Oil change - filter differences.

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Did first oil change today at 501 miles.
I've been using Hi Flo filters on many bikes with no problems but today for some reason I put the new and old filters side by side and noticed a difference in the centre hole (see pictures) The removed Honda filter looks like its capped off in the centre and the Hi Flo is open.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

I checked the filter and its the correct one so used the filter and all seems well so far.

 
The Honda filter, like most OEM filters, has a by-pass valve in it for colder temps. When it's cold outside and the oil is so thick it will not flow through the paper, it allows the oil to push a spring controlled valve, and bypass the paper filtration. The paper could be torn from the excessive pressure of thick, cold oil.

In the CB1100, there are 2 separate chambers. One sends oil to the filter, the other to the cooling passages around the spark plugs.

I don't know if that other filter has a bypass valve in it.
 
pd is correct !!

I use OEM and do not have to bother comparing, compromising or running into any kind of problem.

Generally speaking:
some motorized vehicles may experience an engine knock noise when using aftermarket oil filters.
Aftermarket oil filters may be constructed differently and use different materials than genuine oil filters. This may change the specifications of the oil filter leading to pressure variations within the engine causing engine knocking noise......
No oil = no berings, no coolant = no pistons

Presently have 6 OEM in stock.
:biker:
 
Interesting. I've never seen a hole in the centerpiece before in any canister oil filter.

Some new feature in the 21st century canister oil filter?
 
Hey Forum riders, I just got in the mail today an oil filter I ordered from Great Britain. A Jaso, JF204. Please tell me it is okay and up to par for use in our CB1100's. The 204 matches, and it has the 17mm spanner Hex nut on top for easy removal. (I never use the nut to tighten any oil filter!)
It says it is a racing oil filter, and it cost me $13.58 USD with FREE shipping to Texas!
GoldOxide_imp said:
Interesting. I've never seen a hole in the centerpiece before in any canister oil filter.

Some new feature in the 21st century canister oil filter?
I have seen it in other oil filters for some time. I do not think it is exclusive to Honda OEM oil filters.
 
Michael, your call entirely, but the K&N oil filter also has the hex nut welded to the top for easy removal. On this forum alone, 4 or 5 cases of the weld failing and the filter leaking have been reported. Luckily, no one has been hurt. I witnessed one of the incidents and it resulted in oil all over the engine and exhaust. While my suspicion is that K&N got one dodgy batch, I will never use another one; nor will I use any other filter with an extraneous nut welded to it—for example, the HiFlo racing filter.
 
I have the feeling the failures on the K&N and Hi-Flo filters with the 17mm nut spot-welded to the case are due to overtightening, especially with air or electric impact guns.

Here's a pic inside a Hi-Flo filter. Filter cartridge is actually smaller than the ones from the original CB750. Not much real change in 50+ years, but the spin-on filters cost more than twice as much, and there's such a waste of materials.

 
Thread starter
My Hi flo filter is not the racing type with the nut its exactly like the oem filter except for the hole in the inside.
The only reason I bought it is my local Honda dealer has closed and hi flo is all I could find for this oil change and having used them for years on big Yamaha's with no problems I thought it would be ok. In fact my local Yamaha dealer only sells Hi Flo filters.
Now I have more time I can search for a Honda oem filter outlet for next oil change.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Michael, your call entirely, but the K&N oil filter also has the hex nut welded to the top for easy removal. On this forum alone, 4 or 5 cases of the weld failing and the filter leaking have been reported. Luckily, no one has been hurt. I witnessed one of the incidents and it resulted in oil all over the engine and exhaust. While my suspicion is that K&N got one dodgy batch, I will never use another one; nor will I use any other filter with an extraneous nut welded to it—for example, the HiFlo racing filter.
I'm with pekingduck. You do wonder if those that have experienced the failure used the hex nut on top to tighten the filter and did so with too much force thereby creating the damage themselves. It does expressly say on the K&N filter not to use it to tighten the filter. Hand force is all that is ever required for an oil filter or sometimes a light touch with the proper tool if it is difficult to get the hand in.
 
I seem to recall there was a recall of a batch or batch of K&N filters suggesting a manufacturing defect.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I have the feeling the failures on the K&N and Hi-Flo filters with the 17mm nut spot-welded to the case are due to overtightening, especially with air or electric impact guns.

Here's a pic inside a Hi-Flo filter. Filter cartridge is actually smaller than the ones from the original CB750. Not much real change in 50+ years, but the spin-on filters cost more than twice as much, and there's such a waste of materials.
Yeah, I hear ya PKD. The days of engineered waste might be reversing finally. Future e-motorcyclers will be asking, " ... what is oil filter? What was dumped into landfill? What is landfill waste? ... "
 
Houtman_imp said:
Very simple :stick to OEM Honda filters and do not worry !!!
This
2c7a9bc2a4686d6c2ae3ce4b2805b359.png

I have 89,000 miles on my bike. Always used Honda filters and Honda 10/40 dino oil. Never had a problem....

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
I have the feeling the failures on the K&N and Hi-Flo filters with the 17mm nut spot-welded to the case are due to overtightening, especially with air or electric impact guns.

Here's a pic inside a Hi-Flo filter. Filter cartridge is actually smaller than the ones from the original CB750. Not much real change in 50+ years, but the spin-on filters cost more than twice as much, and there's such a waste of materials.
Yeah, I hear ya PKD. The days of engineered waste might be reversing finally. Future e-motorcyclers will be asking, " ... what is oil filter? What was dumped into landfill? What is landfill waste? ... "
Not so far fetched !
My nephew had a roommate that borrowed a car. She had to call her mother from a gas station because the car's fuel warning came on and she did not know how to put gas in the car and needed to be talked through it. She only knew about charging plug in electric cars.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
I have the feeling the failures on the K&N and Hi-Flo filters with the 17mm nut spot-welded to the case are due to overtightening, especially with air or electric impact guns.

Here's a pic inside a Hi-Flo filter. Filter cartridge is actually smaller than the ones from the original CB750. Not much real change in 50+ years, but the spin-on filters cost more than twice as much, and there's such a waste of materials.
Yeah, I hear ya PKD. The days of engineered waste might be reversing finally. Future e-motorcyclers will be asking, " ... what is oil filter? What was dumped into landfill? What is landfill waste? ... "
Not so far fetched !
My nephew had a roommate that borrowed a car. She had to call her mother from a gas station because the car's fuel warning came on and she did not know how to put gas in the car and needed to be talked through it. She only knew about charging plug in electric cars.
Not so far fetched !
My nephew had a roommate that borrowed a car. She had to call her mother from a gas station because the car's fuel warning came on and she did not know how to put gas in the car and needed to be talked through it. She only knew about charging plug in electric cars.
Crikey.

Some people say young generation folks are quite smart. Hmm. Maybe as smart as quickly navigating an app, or drafting up something pretty on the iMac. But I find many of these same folks don't comprehend the complexity of the underlying technology, or that it even exists. "It's magic".

Arguably they don't have too. Hmmm. Dunno, where am I going with this? Maybe some survival skills?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
I have the feeling the failures on the K&N and Hi-Flo filters with the 17mm nut spot-welded to the case are due to overtightening, especially with air or electric impact guns.

Here's a pic inside a Hi-Flo filter. Filter cartridge is actually smaller than the ones from the original CB750. Not much real change in 50+ years, but the spin-on filters cost more than twice as much, and there's such a waste of materials.
Yeah, I hear ya PKD. The days of engineered waste might be reversing finally. Future e-motorcyclers will be asking, " ... what is oil filter? What was dumped into landfill? What is landfill waste? ... "
Not so far fetched !
My nephew had a roommate that borrowed a car. She had to call her mother from a gas station because the car's fuel warning came on and she did not know how to put gas in the car and needed to be talked through it. She only knew about charging plug in electric cars.
Not so far fetched !
My nephew had a roommate that borrowed a car. She had to call her mother from a gas station because the car's fuel warning came on and she did not know how to put gas in the car and needed to be talked through it. She only knew about charging plug in electric cars.
Crikey.

Some people say young generation folks are quite smart. Hmm. Maybe as smart as quickly navigating an app, or drafting up something pretty on the iMac. But I find many of these same folks don't comprehend the complexity of the underlying technology, or that it even exists. "It's magic".

Arguably they don't have too. Hmmm. Dunno, where am I going with this? Maybe some survival skills?
I totally hear you !
A little while back I had a discussion with a young guy who was disparaging how 'old people' don't understand new things. I said to him that just because you've learned how to use a smart phone, that doesn't necessarily make you so 'advanced', the phone was designed to seem like a simple device. He jokingly retorted: 'what ? you don't know how to use a smart phone ?'
I said to him, tell you what, I'll give you all the hardware for a phone and all you have to do is write the frequency-hopping algorithms that both the sender and receiver are required to run in order to make cell phone transmission work.
uh huh....
 
I agree it’s a generational thing but I was married, 30 years ago, to a very bright gal with a prestigious degree in mechanical engineering who was employed by a large US defense contractor and who developed automated guidance systems for F16 ordinance.

One day we got a flat tire in the car. I got the jack out of the trunk and proceeded to lift the car so I could remove the wheel and mount the spare. She got out of the car, inspected my work, and began to analyze exactly where to place the jack to ensure it would actually lift the car (uh, honey, there are marks under the car). It was infuriating! So, very smart lady but sometimes I questioned her common sense and tendency for paralysis by analysis.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I agree it’s a generational thing but I was married, 30 years ago, to a very bright gal with a prestigious degree in mechanical engineering who was employed by a large US defense contractor and who developed automated guidance systems for F16 ordinance.

One day we got a flat tire in the car. I got the jack out of the trunk and proceeded to lift the car so I could remove the wheel and mount the spare. She got out of the car, inspected my work, and began to analyze exactly where to place the jack to ensure it would actually lift the car (uh, honey, there are marks under the car). It was infuriating! So, very smart lady but sometimes I questioned her common sense and tendency for paralysis by analysis.
Good thing you got started on it first !
Imagine the pain if the theoretically 'perfect balance point' happened to not be able to take the load for a lack of structural support.. major OOOPS ! hah !
 
Back
Top