Oil change before/after winter?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm almost due for my 2nd oil change( coming up on 4500 miles).
If I'm only going to put a few more hundred miles on it before next season.....it will mostly sit in my cold garage for next 3 or 4 months. would you change the oil now or just wait for next spring/season?

I have Honda 10/30 full synthetic, so it could probably go to 5500 miles anyway....
 
Thread starter
So change it is, thanks.
--------------------------------------------------
ENGINE OIL
Change the engine oil.
Even if the oil is not due for a change, combustion byproducts produce acids in the oil that can corrode engine parts. Changing the oil will help prevent corrosion from occurring during storage.
 
Excellent question...I've been meaning to post the same thing.

Aside from the oil issue, I've always thought that leaving the battery on the bike (connected to a Tender full-time) is perfectly fine. I've usually been able to take a ride on the occasional nice days from December through February, and the other 9 months are basically fair-game riding season. For that reason, I'm really reluctant to take the battery out. From what I understand, cold weather will not have negative effects on a battery IF it remains fully-charged.
 
Thread starter
meowguys link to Honda pdf mentioned the battery tender too.
Amazon.com

I think it's been hotly talked about before on whether its best to keep battery in bike or out.
I live in same area as you and would like to think I can go for a ride every few weeks even over winter, so would rather keep battery in too.
 
I also change my oil after the winter , first week in April is changing oil and filter for my bikes . I do ride during the winter , just not as often as in other times.
 
Winters in my area are 6 months long, so I always remove the battery and place it on a shelf in a heated basement. I have never owned a battery tender. I owned a Goldwing for 9 years and never replaced the battery. My VW Rabbit convertible battery lasted longer than that.

The batteries in cars that I drove in the winter seldom lasted more than 5 years even though they were always parked in the garage at night. So if you are only going to ride once or twice in the winter, I would remove the battery. You can put it back for that unexpected winter ride in less than 10 minutes.
 
Back
Top