Oil Change Time!

Jambo_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
If you want to spin people up with staunch opinions, this is a good topic!

Just got my CB, and decided to do an oil change. Note I removed the stock exhaust as I have a new Delkevic I am installing (on another thread), but thought I would share this.

While the stock exhaust was off, I figured this was the one and only opportunity to clean up the motor w/o the headers in the way. My recently acquired CB only has 5900 miles, but there was significant stuck on crud and chalky crust there. I used some kerosene with a small plastic brush a little bigger than a tooth brush to get in all the numerous nooks and crannies, then wiped it down with an old rag to get most of the kerosene residue off. I include a pic of my happy motor from me showing the love.
3536f80847fac0dce48caffa7960b329.jpg


You might note, I went ahead and changed the oil/filter, as it establishes a known baseline for me as the new owner. The oil looked pretty good and did not really need to be changed. No matter. Even though the previous owner gave me a OEM filter, I decided to go with a Proflo reusable filter I had on hand that was targeted for another Honda I sold (w/o the filter). Since I had no idea if it would fit, I took a chance having the OEM on hand if it didn't. Fit perfectly! Awesome! It has a beautiful billet chassis with innards removable to clean with a solvent and blow dry. The surgical steel mesh inside I recall is good to about 30 microns. Not quite as good as the best filters out there, assuming you can even get their specs (you can't), but figured using full synthetic and changing frequently, it should filter just fine. These are not cheap, costing about $100. They only make sense cost-wise if you keep the bike long enough to do 10 or so changes, but it certainly looks better. It has a hex head to easily torque it. Also note, I noticed upon cleaning the motor that there were pre-drilled holes in the protrusions at the bottom of the oil pan. The Proflo also has a pre-drilled hole in the hex head. Surprised why Honda would put those there? Since it would take only a minute, I broke out the safety wire and wired it up, just because I could, not because it needed it at all.

df14c4eb9014b06acbc478080265879d.jpg


Now for some more controversy. I like Mobil-1 oil. You can get it online at Wally World for only $23 shipped free for a 5qt. container. I chose the 10W30 that DOES NOT HAVE THE RESOURCE CONSERVING! Resource conserving on the API symbol (the round one on the back of the container), means it has "friction modifiers", like Teflon. This is not good for your clutch and should never be used. Don't ask me how I know this, but it might have something to do with me replacing a clutch a couple decades ago....
The change with filter uses about 4.1q, so it is only about $19 to do a full synthetic oil change, with the reusable filter. Because it is so cheap, relatively, I have no qualms about doing it on 3K mile intervals, which is totally overkill.

Spending that 2-3 times a season (have other bikes) is a small price to pay to ensure my baby is running best and lasting as long as possible. Just IMHO.
I only had 3.6 quarts left in the 5q container of 10W30, so I put in a 0.5q of 15W50 I had on hand. No biggie.

In terms of the API, you want this:
07d77cce80d89b84a213b1325c28023c.jpg


NOT this:
0243fa5228b81119b5e8d4677801cdde.jpg


Sometimes it will say "Energy Conserving".

I showed the 15W50 symbol just for reference.
The 10W30 container is buried in a bin to take to recycle.
The obvious other advantage of the Proflo, is that I only need to keep oil stocked and on-hand, and never need to be concerned about whether I have (the right) oil filter on hand (having multiple bikes).

Just drop oil, clean filter, and reinstall and fill.

Doing my own oil changes gives me the opportunity to check everything out to make sure all is as it should be.

I will use carb cleaner to spray out the wire mesh, which is a surgical stainless steel. It is important to get all that residue off the mesh and it is completely dry before reinstallation. I don't want a solvent breaking down my oil.
To do this, I use compressed air spraying the mesh from the inside.
One other (perhaps) controversial subject. The oil pan drain bolt gasket. Of course the manual says the washer should be changed with every oil change. I call BS. I have a variety of Cu washers on hand, but never generally use them. I have never had a reused washer leak. I surmise that when you torque it, it likely settles right back to where it was before, IF there were any indentations. When I remove the plug and wipe it off, I don't remove it so it is in the same orientation (not flipped) as when removed.
Things like this are just to persuade do-it-yourselfers from not servicing their own vehicles when they do not have a replacement on hand. This is my opinion. I think changing them is unnecessary. I have never had an issue with tons of changes on all my cars and bikes.
YMMV.
 
oh boy and oil and filter thread. :banana:

must say the front of that engine looks good.
 
I have some K&N filters, if anyone is interested.

:rofl::rofl:
 
Joking aside, that was a very good idea to do some cleaning up in there with the pipes removed.
 
Very interesting. I will check out the specs on that oil.

I reuse the gasket(washer), sometimes flipping it, sometimes filing it if it needs flattening.
 
No controversy here. Use what you like. Everyone seems to use different oil and filters on their CB and we’ve yet to hear of any engine failures (aside from the K&N fiasco).
 
i have to question the math on the reusable filter....not because i want to be an antagonist, but because i'm genuinely curious if it's worth it.

a proflo filter: PC Racing Honda CB1100 13-14 Flo Reusable Oil Filter

That's on sale at $116. now, i'm getting my oem honda oil filters for about 12 bucks apiece. I change said filters every two oil changes. by the book, that would be 16000 miles on a filter! but i don't go by the book. I change my oil every 4k miles just for the sake of overkill (we have something in common). I've been debating pulling back to 6k though, because i'm starting to think it's just silly paranoia.

anywho, 12 bucks per filter every 8k miles means that i will have to ride a WHOPPING 80k miles before the proflo breaks even with the oem filters in terms of cost. you'd have to be into 6 digit mileage before the proflo even really starts to show its true colors as a cost benefit that matters. you touched on this in your post, coming close to a similar conclusion when you mentioned the 10 oil changes.

alongside that, i have to question the long term durability of the filter. for Jambo: have you run any of those reusable filters for 80k miles without replacing it or replacing the mesh? what's the wear and tear like? It's only prudent to question whether the device can even stand up to enough abuse to justify its cost.

TLDR: is the proflo actually going to amount to any practical savings? or is it just convenient?
 
Nice work, Jambo. That engine looks terrific.

Moving along, there’s no point in an oil thread without acrimony and controversy. Mobil, Shell, Motul, GN4. They’re all rubbish and will do nothing but damage your motorcycle. Luckily, you’re a member of the CB1100 Forum through which you can obtain the only oil right for your bike. Match it with a previously demonstrated proven to leak K&N oil filter and you’re in business.

Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
hubris? Isn't that the pasty stuff made out of squashed chick peas?
EmptySea_imp said:
No no, Mickey. It's a cedar box in which you store cigars.
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Huh. I always thought it was something that was very funny.
Hubris? Could be good for a personalised plate but it is none of the above I'm afraid.

HUBRIS is, in fact, a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100. It is, despite being synthetic, a fully natural, grass fed, cholesterol and gluten free product. It is approved by the UNHCMO*, the IPCC and the CIA. It is guaranteed to eradicate and/or prevent engine noises, rattling, sputtering and vibration, frame rot, suspension chatter, brake binding, steering oscillatiions and other common CB maladies. A drop or two applied to the ECM will remove all limiters and result in massive increases in power and torque. It also may be effacious in the prevention of high side, low side and other rider induced moments. It is rumoured that a certain very successful MotoGP racer uses HUBRIS. To obtain Dr Dactyl's HUBRIS oil please send to Dr Dactyl your credit card details by Email. Be quick, it is in very short supply.

Cheers

* the United Nations High Commission for Motorcycle Oils.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i have to question the math on the reusable filter....not because i want to be an antagonist, but because i'm genuinely curious if it's worth it.

a proflo filter: PC Racing Honda CB1100 13-14 Flo Reusable Oil Filter

That's on sale at $116. now, i'm getting my oem honda oil filters for about 12 bucks apiece. I change said filters every two oil changes. by the book, that would be 16000 miles on a filter! but i don't go by the book. I change my oil every 4k miles just for the sake of overkill (we have something in common). I've been debating pulling back to 6k though, because i'm starting to think it's just silly paranoia.

anywho, 12 bucks per filter every 8k miles means that i will have to ride a WHOPPING 80k miles before the proflo breaks even with the oem filters in terms of cost. you'd have to be into 6 digit mileage before the proflo even really starts to show its true colors as a cost benefit that matters. you touched on this in your post, coming close to a similar conclusion when you mentioned the 10 oil changes.

alongside that, i have to question the long term durability of the filter. for Jambo: have you run any of those reusable filters for 80k miles without replacing it or replacing the mesh? what's the wear and tear like? It's only prudent to question whether the device can even stand up to enough abuse to justify its cost.

TLDR: is the proflo actually going to amount to any practical savings? or is it just convenient?
I genuinely have never heard of this concept and like MP I'm curious. My question is how do you clean it? I hate emptying and occasionally having to clean my bagless vacuum cleaner. This seems like much dirtier work than that. What's the procedure?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Nice work, Jambo. That engine looks terrific.

Moving along, there’s no point in an oil thread without acrimony and controversy. Mobil, Shell, Motul, GN4. They’re all rubbish and will do nothing but damage your motorcycle. Luckily, you’re a member of the CB1100 Forum through which you can obtain the only oil right for your bike. Match it with a previously demonstrated proven to leak K&N oil filter and you’re in business.

Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
hubris? Isn't that the pasty stuff made out of squashed chick peas?
EmptySea_imp said:
No no, Mickey. It's a cedar box in which you store cigars.
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Huh. I always thought it was something that was very funny.
Hubris? Could be good for a personalised plate but it is none of the above I'm afraid.

HUBRIS is, in fact, a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100. It is, despite being synthetic, a fully natural, grass fed, cholesterol and gluten free product. It is approved by the UNHCMO*, the IPCC and the CIA. It is guaranteed to eradicate and/or prevent engine noises, rattling, sputtering and vibration, frame rot, suspension chatter, brake binding, steering oscillatiions and other common CB maladies. A drop or two applied to the ECM will remove all limiters and result in massive increases in power and torque. It also may be effacious in the prevention of high side, low side and other rider induced moments. It is rumoured that a certain very successful MotoGP racer uses HUBRIS. To obtain Dr Dactyl's HUBRIS oil please send to Dr Dactyl your credit card details by Email. Be quick, it is in very short supply.

Cheers

* the United Nations High Commission for Motorcycle Oils.
Wow, I am very impressed with HUBRIS special oil...I took a 3.0 cc dose in AM and PM and I cannot see any prosthetic insert in my right knee = amazing :rolleyes:
Good stuff!

Side note: Lord Popgun, be carful with your case...your Secret Decoder Ring may be visible from its first application!!
 
I have no HUBRIS oil. I don’t think we can even have it in the US! In fact, IIRC, Ptero almost got Cormanus arrested at the first rally for smuggling some in. There is even a picture of the PoPo talking to him about it. ;)

In any case, we all know the best oil is OHHH, I have some Cherry Garcia in the freezer. Gotta get some! :D
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
No controversy here. Use what you like. Everyone seems to use different oil and filters on their CB and we’ve yet to hear of any engine failures (aside from the K&N fiasco).
What K&N fiasco? Must be a thread here somewhere.
LongRanger_imp said:
No controversy here. Use what you like. Everyone seems to use different oil and filters on their CB and we’ve yet to hear of any engine failures (aside from the K&N fiasco).
What K&N fiasco? Must be a thread here somewhere.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i have to question the math on the reusable filter....not because i want to be an antagonist, but because i'm genuinely curious if it's worth it.

a proflo filter: PC Racing Honda CB1100 13-14 Flo Reusable Oil Filter

That's on sale at $116. now, i'm getting my oem honda oil filters for about 12 bucks apiece. I change said filters every two oil changes. by the book, that would be 16000 miles on a filter! but i don't go by the book. I change my oil every 4k miles just for the sake of overkill (we have something in common). I've been debating pulling back to 6k though, because i'm starting to think it's just silly paranoia.

anywho, 12 bucks per filter every 8k miles means that i will have to ride a WHOPPING 80k miles before the proflo breaks even with the oem filters in terms of cost. you'd have to be into 6 digit mileage before the proflo even really starts to show its true colors as a cost benefit that matters. you touched on this in your post, coming close to a similar conclusion when you mentioned the 10 oil changes.

alongside that, i have to question the long term durability of the filter. for Jambo: have you run any of those reusable filters for 80k miles without replacing it or replacing the mesh? what's the wear and tear like? It's only prudent to question whether the device can even stand up to enough abuse to justify its cost.

TLDR: is the proflo actually going to amount to any practical savings? or is it just convenient?
You are right in questioning it. I have seen them recently (somewhere) for $90. That surely makes a difference in the cost benefit analyses. You are also right in questioning the longevity. Trouble for me, in that I have used these on three separate bikes, is I have a propensity to change the bikes often, hence why I happened to already have that one on hand. I do not remember what I paid, but recollection said it was around $100. I may have gotten 30K out of one, but it could have been less. There is a convenience factor. It is a thin steel mesh, and anything in the world could fail, but tend to think that less likely than a fiber/paper based element. Also because it is a "racing application", the flow rate is higher and therefore, the micron is also higher (theoretically). Oil filter manufacturers, IF they test to standards end up with an AVERAGE for the filter life, as what it flows in the beginning is not what it flows in the end, so it is really hard to compare the actual filtering characteristics. In my case, a change is so relatively cheap, that around 3K miles and a change, the oil is darkened somewhat, but still looks pretty good. I know I am not needing to do this. But, in the bikes and the cars, when I change the oil I can tell the difference in the smoothness of the motor. It can't be hurting it. Only my wallet. The cost is so low though, I don't worry about it.
To the car vs. bike, and to generate more controversy, it is hard for me to imagine the difference and how the oil formula is much different when it is already synthetic. Bikes (allegedly) rev higher, some anyway, but the redline on the CB (judging by the tach) is 8500, and the Honda Civic I have is around 6800 (larger reciprocating mass). And the bike clutch is bathed in oil, which could generate more particles. Other than that, there really isn't a difference.
If some people feel there is evidence (have not done exhaustive research) that the bike formulations justify a 300% increase in oil acquisition cost, and the result in terms of longevity is measurable, than the $55 cost of a change (oil and OEM filter) could be justified.
I change the oil so often, I wonder how bad it would be for the bike motor if the filter was bypassed. Of course, I do not want to test that though.
YMMV!
 
Others can expound, but the gist is that the weld at the nut would rupture and spew oil out. Happened to a couple of members here. Oil all over the bottom of the engine, making its way all over the rear tire. Not Good.

The problem was actually documented on a lot of boards for a pretty long time. K&N got sued or maybe told to have a recall or something but said it only happened over a short time span. That part was't true, but, whatever.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i have to question the math on the reusable filter....not because i want to be an antagonist, but because i'm genuinely curious if it's worth it.

a proflo filter: PC Racing Honda CB1100 13-14 Flo Reusable Oil Filter

That's on sale at $116. now, i'm getting my oem honda oil filters for about 12 bucks apiece. I change said filters every two oil changes. by the book, that would be 16000 miles on a filter! but i don't go by the book. I change my oil every 4k miles just for the sake of overkill (we have something in common). I've been debating pulling back to 6k though, because i'm starting to think it's just silly paranoia.

anywho, 12 bucks per filter every 8k miles means that i will have to ride a WHOPPING 80k miles before the proflo breaks even with the oem filters in terms of cost. you'd have to be into 6 digit mileage before the proflo even really starts to show its true colors as a cost benefit that matters. you touched on this in your post, coming close to a similar conclusion when you mentioned the 10 oil changes.

alongside that, i have to question the long term durability of the filter. for Jambo: have you run any of those reusable filters for 80k miles without replacing it or replacing the mesh? what's the wear and tear like? It's only prudent to question whether the device can even stand up to enough abuse to justify its cost.

TLDR: is the proflo actually going to amount to any practical savings? or is it just convenient?
I genuinely have never heard of this concept and like MP I'm curious. My question is how do you clean it? I hate emptying and occasionally having to clean my bagless vacuum cleaner. This seems like much dirtier work than that. What's the procedure?
I genuinely have never heard of this concept and like MP I'm curious. My question is how do you clean it? I hate emptying and occasionally having to clean my bagless vacuum cleaner. This seems like much dirtier work than that. What's the procedure?
I you look at the picture posted to the link, you just push down and rotate as the unit is keyed and it pops out from the spring mechanism that pushes up on the filter cartridge. I usually am wearing gloves when changing the oil (Harbor Freight sells some inexpensive 7 or 8 mil thick blue latex gloves), because I will get oil on my hands otherwise in removing the filter plug. Have paper towels and plastic baggy on hand to wipe off the plug and motor at the plug and filter. Take the cartridge, spray it with some carb cleaner from the inside, blow it out with compressed air and let it dry. Can be done while the oil drips, so no extra time involved. I have a bus pan from Costco I use for this, but any oil change pan is good, to catch the carb spray and any gook. After all said change is done, I towel off everything and wipe pans out and the funnel used for recycle, and put away. Takes 30-60 minutes total. Less than the time required to take it somewhere. And I know it is done correctly.
One other note. The filter comes with a rubber gasket and spare. Theoretically, if those don't last 10 oil changes, there might be some more expense to get gaskets.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
i have to question the math on the reusable filter....not because i want to be an antagonist, but because i'm genuinely curious if it's worth it.

a proflo filter: PC Racing Honda CB1100 13-14 Flo Reusable Oil Filter

That's on sale at $116. now, i'm getting my oem honda oil filters for about 12 bucks apiece. I change said filters every two oil changes. by the book, that would be 16000 miles on a filter! but i don't go by the book. I change my oil every 4k miles just for the sake of overkill (we have something in common). I've been debating pulling back to 6k though, because i'm starting to think it's just silly paranoia.

anywho, 12 bucks per filter every 8k miles means that i will have to ride a WHOPPING 80k miles before the proflo breaks even with the oem filters in terms of cost. you'd have to be into 6 digit mileage before the proflo even really starts to show its true colors as a cost benefit that matters. you touched on this in your post, coming close to a similar conclusion when you mentioned the 10 oil changes.

alongside that, i have to question the long term durability of the filter. for Jambo: have you run any of those reusable filters for 80k miles without replacing it or replacing the mesh? what's the wear and tear like? It's only prudent to question whether the device can even stand up to enough abuse to justify its cost.

TLDR: is the proflo actually going to amount to any practical savings? or is it just convenient?
I see a seller on Amazon selling one for $110.18 shipped. There is another for $75, but it is made by DLP, so thinking that is a Chinese knockoff. Would have to do some research there. The one I used is a PCS1 model, and it is the same one put on my 2014 Valkyrie. The OEM is Honda Oil Filter 15410-MFJ-D01 for CB1100 and Revzilla has those for $10.69.
I actually called this the wrong name. It is called a FLO reusable filter by PC Racing. From their website:
https://pcracingusa.com/shop/flo-oil/spin-on/honda-street-pcs1/
It fits the CB1100 '13-'15.
Maybe a hard to prove argument is that with it being billet and having cooling fins and being in the wind on the leading edge of the motor, maybe it offers additional cooling properties than an OEM, but I am not really going to make that claim.
I think it does LOOK cool! Lol.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
One more question Jambo, are you coming to the rally? We'd all like to see that beautiful bike of yours and you're not that far!

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15158
Thanks for letting me know as I was unaware.
Likely not, for several reasons:
I actually have only put on about 10 miles so far on the CB before I started working (disassembling) on it. Right now my Delkevic full system is only dry fit, not installed, and I think I will need the PC installed, and a shakedown done before an 8-hour trip. I am drowning in work, and will be working this weekend, and Labor Day too. I actually just got registered yesterday and put the tag on. The 10 miles was from slapping on another tag just to get the state inspection done.
 
Back
Top