once knew as an "Oil Filler Cap". Yes, it is. Your mind races. Your heart fills with hope. Maybe, just maybe, oh please let it be! ........ Excitedly, you look for, and triumphantly find, a "Drain Plug" and a "Filter". Yes, yes, yes! Your heart bursts with joy. You are back in control. You can decide upon the nature of, and regulation of, the Precious Bodily Fluid known as OIL. Obsessively.

But, Dear Curious, all may not be lost. For you to rid yourself of that unhealthy obsession and truly gain "The Knowledge" you will need council and therapy. I would suggest that to this end, on the Saturday of the 23rd of April in the year 2016, we meet, before the sun sets and the kangaroos roam the night, on the banks of the Gwyder River, near the tiny hamlet of Bingara in Central Northern New South Wales. I will then join, and guide you, on the The Long Road to Enlightenment.. It will not be an easy journey. We will be accompanied by those iron horsemen who have tamed and ride the Beasts of Thunder, sometimes known as HDs, Valkeries, Victories or perhaps even the mythical "Gold Wings". First to Taroom. Then, after a day of ceremony to honour our glorious dead, we will travel to the North passing by the gaping and monstrous maws of the open cut mines of Central Queensland and on to the hot wet lands of Home Hill where, at night, the lightning crackles over the cane fields. We will then turn Westward to travel through the hot, dry and deserted outback lands of Western Queensland. A land where the crows fly backwards to keep the dust from their eyes. In all 5000kms of hot tarmac, flies, bull dust, emus, Big Reds, and endless straight roads devoid of the wonderfull "Twisties". A parched land with long distances between cold beers. At Augathella we will rest and reflect upon the oil that has carried us on our journey. I will tell you of the Honda Owners Manual and the complexities of the Workshop Manual and you will certainly come to know that any oil that meets the specifications of these Books of Truth will carry you on any journey.

It will be what I, Dr Dactyl, am certain will be the first step in your long rehabilitation from Oil Obsession.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr Dactyl
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Dear Dr Dactyl,

As one concerned with the welfare of my engine, what oil should I use in my CB1100?

Yours sincerely

Curious
Dear Curious,

Oil? There is more to oil than oil. It is an obsession, and a symbol. ..... It is a symbol of your deep seated insecurities regarding the inner health of your engine. It is a symbol of the powerlessness that you feel when confronted by the mysteries of the modern internal combustion engine. An engine whose mysteries, like the smoke of burnt offerings, can only be divined by the one known as "The Dealer". You do, I know, yearn for the glorious but long gone days of your youth when, equipped only with a handful of SAE or Whitworth spanners and a can of beer, you could dabble with tappets, push rods, con rods, gudgeon pins and big end bearings. When you were the undisputed master of your mistress, the motor. Now you peek timidly, like a child, to behind the altar curtain of the "Heat Shield", rendered impotent by a mass of electronics that will surely be connected to the fabled "EMC". A device whose workings are accessible only to those initiated into the rites of the Honda Engine Management Software. But then your eyes fall upon what you once knew as an "Oil Filler Cap". Yes, it is. Your mind races. Your heart fills with hope. Maybe, just maybe, oh please let it be! ........ Excitedly, you look for, and triumphantly find, a "Drain Plug" and a "Filter". Yes, yes, yes! Your heart bursts with joy. You are back in control. You can decide upon the nature of, and regulation of, the Precious Bodily Fluid known as OIL. Obsessively.

But, Dear Curious, all may not be lost. For you to rid yourself of that unhealthy obsession and truly gain "The Knowledge" you will need council and therapy. I would suggest that to this end, on the Saturday of the 23rd of April in the year 2016, we meet, before the sun sets and the kangaroos roam the night, on the banks of the Gwyder River, near the tiny hamlet of Bingara in Central Northern New South Wales. I will then join, and guide you, on the The Long Road to Enlightenment.. It will not be an easy journey. We will be accompanied by those iron horsemen who have tamed and ride the Beasts of Thunder, sometimes known as HDs, Valkeries, Victories or perhaps even the mythical "Gold Wings". First to Taroom. Then, after a day of ceremony to honour our glorious dead, we will travel to the North passing by the gaping and monstrous maws of the open cut mines of Central Queensland and on to the hot wet lands of Home Hill where, at night, the lightning crackles over the cane fields. We will then turn Westward to travel through the hot, dry and deserted outback lands of Western Queensland. A land where the crows fly backwards to keep the dust from their eyes. In all 5000kms of hot tarmac, flies, bull dust, emus, Big Reds, and endless straight roads devoid of the wonderfull "Twisties". A parched land with long distances between cold beers. At Augathella we will rest and reflect upon the oil that has carried us on our journey. I will tell you of the Honda Owners Manual and the complexities of the Workshop Manual and you will certainly come to know that any oil that meets the specifications of these Books of Truth will carry you on any journey.

It will be what I, Dr Dactyl, am certain will be the first step in your long rehabilitation from Oil Obsession.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr Dactyl

Dear Curious,

Oil? There is more to oil than oil. It is an obsession, and a symbol. ..... It is a symbol of your deep seated insecurities regarding the inner health of your engine. It is a symbol of the powerlessness that you feel when confronted by the mysteries of the modern internal combustion engine. An engine whose mysteries, like the smoke of burnt offerings, can only be divined by the one known as "The Dealer". You do, I know, yearn for the glorious but long gone days of your youth when, equipped only with a handful of SAE or Whitworth spanners and a can of beer, you could dabble with tappets, push rods, con rods, gudgeon pins and big end bearings. When you were the undisputed master of your mistress, the motor. Now you peek timidly, like a child, to behind the altar curtain of the "Heat Shield", rendered impotent by a mass of electronics that will surely be connected to the fabled "EMC". A device whose workings are accessible only to those initiated into the rites of the Honda Engine Management Software. But then your eyes fall upon what you once knew as an "Oil Filler Cap". Yes, it is. Your mind races. Your heart fills with hope. Maybe, just maybe, oh please let it be! ........ Excitedly, you look for, and triumphantly find, a "Drain Plug" and a "Filter". Yes, yes, yes! Your heart bursts with joy. You are back in control. You can decide upon the nature of, and regulation of, the Precious Bodily Fluid known as OIL. Obsessively.

But, Dear Curious, all may not be lost. For you to rid yourself of that unhealthy obsession and truly gain "The Knowledge" you will need council and therapy. I would suggest that to this end, on the Saturday of the 23rd of April in the year 2016, we meet, before the sun sets and the kangaroos roam the night, on the banks of the Gwyder River, near the tiny hamlet of Bingara in Central Northern New South Wales. I will then join, and guide you, on the [url=http://www.rumblersanzacride.com]The Long Road to Enlightenment.. It will not be an easy journey. We will be accompanied by those iron horsemen who have tamed and ride the Beasts of Thunder, sometimes known as HDs, Valkeries, Victories or perhaps even the mythical "Gold Wings". First to Taroom. Then, after a day of ceremony to honour our glorious dead, we will travel to the North passing by the gaping and monstrous maws of the open cut mines of Central Queensland and on to the hot wet lands of Home Hill where, at night, the lightning crackles over the cane fields. We will then turn Westward to travel through the hot, dry and deserted outback lands of Western Queensland. A land where the crows fly backwards to keep the dust from their eyes. In all 5000kms of hot tarmac, flies, bull dust, emus, Big Reds, and endless straight roads devoid of the wonderfull "Twisties". A parched land with long distances between cold beers. At Augathella we will rest and reflect upon the oil that has carried us on our journey. I will tell you of the Honda Owners Manual and the complexities of the Workshop Manual and you will certainly come to know that any oil that meets the specifications of these Books of Truth will carry you on any journey.

It will be what I, Dr Dactyl, am certain will be the first step in your long rehabilitation from Oil Obsession.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr Dactyl
See? Clueless. He would urge you to buy Pepsi when you know it's not the real thing.

"Stay thirsty my friend".
 
Deary me, what's a boy to do? Pack some incense, I guess. Looks like it'll be one of those quasi-mystical experiences.
 
NightRider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Dear Dr Dactyl,

As one concerned with the welfare of my engine, what oil should I use in my CB1100?

Yours sincerely

Curious
Don't ask him. He is clueless and no doubt rides one of those red bikes, you know, the heavy version Honda finally guessed they needed to build for lovers of Heavy Metal.

Which reminds me.

Bonnaroo is June 9-12. All the best CBers will be there wearing genuine Honda filters and keeping it cool and smooth with only genuine slick flow stuff cause genuine is for real like this bike. So keep it real and maybe I will see you doing the 'roo'.
Thanks for the invitation, NightRider. Bonnaroo looks like fun, although from the pictures, my attendance'd raise the average age by about 50 years. It's a bit far to go this year after I spent all my pocket money on repairs post a sump full of Dactyl Omnigrade. :cool:
 
Back
Top