oil change

CA200_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So I did my first oil change at 497 miles, ( It is going to rain all week here)
A little word of caution - on most new bikes I have bought the drain plug bolt was way tight. Not so here, mine took very little to remove and not
near the 22ft.lbs. it should be. You might want to check yours!
I did cut open the oil filter. Very well made like I had heard.
I have done this a lot since I used to sell so many brands.
I found no extra junk in it. I once cut open a Kaw. filter at 100 miles and
found it packed with gasket sealer!
I have a lift so it was easy except we had been out on some roads
covered with manure the day before:-/
[/img]
 
So it was a pretty crappy job? Sorry, couldn't help myself!
 
Thread starter
I used a Honda filter this time. I wish K&N would decide which filter to use. I know that their 303 or 204 will fit but they don't list one yet on their web page. They already list a air filter.I used to sell K&N filters and they are good. Hiflo makes them under contract .
Yes popgun it was a crappy clean up but the farmers up here in Wi. have get it to the fields some how.
 
I have been told these use the same filter and the 91-03 750 Nighthawks do so that should give you a direction to go with a filter.
 
Stopped down at a northern Kentucky Hon /Suz/Kaw dealer today. They havent seen a CB 1100 yet, but do have a couple on order. Anyhow, I inquired about an oil filter for the CB. They didn,t have anything about the CB on their computers yet so the parts gal called Honda. Apparently, It takes the same small filter as my ST 1300 and CB 750 Nighthawk # 15410-MFJ-D01 so I picked up a couple of those, and it calls for 4.1 qts of Honda 4 stroke 10W30 oil when changing. I picked up some of it as well in prep for the 600 mile service which I'll be doing myself.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I have been told these use the same filter and the 91-03 750 Nighthawks do so that should give you a direction to go with a filter.
I can verify that. The dealer didn't have the part # in their system, but they were able to get it from the Honda of America website using some special dealer access.

I still have a big box of 'em that I bought for my Nighthawk. The part number is 15410-MFJ-D01.

I did my oil change about 10 days ago and it fit perfectly. It was easier (and less messy) than the Nighthawk because there are no pipes in front of the filter.

BTW - I too noticed that the oil drain plug was surprisingly easy to remove. No way it was torqued to spec.
 
How much oil you guys sticking back in with a filter change...i know it calls for 4.1 gal (4 gals 3.2 oz ?) but the ST 1300 calls for the same amount, but most ST owners just stick a gallon in it and be done with it.
 
I, personally, never go by the specified amount. I put in oil, and go by the dipstick, then run, wait a time, then recheck. One reason is I always pre-oil the filter so there is already some oil in there.

Plus, you can never get ALL the oil out of pretty much any engine.

Always works well on cars and bikes. On 4 strokes outboards though it is very easy to over fill so you have to know the proper technique.
 
yea I always put oil in the filter as well. Some bike seem to never take the same amt 2 changes in a row. Once its 4 gal 3 oz. next change you put in 4. 3 and the window is covered up. On the ST the oil level always seems to go up after a test ride. Its weird. It's always easier to add, than to take some out. [/i]
 
I made the mistake of putting in what they said it would take. Poured in a gallon jug and a few ounces from a quart bottle. The oil came right up to the top of the window. I would have been more comfortable to see a little more daylight, but it wasn't so full that I'd consider draining some out.

After changing the oil on the same bike for 17 yrs. I'd gotten used to putting in the right amount without checking. Looks like I'll have to take a few more steps until I get a good feel for what it needs.
 
I performed my first service today. I must say I thought that filter would NOT come off. I was getting to the point where I thought the old screwdriver was going to come into play. Oh and the drain plug...."SNAP...CRACK" (noise that is) so it was definitely not loose like some of you have been saying.

1d7352d1d71bdddd3818f30e6f9427b0.jpg
3ab59061c4781c5a4aa207409e3a2cfe.jpg


I have had stuck filters before, but never on a vehicle with 700 miles on it.
Oh and the cap style filter wrench....no go. It won't fit between the header and the filter so I had to go buy a pair of filter pliers like in Ferrets 600 mile service post.
 
I test fitted the cup style filter wrench before deciding there wasn't enough room for the cup,extension and ratchet without hitting the headers so I went with the pliars style. Plenty of room for it, worked perfectly. My filter was on there pretty tight as well.
 
Yeah but you didn't have to crush it to get it off. Even after it broke free I had to use the pliers for almost half a turn just to get the thing free. I don't know what they did when they installed it, but it was definitely too tight.
 
Tight fitting oil filters and Randy's experience have been reported on the UK board too. I wonder if the factory is putting them on without oil on the gasket then torquing them to the 19 ft. lbs spec.
 
Thread starter
No I did not find any junk or metal shavings at all. I think it just goes to show Honda's build quality. I have done this a lot and most times find
something.
ferret I also had the same exact filter wrench and mine came off easy.
Randy B's bike must have done on the day someone was mad at something!
 
Did my first oil change, oil filter came off as it should along with drain plug.took entire 4 qts. level below upper hash mark. I used Honda oil and filter,which I already discussed on oil post why....Thanks for all the info....
 
Hi, i also made my first oil change at 500 miles, used Honda filter and 1 gal. of honda 10w-40. The oil filter was also very tight and the drain bolt so easy to loosen. Thank you for all the info. Big help. FYI the dealer wanted $100 for the service not bad but its so easy to do the guys at the dealership said so.
 
Ericepiritu....just out of curiosity, you put in 4 qts ? .... and where did the oil level wind up in the sight window?
 
Back
Top