Oil Comparison ?

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Has anyone on this forum done an oil comparisons like the Goldwing guy below did in 2014?
*********
LINK: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3348027/Re:_Tests_of_some_motorcycle_o
CONTENT:
Just for the heck of it I have run the following tests of motorcycle oils over a 4000 mile range on my 2012 Honda Goldwing.
1. Honda GN4- pretty good basic oil, notchy shifting from the start. The infamous missing from first to second gear was also pretty bad.
2. Motul 5100 JASO-MA- very good oil. Very smooth shifting and very good pull on acceleration. Would be my second choice for running with this bike.
3. Motul 5100 JASO-MA2- Did not like the new formula. Pull was not as good in high revs. Still had the smooth shifting but the bike preferred the older formula.
4. Honda HP4S- Actually pretty good. Strong acceleration but notchy shifting. Did not run it as long as the others but I think for the Goldwing a good choice.
5. Castrol Power 1 RS- Never used a oil that made the bike feel like the clutch was slipping but this oil did. A very smooth oil when running in low RPMs but whack the throttle and RPMs reved up with little pull. Do not like it.
6. Valvoline 4 stroke dino- Utterly shocked how the bike ran on this oil. Very smooth shifting, excellent pull and acceleration at high RPMs. No vibration.
This was the best yet.
7. Rotella T6- Good oil but felt alot of vibration back through the bike when riding for long periods of time.
 
I am not an oil engineer, so will not spent time to exercise the oil differences that are not important to me or my bike. I'd rather be riding instead....
For my '14 CB, I use Motul 7100, 10W40, 100% synthetic. No complaints at all. Perfect for my CB and me!!
:beerchug:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I am not an oil engineer, so will not spent time to exercise the oil differences that are not important to me or my bike. I'd rather be riding instead....
For my '14 CB, I use Motul 7100, 10W40, 100% synthetic. No complaints at all. Perfect for my CB and me!!
:beerchug:
No disrespect to the poster, but I agree with you.
I think too much time is spent stressing over oil.
I've used many brands in many bikes and couldn't tell the difference between any of them.
I'm a fan of Motul these days and use it almost exclusively.
 
I’ve always used Castrol synthetic. Never gave it much thought. But his comment on that oil giving a slipping clutch feeling is interesting. I very occasionally feel a little slip in the Triumph under very hard acceleration. Not enough to worry or consider another brand of oil, particularly when it’s the brand Triumph recommends for it.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I am not an oil engineer, so will not spent time to exercise the oil differences that are not important to me or my bike. I'd rather be riding instead....
For my '14 CB, I use Motul 7100, 10W40, 100% synthetic. No complaints at all. Perfect for my CB and me!!
:beerchug:
Motoul 7100 is one of the best oils available.
Used it (10W60) in the Moto Guzzi at ambient temps up to 116 F and the V7II only took 2 quarts / liters.

The SoCal dealer prepped the Triumph with Castrol Power 1 20/50, so I continued with it. The Bonneville made a few trips across the Mojave desert. With dual oil pumps and oil cooler, it never acted hot.

The CB started out with GN4 (Nov 2017)
Changed at 519 miles for fresh oil to finish run-in
Switched to HP4S at 4011 miles, but only available in 10W30
Then I went with Castrol Power 1 10W40 (on the shelf at O'Reillys) at 8667 miles and continued until we had to part.

When I changed oil on the Ryker at 1200 miles, I switched from XPS (BRP brand, reported to be Castrol) 5W40 synthetic blend, rated for up to 104F (not enough around here) to Castrol Power 1 10W50. Available from O'Reillys on sale (not stocked) for $9.99 per quart...$10.79 (I think) normal.

All are 4T oils, so no clutch issues.

I am not promoting any brand, but strongly recommend a major quality brand, viscosity range appropriate for climate, pure synthetic and change more often than recommended.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
For over 30 years for me it has been Mobil 1 full synthetic 10/40
Forget to mention that I always use the Mobil 1 motor cycle oil and nor oil for cars.
Forget to mention that I always use the Mobil 1 motor cycle oil and not oil for cars.
Would not be an issue in the Moto Guzzi, not only a separate trans (1/2 liter) but a dry clutch!

Can-Am Ryker has separate trans (1/2 liter of 75W140) and a dry CVT.
 
Oh boy, an oil thread. Been awhile.
 
Thread starter
So much for the "comparison idea". Guess it has to do with the crazy time we live in ... at least nobody is trying to burn down the web site (ergo forum) :)
 
I reckon it’s an interesting idea, Bflint. I notice that, when my bike is hot, it is really had to get it into neutral. I use 10w40 because it’s hot here, but I’ve wondered about trying a different rand or weight to see whether it makes a difference. I’ve also wondered about trying non synthetic.
 
I use Motul 300V 4T Factory Line 10W-40, in the Kawasaki Z900RS & 2017 CB1100EX and Motul 4T 7100 10W-40, in the 2013 CB1100.
Both of these really helped to quiet my transmission, especially the clunk going into first, but all 3 bikes are much quieter in their shifting than the OEM Honda oils that were in both CB's and the OEM oil in the Kawasaki.
I used to use Mobil-1 in my Triumph and 1500 Nomad some years back.
PS..still using K&N oil filters, and Honda OEM when I can get them. Still with no problems at all with the K&N's, and that is all I used on my Speed Master, Nomad, and my Suzuki 1400 Intruder. Never had an issue with any and all 3 of those bikes the oil still looked good after ridden when I sold two, and totaled one.

It is really getting hot here in south Texas. Has anyone ever used a 10W-50, or 20W-50 if they make it for weather consistently over 100F?
 
I have been using Honda 10/30 full synthetic since l got the bike . Not experiencing any issues other than a slight clunk into 1st. I been kicking around the idea of using 2 quarts of 10/30 and. 2 quarts of 10/40 both full synthetic on my next oil change,both Honda. Temps here in the mid-south are pushing 100 in the summer ,just a thought.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Oh boy, an oil thread. Been awhile.
No, it can't be:
1. It is not winter
2. I was not promoting any brand, but strongly recommend a major quality brand, viscosity range appropriate for climate, pure synthetic and change more often than recommended.

In southern Nevada, synthetic and higher temp oil is prudent
I only switched CB from HP4S, since not available in 10W40
I only switched Ryker from XPS, since not available in 10W50

No issues with any oils I have used. All 4T and no clutch issues.
obleo_imp said:
I have been using Honda 10/30 full synthetic since l got the bike . Not experiencing any issues other than a slight clunk into 1st. I been kicking around the idea of using 2 quarts of 10/30 and. 2 quarts of 10/40 both full synthetic on my next oil change,both Honda. Temps here in the mid-south are pushing 100 in the summer ,just a thought.
100 is just warm!
Eldest daughter's youngest son flew into McCarran from Allanta, this morning.
High today 106 (he made some remark about being in an oven)
Fri 108
Sat 111
Sun 112
Then we go to northern Arizona, where it is cooler (at least at 5400 feet)
Mon 97
Tue 93
Wed 92

OK, did I hijack this from being an "oil thread"?

Or maybe just a viscosity thread??

Back to the question: Obleo, I would use 10W40 full synthetic, especially in the summer.
 
Years ago we flew into Phoenix to look for a place to live in Arizona . It was 116 and right there and than we changed our mind and ended up in NC.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Years ago we flew into Phoenix to look for a place to live in Arizona . It was 116 and right there and than we changed our mind and ended up in NC.
...but it is a dry heat!
and in winter, a dry cold.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Years ago we flew into Phoenix to look for a place to live in Arizona . It was 116 and right there and than we changed our mind and ended up in NC.
...but it is a dry heat!
and in winter, a dry cold.
...but it is a dry heat!
and in winter, a dry cold. I have thought about a move to Arizona too, but to Prescott. High enough in the mountains to be cooler in the summer. The heat in Arizona is dry. When we visit Tombstone in the summers, the heat does not really bother me like the 80-90% humidity heat like we have along the coast in south Texas. I am riding from about 7 to 10 AM right now and that is it!
 
When talk about oil, I believe the spec of oil are more essential in the discussion compare to the brand. But for laymen like me, I only know to look for the label with Jaso ma2, API SM or SN, 15W-50. Other than the oil weight, I don't really know what the other 2 (JASO and API) means other than JASO MA2 is safe for wet clutch. Synthetic or semi depend on how long before I plan to change the oil. But for me, I prefer to change more frequently using semi synthetic then use synthetic for an extensive mileage. Personally i felt how ever good a synthetic, it lost its smoothness by 1000km.
 
Back
Top