oil change

A couple, myself included put in 4 qts and the oil is over the upper hash mark and at the top of the window. I find this interesting...and a bit confusing :huh:
 
The ferret_imp said:
A couple, myself included put in 4 qts and the oil is over the upper hash mark and at the top of the window. I find this interesting...and a bit confusing :huh:
I wonder if it could have to do with drain time? I added the Honda recommended "4 quarts plus" amount of oil. I drained the oil when the motor was hot, several minutes after a long ride. I let the oil drain over night. Perhaps this long drain time allows for that extra bit of oil to drain out.
 
I let mine drain until the flow almost stopped and mine is right in the middle of the marks. I need to grab another quart and top it off just for my piece of mind.
 
ridesalot_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
A couple, myself included put in 4 qts and the oil is over the upper hash mark and at the top of the window. I find this interesting...and a bit confusing :huh:
I wonder if it could have to do with drain time? I added the Honda recommended "4 quarts plus" amount of oil. I drained the oil when the motor was hot, several minutes after a long ride. I let the oil drain over night. Perhaps this long drain time allows for that extra bit of oil to drain out.
I drained mine when the motor was fairly hot; I also let it drain longer than I usually would, since the is the first oil change. I started the draining on the side stand, then sat on the bike after about 10 mins. and even leaned it slightly the other direction. Then back on the side stand. Then stood it upright again. Then screwed drain bolt in loosely, removed oil catch pan, and put it up on centerstand for good, removed drain bolt and let it drain some more. I know, I'm crazy, but it's just how I do it. Anyways, exactly 4 quarts worked perfectly.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ericepiritu....just out of curiosity, you put in 4 qts ? .... and where did the oil level wind up in the sight window?
Hi, the dealer sold me 5 quarts, i put in only 4 and the level is on the maximum allowed line.
 
I had to kind of laugh when I got my bike back from the dealer and with some of our comments here. Some of us do things pretty exacting when it comes to oil changes etc. Yet the pros don't always. Most of us have experienced too tight oil filters from the factory and too loose oil plugs. They say to use a new crush washer each time yet my dealer did not. (I had marked it).

When it comes to which oil to use, there could be World War Three started yet many take their bikes to dealers who use oil other than the Manufacturers.

I had the crush washer marked for another reason but it just made me laugh when they didn't bother change it. Changed by a dealer doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.
 
Perhaps the center stand sets the bike at an angle that retains some oil in the front of the crank case.

I have no confidence in a dealer until it is earned. So far, mine is doing ok getting me parts.
 
The ferret_imp said:
yea I always put oil in the filter as well. Some bike seem to never take the same amt 2 changes in a row. Once its 4 gal 3 oz. next change you put in 4. 3 and the window is covered up. On the ST the oil level always seems to go up after a test ride. Its weird. It's always easier to add, than to take some out. [/i]
I'm gonna go broke on oil changes.:s Lol.:D
 
The ferret_imp said:
How much oil you guys sticking back in with a filter change...i know it calls for 4.1 gal (4 gals 3.2 oz ?) but the ST 1300 calls for the same amount, but most ST owners just stick a gallon in it and be done with it.
Gentlemen,

I assume you mean 4 quarts and not 4 gallons?

Chip
 
Just performed my first service at 516 mi using Repsol 10W30 Full Syn and OE Honda filter. I let the bike drain hot both on the center stand and then on the side stand. I poured in ~3.8 quarts of oil and started the bike and let it run for about 2 min. Oil settled to the lower line. I then added about 1.5 ounces to the top line and started the bike for another minute. Shut off and let it settle. Oil level is right on the top line. After the filter soaks in a bit I may need to add a bit more but will know after my first ride. I would say overall you are replacing 3.9 - 4.0 qts of oil on a typical oil change.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
How much oil you guys sticking back in with a filter change...i know it calls for 4.1 gal (4 gals 3.2 oz ?) but the ST 1300 calls for the same amount, but most ST owners just stick a gallon in it and be done with it.
Gentlemen,

I assume you mean 4 quarts and not 4 gallons?

Chip
Gentlemen,

I assume you mean 4 quarts and not 4 gallons?

Chip

Lol...yea just a typo...4.1 qts...One gallon doh! Damn can you imagine sticking 4 gallons of oil in there? It would be running out of every hole including the muffler lol

Thanks for pointing that out Chip.
 
My oil level is always too full from the dealer. I would put about 4 ounces less that 4 quarts, run it, and see where you are 3 minutes after stop on the center stand. It is very satisfying to look in the glass and see the level just touching the top mark.

When I got my bike new the oil was full up and over the top of the glass. Even putting the bike on the side stand did not reveal any clearance at the top of the glass. I took it back to the dealer and they drained out the excess (they got the bike from another dealer) and when I got it back it was perfect. They must have taken out half a quart.

Now this time, the oil is up to the top of the glass window, but when I put it on the side stand the level goes all the way down to the bottom of the glass window such that you have to turn the wiper to even see it. I am guessing I am only slightly over with this info and it is ok.

Too much oil in your crankcase is absolutely as dangerous for your engine as too little oil. So it really is important to have it right.
 
Well I did my second oil change last Saturday and I put in just about 4.2 Qts. I put in the full 4 quarts and then spun the wiper to make sure I could see clearly and it was under half way between the lines, so I opened Qt #5 and topped it off.
I do let the oil drain until there is about nothing left soo.....

And an odd thing happened. I'm not sure if it's due to the windshield I installed, or the switch I made to synthetic oil, but my mileage jumped in the neighborhood of 15%. On my commute I was getting between 42-44 mpg and after the installation and oil change I'm getting right on 50. This is a 58 mile one way commute with a couple LARGE hill climes and traffic that REFUSSES to go slower that 75mph. Needless to say I was a bit surprised when I got home on Wednesday and filled up (it rained on Mon and Tues).
 
Randy B_imp said:
Well I did my second oil change last Saturday and I put in just about 4.2 Qts. I put in the full 4 quarts and then spun the wiper to make sure I could see clearly and it was under half way between the lines, so I opened Qt #5 and topped it off.
I do let the oil drain until there is about nothing left soo.....

And an odd thing happened. I'm not sure if it's due to the windshield I installed, or the switch I made to synthetic oil, but my mileage jumped in the neighborhood of 15%. On my commute I was getting between 42-44 mpg and after the installation and oil change I'm getting right on 50. This is a 58 mile one way commute with a couple LARGE hill climes and traffic that REFUSSES to go slower that 75mph. Needless to say I was a bit surprised when I got home on Wednesday and filled up (it rained on Mon and Tues).
Mileage can be all over the place. I've been getting 50mpg since my first tank of fuel using regular Honda GN4 motor oil.

Seems as though you put in a lot of oil. Three minutes after you shut down the motor, on the center stand, where is your oil level on the sight glass?
 
I'll have to see about a picture, but it won't be for a couple days at least. I'm not going anywhere today as it's going to be too damned hot and the bike it cornered between a car and my truck in the garage. I HATE having a tandem garage, but it's better than not having one at all.....ugh.
 
meowguy_imp said:
My oil level is always too full from the dealer. I would put about 4 ounces less that 4 quarts, run it, and see where you are 3 minutes after stop on the center stand. It is very satisfying to look in the glass and see the level just touching the top mark.

When I got my bike new the oil was full up and over the top of the glass. Even putting the bike on the side stand did not reveal any clearance at the top of the glass. I took it back to the dealer and they drained out the excess (they got the bike from another dealer) and when I got it back it was perfect. They must have taken out half a quart.

Now this time, the oil is up to the top of the glass window, but when I put it on the side stand the level goes all the way down to the bottom of the glass window such that you have to turn the wiper to even see it. I am guessing I am only slightly over with this info and it is ok.

Too much oil in your crankcase is absolutely as dangerous for your engine as too little oil. So it really is important to have it right.
Too right, and I have had the same issue with my dealer. Oil is above the top of the sight glass. Looks like it might be just at the very top so I won't drain any but I prefer to see a little daylight there.
 
I noticed in my owners manual on page 46 that oils marked "Resource Conserving" or "Energy Conserving" on the API symbol are not recommended for use in the CB. Every oil I looked at at Walmart and the auto parts store were marked with one or the other with the exception of Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic.
Any thoughts on why?
My 2001 Honda F4i did not have this restriction. I just sold it today. It had 92,000 miles on it and was still running strong.
 
They havent recommended energy conserving oils in motorcycles for years because the additives mess up the wet clutch
 
Back
Top