Oil change - filter differences.

Houtman_imp said:
Common sense is far more useful than being smart .
How come it’s so uncommon?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
... so are we doomed?

The future (if any) of the new CB1100 is in who's hands? :s
I'm coming to terms with the fact that if things keep going in the direction that they are going, as far as the CB1100 and all other gasoline engine motorcycles goes, those that are riding to today are it, enjoy it now. I'm a fan of Lotus cars. They recently announced the release of what they intend to be their last gasoline engine powered car the 'Emira'. It's all electric after that (so they say)..
That news was a bit of a shocking wakeup to me..
Those of us of 'that age' got to witness and participate in the incredible evolution of the motorcycle from the '60s on..
It was a nice ride.
 
Evolution?

That's a huge question with no simple answer but I'll start with a premise that it's the internet's, and parents fault. By definition common sense is good judgement in practical matters (the way I understand it anyway) and as such it's a heuristic. As many children in the 21st century grew up with overprotective parents most young people's experience comes mainly from the web, and it's very difficult to express any kind of practical judgment where there is no practical experience.

A standup comedian I once saw, an older gentleman who's name escapes me at the moment, had a nice little joke which went something along the lines of:
- Did you notice how there are so many more stupid people nowadays? - The stupid ones from our generation just didn't make it!
He continues to blame the overprotective culture and how today literally anyone can live to see old age.

I am a Gen X (on the very edge of the generation) and consider myself lucky to have grown up without the restraints of modern upbringing. Our childhood was quite unsupervised and we were free to get into as much trouble as humanly possible. To those of us who were reasonable people (children) became clear very early on that actions have consequences and that's what kept us in check



'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
Evolution?

That's a huge question with no simple answer but I'll start with a premise that it's the internet's, and parents fault. By definition common sense is good judgement in practical matters (the way I understand it anyway) and as such it's a heuristic. As many children in the 21st century grew up with overprotective parents most young people's experience comes mainly from the web, and it's very difficult to express any kind of practical judgment where there is no practical experience.

A standup comedian I once saw, an older gentleman who's name escapes me at the moment, had a nice little joke which went something along the lines of:
- Did you notice how there are so many more stupid people nowadays? - The stupid ones from our generation just didn't make it!
He continues to blame the overprotective culture and how today literally anyone can live to see old age.

I am a Gen X (on the very edge of the generation) and consider myself lucky to have grown up without the restraints of modern upbringing. Our childhood was quite unsupervised and we were free to get into as much trouble as humanly possible. To those of us who were reasonable people (children) became clear very early on that actions have consequences and that's what kept us in check



'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I hadn't really considered this, but I think there's a lot of truth in this. I'd add to that the horrible world of social media that got built on top of the internet in the last decade has made things even worse, by presenting to young immature minds a view that is tailor made to flatter them and lead them to believe that the majority of 'the world' agrees with all of their ideas (the social media 'likes' and 'filters') all so that they can be loosened up to buy more stuff from the sponsoring advertising.
When I first heard of colleges having 'safe rooms' where students could run to when they felt threatened by hearing ideas that they don't agree with, it was clear that something *has* happened to a generation...
 
These are solid commentaries Tod and Furious B. I see first hand much truth backing some of these behaviours and maybe it is a First World issue only? It wouldn't surprise me. Many have dropped the ball over the many decades, particularly in the last one or two. Like the lazy oil filter design for the beloved CB1100. Why bother making a substandard filter? Why not just make it as good for less or better for same and more? It will hurt to see the day grandpa rolls his CB1100 out of the garage, with the help of his [hopefully] commonsense grandchildren and starts by saying shakily, " ... in the age of petroleum fuel and canister oil filters, I remember a time when ... ".
 
redbirds_imp said:
Good video and why I always use the Honda filter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZicO-ZmPGcw&t=9s

Long but interesting to see what's inside of the different offerings. I always go with the manufacturer's filters. Their engineers know what characteristics their designs work best with and the factory presumably has tested what they sell to be sure that those standards are met.
I had a 2008 Harley Softail. Sometime in the mid-2000s the engine design and manufacturing had changed with tightened up bearing clearances. This meant that the oil filtration spec had to be ramped up to be more stringent and a newer oil filter was specified that could meet the higher standard. The new filter looks just like the old filters, I never checked but I would not be surprised if the new ones shared the same mounts as the old ones which means that you could screw on a filter meant for the older engine and possibly do some damage from the dirtier oil. For this same reason I'll use a manufacturers filters, who knows what kind of filtration and flow characteristics are best suited for a particular engine ?
A side note: because of the tightened bearing tolerances they had to boost the minimum oil pressure to the engine and this meant raising the idle speed for the oil pump. Whenever I see a video someone who has turned down the idle speed on a newer Softail Engine to a barely sustainable 'ka-bump ka-bump' I just envision accelerated bearing wear, I guess it's just the price to be paid in exchange for the entertainment value.
But I digress.. yeah, Genuine Honda Oil Filters for me too, always !
 
I can't get over excited about filters. My lads new 2021 CB125F doesn't have one. It has a sump strainer so any large particles or gasket debris doesn't make its way to the pump and a centrifugal mechanism to "spin off" solids. The service schedule for both are very long too, years worth, tiny little 1 litre sump too, I'll have to change that often I reckon. My new Flat four VW type engine doesn't have one either and relies on the oil technology and solid particles settling rather than being held in suspension. Correct oil choice is most important in that engine.
 
Honda's reputation for reliability was built in large part on those centrifugal oil filters. From the first step-through 50s, through the DOHC 450s, and still today as Tev62 says. I remember servicing tons of them, pulling off the filter or clutch covers, scraping out packed-in metallic sludge, sometimes 1/2" thick. They are remarkably effective but become less so as they fill up.
 
I don't know why you guys don't just use K&N filters. The KN204 has a convenient nut welded right on the end that you can use to really make sure it's tight when you install it. Been using them for years.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I don't know why you guys don't just use K&N filters. The KN204 has a convenient nut welded right on the end that you can use to really make sure it's tight when you install it. Been using them for years.
:rofl:
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Honda's reputation for reliability was built in large part on those centrifugal oil filters. From the first step-through 50s, through the DOHC 450s, and still today as Tev62 says. I remember servicing tons of them, pulling off the filter or clutch covers, scraping out packed-in metallic sludge, sometimes 1/2" thick. They are remarkably effective but become less so as they fill up.
I've been under the impression that fine oil filtration is not necessary if the engine has non-plain bearing crankshaft journals (?). With ball or roller bearings handling the heavy loads there is not the dependence on having a fine high pressure layer of oil between surfaces to discourage metal-on-metal contact as with plain bearings. True ?
My old CB350 was like that and my XS650 is like that. The XS650 OHC runs on ball bearings, I can't remember what kind of cam bearings are on the CB350.
 
Hey Gone, I like that nut on the K&N. I use a socket with a big breaker bar and torque the snot out of it. No leaks yet ;)
 
furious_blue_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Honda's reputation for reliability was built in large part on those centrifugal oil filters. From the first step-through 50s, through the DOHC 450s, and still today as Tev62 says. I remember servicing tons of them, pulling off the filter or clutch covers, scraping out packed-in metallic sludge, sometimes 1/2" thick. They are remarkably effective but become less so as they fill up.
I've been under the impression that fine oil filtration is not necessary if the engine has non-plain bearing crankshaft journals (?). With ball or roller bearings handling the heavy loads there is not the dependence on having a fine high pressure layer of oil between surfaces to discourage metal-on-metal contact as with plain bearings. True ?
My old CB350 was like that and my XS650 is like that. The XS650 OHC runs on ball bearings, I can't remember what kind of cam bearings are on the CB350.

I've been under the impression that fine oil filtration is not necessary if the engine has non-plain bearing crankshaft journals (?). With ball or roller bearings handling the heavy loads there is not the dependence on having a fine high pressure layer of oil between surfaces to discourage metal-on-metal contact as with plain bearings. True ?
My old CB350 was like that and my XS650 is like that. The XS650 OHC runs on ball bearings, I can't remember what kind of cam bearings are on the CB350. Yes, true. The centrifugal oil filters are used only on Hondas with ball and roller bearing bearing cranks, up to the '76 CB500T. They never used them on plain-bearing cranks. Like all plain-bearing cranks, old British bikes had sludge traps in their crankshafts. Without an actual paper filter, their cranks needed to be taken out, the grub screws un-pinned and removed, cleaned out and re-staked as part of their long term maintenance schedule.
 
I've never used anything but OEM filters on any of my bikes except for the dirt bikes where I'd change them every 10 hours so it doesn't really matter that much, but I'll admit I got a HIFLO for the last oil change on the CB because the dealer didn't have one in stock, was expecting delivery time of 45 days and I just wouldn't wait. Filter itself seemed solid, yes just like the guy in the video above the seal was pre-greased, went in no fuss, bike seems to be running just fine, I don't really know what to look for that would be different
c1e58e3574db0bc5688ef6f54593880b.png


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Oh, I thought K$N's 17mm nut on the filter was a security measure so no one could steal the filter. You tighten the nut until the the spot welds give way and the 17mm nut is gone.

Now let's see someone steal that filter!
 
Houtman_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Hey Gone, I like that nut on the K&N. I use a socket with a big breaker bar and torque the snot out of it. No leaks yet ;)
You guy's are all NUTS !
You guy's are all NUTS !
What's the emoji for a rimshot?
 
Back
Top