Oil change questions...

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hey guys, I’m a long time rider who unfortunately doesn’t ride a lot. I have 4 bikes, spread between 2 homes in Florida and Georgia. Last year I rode my Harley 3 times for a total of 1100 miles. It’s a 2004 SuperGlide with about 22,000 miles on her. My 2009 KLR is ridden the least, about 200 miles on 3 different rides and she has only about 3000 miles on the clock. My 2014 CB1100 DLX has about 5000 miles on it and I rode it 9 times for about 1500 miles last year. My recent addition, a 1970 H1 has been ridden a whopping 65 miles this year so far in 4 rides. I just bought it in February and since it’s almost 50 years old, I’m not going too far while I learn a bit more about her. She has an indicated 16000 miles on the odometer. So here’s my questions. In years past, I would just change the oil once a year, generally in the spring. But here we are in the spring again and it’s time to change the oil... again. But I’ve not really ridden any of the bikes that much. I run synthetic in all of them, except the H1 due to its age. So what’s the pros and cons of continuing this habit? I think it might be a waste of money and time to change it every year. With this kind of riding, couldn’t I stretch it out to 2 years with no issues? If I was doing alot of riding, I’d do it more frequently on a time frame or mileage limit just like my cars. What do you think? I know the pros to doing this... what’s the cons?
 
I would be reluctant not to change at least once a year, but let's examine your situation:

1. Is oil color same as new?

2. In signs of moisture in the crankcase(s)?...especially for the one which averaged only 15 miles a ride.

Just a quip, but how much trouble/cost is changing oil, compared to replacing piston rings?

My criteria is time, mileage, color and level.
 
The "book" always says to change oil based on miles or time interval, but I understand your dilemma. Same thing applies to brake fluid and coolant. One of my bikes sees very little use, perhaps 500 miles per year, and I don't bother to change its oil annually. It's more out of laziness than thrift. I hesitate to give you guidance but I don't disagree with your rationalization.
 
I believe, if you crank them over every couple of months, and let them warm to running temp to burn out any moisture, you should be good for a couple of years.

Oil does not go bad in the original container, it should not go bad in a sealed crankcase. The stuff is millions of years old when we buy it, what would a couple of more year matter?

Oh, I hate insurance too! :-)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
oil ages.....but if you dont drive in real high rpms....no problems if no change by that low miles amount yearly
 
I see it the same.

For example. Three aircooled engines somehow similar but different concepts. RE: 1 cylinder with the oldest technique, W800: paralleltwin and CB: Inline 4, both having more modern engines.

All manufactures recommend different intervalls.
RE 6.000km oil and filter.
Honda every 6.000km oil, every 12.000km plus filter.
Kawasaki every 12.000km oil and filter. Or after 2 years what comes earlier.

What do I do?
Stick to the Kawa condition also for the CB.
With the Bullet I try to change within its intervall.
It's more important that the motor has enough oil,
should be the case in your case.

If I only would ride such less miles as you do, I would only change every second year 'cause the oil is nearly unused.
Maybe not even that often.

It's your decision and money but no guarantee from my side.

Wisedrum
 
The theory is that acids and moisture sitting can cause issues.

Modern materials and tolerances are much better than the 60's, 70's, 80's.

There is no need to change the oil other than miles (actually running time generating carbon, accumulating fuel, inhaling dust)
 
To each his own of course, but up here we have to mothball our bikes over the winter for nearly six months.
Regardless of mileage, I always change the oil and filter in the fall rather than leave contaminated oil in the engine for that long.
Right or wrong, I do it regardless. Cheap insurance.
 
Found this posted on an antique auto site. Makes sense and agrees with what many say here.

"The problem with a vehicle that logs only 3,500 miles in 1 year is that–in most cases–those miles are accumulated mostly with short-distance local driving. That type of driving does not allow the engine and the oil to become hot enough to evaporate the water vapor, and the oil becomes diluted over time.

The process of dilution of the oil, coupled with an engine running on a richer than normal mixture when it is not fully warmed-up, can create the perfect storm for the formation of sludge, internal corrosion, and resulting engine damage."



Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
ride4now,
Congratulations on a fine collection, you are a lucky devil to have such a problem!
On all but the old Harley your rides are long enough to fully heat the entire system so there's no need to worry about condensation issues. If the bikes were mine I'd feel comfortable doing an oil change every second year and probably wouldn't even run them in the garage unless I was warming it up to take out for a ride ... however I would aim to ride each one at least once every 3 months or there abouts.
 
A simple solution. Stop by my place when heading to Florida-Georgia and leave the Kawasakis with me. I'll keep the oil changed and make sure that they are ridden enough to keep the crankcases free of moisture. See, simple!
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
A simple solution. Stop by my place when heading to Florida-Georgia and leave the Kawasakis with me. I'll keep the oil changed and make sure that they are ridden enough to keep the crankcases free of moisture. See, simple!
That’s the best answer so far!! Not that the others were bad... :D
 
ride4now_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
A simple solution. Stop by my place when heading to Florida-Georgia and leave the Kawasakis with me. I'll keep the oil changed and make sure that they are ridden enough to keep the crankcases free of moisture. See, simple!
That’s the best answer so far!! Not that the others were bad... :D
That’s the best answer so far!! Not that the others were bad... :D
T'was a "noble" thought!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
A simple solution. Stop by my place when heading to Florida-Georgia and leave the Kawasakis with me. I'll keep the oil changed and make sure that they are ridden enough to keep the crankcases free of moisture. See, simple!
That’s the best answer so far!! Not that the others were bad... :D
That’s the best answer so far!! Not that the others were bad... :D
T'was a "noble" thought!
That’s the best answer so far!! Not that the others were bad... :D
T'was a "noble" thought!
I thought it downright generous. All the inconvenience of thrashing riding another bloke's bikes.
 
Back
Top