TCBronson_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
I do NOT want to start a oil war post, just curious what most folks use, conventional or synthetic?
Thanks
Thanks
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Agreed. I just had the valve covers off a low mile 2001 Lexus RX300 I bought used about a year ago. Yikes, while synthetic had been used, it looks like not nearly frequently enough!Frulk_imp said:Whatever the guy behind the Honda Service counter recommends. All things being equal my opinion is it’s more important to change it at correct intervals and keep it at the right level vs worrying over what you’re using.
I’ve never, ever had a blown motor or shot rings except in a tiller and I didn’t own it from new.
^^ +1 ^^ ....and OEM oil filter, to make my CB1100 happymichael1954_imp said:Use Motul Full Synthetic, 10W-40. Motul 7100 in the Hondas, and Motul 300AV in the Kawasaki. I put semi-synthetic in the 82' GS1100E, but not really riding it much yet, just turning it over weekly while it waits its turn in line after the DLX. May switch to better oil when it gets on the road.

I don't know about REAL benefit tbh, but I'll try to explain my decision.TCBronson_imp said:Interesting, you all use synthetic. I just looked in the owners manual and it recommends Pro Honda GN4, SAE 10W-30 or equivalent motor cycle oil. Being air cooled vs water cooled do you think it matters? Just curious if synthetic is better for an air cooled engine but not necessary? Is there some real or psychological benefit to synthetic instead of using conventional oil?
)Acknowledged. I apologize for steering in that direction, won't happen againCormanus_imp said:If anyone wonders, I edited the offending post and deleted the encouragement. This forum doesn’t Ed those sorts of conversations.