Oil explosion

Thread starter
I agree, but on my 1st motorcycle, I had both a Honda shop and a Triumph one badly overfill it.
But at the end, I found out that there were NO seals to blow, but the head lady at Triumph was a LIAR who should not ever try to deal with people.
But I'll take your advice and carefully adjust.

- StreetShark
 
Thread starter
Streetshark07_imp said:
I agree, but on my 1st motorcycle, I had both a Honda shop and a Triumph one badly overfill it.
But at the end, I found out that there were NO seals to blow, but the head lady at Triumph was a LIAR who should not ever try to deal with people.
But I'll take your advice and carefully adjust.

- StreetShark
Now, since my bulb siphon couldn't get the excess oil out, am I not right to simply remove current filter and replace with new (empty) one?
Thanks,
- StreetShark
 
My CB was overfilled by the dealer too.
I cracked the drain plug a few turns and let it drip until the oil level came down.
It was very slow going, but once I was satisfied I tightened the plug and Bob was my uncle.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
My CB was overfilled by the dealer too.
I cracked the drain plug a few turns and let it drip until the oil level came down.
It was very slow going, but once I was satisfied I tightened the plug and Bob was my uncle.
But how do I get that siphon started?
I am a dumb Americsn and proud to say so.
 
no no, DRAIN plug, not the filler cap, just wait until the bike is cooled off so you don't get hot oil on your fingers, take the time to understand Rocky's advice and it uses a 17 mm spanner to undo.
 
There are few different ways to adjust engine oil level on center stand after turning off bike and waiting for at least a few minutes. By removing existing/full of oil OEM (always) oil filter, you will only remove about 120 mL of oil. Will that be enough in your case?
The bottom line is: make sure oil level is correct as per upper & lower sight glas indicator. simple as 1,2, 3
BTW, what was originally blown???:huh:
:)
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
Nah, looks good to me mate, you're doing fine
Thank you for the vote of confidence, but despite appearances I am not ACTUALLY mentally deficient.
To the man who arrived late, the problem was a leaking oil filter cap.
 
yeh, not OEM, cap = I assume is a spot welded sheet-metal nut for wrench application (silly to me and waste of labour/cost/material)
As my predecessors said, OEM = trouble free.
Learn on this bad experience/error?, good luck/trouble free and safe ride :)
We are all CB family, nobody meant anything mean..friendly jab & humor is best medicine as few members already said (SD&H)
:beerchug:
 
Thread starter
I have a picture of how much oil fell out just now, but sufficient to say that mixed with Amsoil, it still looks new!
All I really accomplished today was realizing I should have asked Dad to learn me how instead of always criticizing!
But the sight glass is empty, Will Robinson! Ho inw much oil does it want!!?? The file is too large, but my words are accurate.

- StreetShark
I do have on hand a brand new 4L bottle of Motul 15W50, so please suggest an amount!:banana:
 
Sts07,
Ok, no problem.
Bottom line parts involved: OEM Honda oil filter and Honda approved engine oil, drain plug washer/gasket.
On center stand, best results after oil level is warm/hot = let is sit for few minutes after engine OFF
As per Honda manual,
*drain & fill with new oil filter takes: 3.9 L/4.1 US qt,
**drain & fill only: 3.8 L/4.0 US qt
Dont know if Motul 15W50 is what Honda wants for your climate = CHECK viscosity!!
Here is very educating video clip, play and listen before you dig, please:
ONLY the first 2.05 min (do not worry about the rest)


This is a good clip as to how to change oil and filter...I would also primed new OEM filter with oil = simply poor new engine oil into new filter and let it soak in, before installing/good tightening oil filter by your hand:


Hope this helps and educates you good :D:thumbsup:
P.S...never, ever use any aftermarket oil filter:huh:
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Sts07,
Ok, no problem.
Bottom line parts involved: OEM Honda oil filter and Honda approved engine oil, drain plug washer/gasket.
On center stand, best results after oil level is warm/hot = let is sit for few minutes after engine OFF
As per Honda manual,
*drain & fill with new oil filter takes: 3.9 L/4.1 US qt,
**drain & fill only: 3.8 L/4.0 US qt
Dont know if Motul 15W50 is what Honda wants for your climate = CHECK viscosity!!
Here is very educating video clip, play and listen before you dig, please:
ONLY the first 2.05 min (do not worry about the rest)


This is a good clip as to how to change oil and filter...I would also primed new OEM filter with oil = simply poor new engine oil into new filter and let it soak in, before installing/good tightening oil filter by your hand:


Hope this helps and educates you good :D:thumbsup:
P.S...never, ever use any aftermarket oil filter:huh:
I already understand all of that, but I'll start with 1 quart next Saturday.
I asked the question because I'm all to familiar with ACTUAL and FICKLE nature of adding oil to ANY machine.
But thank you again and God bless/Happy Veterans Day!

- StreetShark
 
StreetShark, is the offending oil filter still on the bike?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
StreetShark, is the offending oil filter still on the bike?
No, Cor. It's in the trash. Right now, I have a brand new K&N on there that so far is doing fine. I intend to replace with OEM when I can GET AROUND TO IT!
 
Good oh. You may never again have trouble with a K&N filter. Who knows? Maybe it was just one batch that was dodgy.

Seems like you've got the rest sorted.
 
Thread starter
Yes, but I bought each of them between mid 2015 and late 2016, and since I'm in the land of lazy, I can think of no better an excuse than 1 very true stereotype, Hawaiian folks are lazy.
Thanks!
 
Back
Top