Oil Consumption During Break-in?

Gumby 1100_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I would assume that a small amount of oil might be consumed during the break-in period with the CB, but how much is normal?

I did the first change at 600miles/1000km and now have 2300miles/3700km on the same synthetic blend 10w30 oil.
NOTE: This is not intended to be an Oil Brand or Viscosity Grade Thread ;)

During this interval the oil has dropped 2-3mm in the site window (or from just above the maximum line to just below the maximum line).
There has been no need to add any oil, yet it is clear that a small but discernible amount has been consumed.
I take these readings on the centre stand, the morning after each ride, with the bike parked in the same position.

Is this typical? Has anyone's CB burned more or less during the first few thousand miles?

Thanks in advance!
 
In the first 5000km of riding I did, at infrequent but regular intervals, add maybe 50 - 100ml of oil. Sorry I can't be more specific than that. After 36000kms the rate of consumption has decreased. After the last oil change I have done 3000kms with negligible consumption.

Cheers
 
you know, come to think of it, I had to go buy a $10 quart of 10/30 full synthetic just to add some oil in the first few thousand miles, will keep an eye out now that I just changed it again at 8500 miles.
 
That's probably about right. I had to add a little oil between 1000 and 6000 k's, maybe 100 ml or so to bring it back to the top mark. The bike is running beautifully.
 
The oil level on my bike dropped maybe a millimeter or 2 between the 600 and 2000 mile oil changes. Didn't add any because it was still between the lines. No oil level drops since.
 
Noticed no change. Glad you mentioned that you measure it in the same spot every time. I have notice the oil reading for the CB is very sensitive to slight changes in position.
 
Lol I never even look at mine between changes. Every once in a while i'll have some one straighten it off the sidestand while I stand back and see if I can see oil rise in the window and I always see oil coming up, so I'm good.

Just has to have oil between the marks.
 
I have learned not to trust the sight glass on my CB1100. Apparently the oil does not always flow back into the engine after turning it off at the same rate. I followed the instructions for checking the oil level in my owner's manual and I was shocked to discover the level was low (down to the lower level line) when I knew it was filled to the upper level line less than 200 miles earlier. I waited an additional 15 minutes to see if additional oil would drain into the engine (from the oil cooler?), but this never happened. I added enough oil to bring the level in the sight glass back up to the upper level line. After my next ride I rechecked the oil level (exactly as the manual defines), only to discover the lever is too high; the sight glass is completely covered. I haven't decided if it is worth draining the excess oil out or not yet.
 
I had a similar moment of panic not long after the 12,000km service. I checked the oil only to discover I couldn't see any. Got in a right state trying to find out exactly what the dealer out in it and got a litre so I could top it up. The service head at the dealer told me not to worry about it if I could even see oil in the bottom of the sight glass, but I stuck some more in any way.

I'm still wondering what's wrong with a dip stick.
 
Dave_imp said:
I have learned not to trust the sight glass on my CB1100. Apparently the oil does not always flow back into the engine after turning it off at the same rate. I followed the instructions for checking the oil level in my owner's manual and I was shocked to discover the level was low (down to the lower level line) when I knew it was filled to the upper level line less than 200 miles earlier. I waited an additional 15 minutes to see if additional oil would drain into the engine (from the oil cooler?), but this never happened. I added enough oil to bring the level in the sight glass back up to the upper level line. After my next ride I rechecked the oil level (exactly as the manual defines), only to discover the lever is too high; the sight glass is completely covered. I haven't decided if it is worth draining the excess oil out or not yet.
If you added more than 100ml or so then drain it. Better a little low, but visible in the sight glass, than over-full. You should heed the owners manual. DO NOT OVERFILL.

"Wet-sumping", caused by an overfill, is not good for an engine. Oil level a little low just reduces the margin in the event of oil loss. There seems to be no reason to suspect your bike has an oil leak. So relax. Read The ferrets post. It's good. I think, through the plonk haze, that Cormanus, on our last road trip, may have checked the oil level on my bike in the ferret approved manner.

Cheers
 
Dave,

That seems pretty weird. Not to sound like you don't know, but you are checking it on the center stand, right?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Dave,

That seems pretty weird. Not to sound like you don't know, but you are checking it on the center stand, right?
Hi Popgun,

Yes, the bike was on level ground and on the center stand. I guess I'll have to look for the ferret's advice on checking oil.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol I never even look at mine between changes. Every once in a while i'll have some one straighten it off the sidestand while I stand back and see if I can see oil rise in the window and I always see oil coming up, so I'm good.

Just has to have oil between the marks.
Cheers
 
Dave_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Dave,

That seems pretty weird. Not to sound like you don't know, but you are checking it on the center stand, right?
Hi Popgun,

Yes, the bike was on level ground and on the center stand. I guess I'll have to look for the ferret's advice on checking oil.
Hi Popgun,

Yes, the bike was on level ground and on the center stand. I guess I'll have to look for the ferret's advice on checking oil.

STs are like that for some reason when you are doing an oil change. you run it and turn it off wait 3 mins and it looks low. So you throw 3 or 4 oz in. You take it for a ride and when you get back and check it, it looks over filled. Now, I just throw in a gallon at oil change time and trust oil is in there until the next change, except for the occasional tilt it up to see if oil runs up in the site glass. For better or worse that's what I do, but follow your own conscious when it comes to your personal ride. Now if I saw puddles under the bike or it looked like a crop duster as I rode down the road, I might take oil inspections more seriously, or is in the case of certain known oil burners like the CBR 1000 or some BMWs.
 
I do wish they would have put a dipstick in the 1100 like the old 750s. Its a minor pet peeve of mine. I mean what a couple of bucks more for a dipstick? :huh: Seems every conceivable corner is cut these days and I mean on everything. Not fussing but just saying.
The ferret_imp said:
Lol I never even look at mine between changes. Every once in a while i'll have some one straighten it off the sidestand while I stand back and see if I can see oil rise in the window and I always see oil coming up, so I'm good.

Just has to have oil between the marks.
Guilty as charged also. I need to change oil now and have not even checked it since the last time I changed it. I hope it still has some in it! And I know better. Have had lots of oil burning cars in my youth that you had to check the gas and add oil weekly. When you finally get something decent the incentive to check the oil goes away because you get more confident and comfortable. At least that is my excuse.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
I do wish they would have put a dipstick in the 1100 like the old 750s. Its a minor pet peeve of mine. I mean what a couple of bucks more for a dipstick? :huh: Seems every conceivable corner is cut these days and I mean on everything. Not fussing but just saying.
The ferret_imp said:
Lol I never even look at mine between changes. Every once in a while i'll have some one straighten it off the sidestand while I stand back and see if I can see oil rise in the window and I always see oil coming up, so I'm good.

Just has to have oil between the marks.
Guilty as charged also. I need to change oil now and have not even checked it since the last time I changed it. I hope it still has some in it! And I know better. Have had lots of oil burning cars in my youth that you had to check the gas and add oil weekly. When you finally get something decent the incentive to check the oil goes away because you get more confident and comfortable. At least that is my excuse.
A shortcut? I dunno about that mate. What to do? Build a sight glass into the cover and fit a wiper or fit a dipstick. If the oil level is variable in the sight glass would it be just as variable on a dipstick? Maybe someone thought the sight glass was a better idea. Anyway either would seem to work.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
I do wish they would have put a dipstick in the 1100 like the old 750s. Its a minor pet peeve of mine. I mean what a couple of bucks more for a dipstick? :huh: Seems every conceivable corner is cut these days and I mean on everything. Not fussing but just saying.
The ferret_imp said:
Lol I never even look at mine between changes. Every once in a while i'll have some one straighten it off the sidestand while I stand back and see if I can see oil rise in the window and I always see oil coming up, so I'm good.

Just has to have oil between the marks.
Guilty as charged also. I need to change oil now and have not even checked it since the last time I changed it. I hope it still has some in it! And I know better. Have had lots of oil burning cars in my youth that you had to check the gas and add oil weekly. When you finally get something decent the incentive to check the oil goes away because you get more confident and comfortable. At least that is my excuse.
A shortcut? I dunno about that mate. What to do? Build a sight glass into the cover and fit a wiper or fit a dipstick. If the oil level is variable in the sight glass would it be just as variable on a dipstick? Maybe someone thought the sight glass was a better idea. Anyway either would seem to work.

Cheers
A shortcut? I dunno about that mate. What to do? Build a sight glass into the cover and fit a wiper or fit a dipstick. If the oil level is variable in the sight glass would it be just as variable on a dipstick? Maybe someone thought the sight glass was a better idea. Anyway either would seem to work.

Cheers
Yep. Either works and bot are variable. But it's a PIA having to squat or kneel down to peer with ageing eyes at that bloody sight glass and not be sure what you're seeing. A dipstick is altogether easier to interpret.

So, in my humble opinion, the clown who thought of the sight glass was a dipstick. :D
 
Back
Top