Oil Analysis Results

Scotty_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I thought I'd share a recent Blackstone report sheet. Maybe others would like to do the same on this thread.
I wanted to know how my oil change interval was looking and, while I've read other analysis reports validating the high quality of the motorcycle-specific Mobil 4T, I wanted to see how it was doing in my 4 cylinder beast. Read the report's comments, including the possible longer internal. This oil has been in there for about a year (3,700mi.) and the bike has seen some very high ambient temperatures (105-110F) this summer.
 
Thanks Scotty. Am I correct in assuming that most of the contaminants measured are from bearing material? How much did this analysis cost? Are you planning to perform another analysis in the future?
 
Dang this is interesting. I want to do this on my next oil change. I'm interested because I go out of my way to use the highest quality oil I can find and I see higher revs more often.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
Thanks Scotty. Am I correct in assuming that most of the contaminants measured are from bearing material? How much did this analysis cost? Are you planning to perform another analysis in the future?
Hi, well there's wear material and there's contaminants. Fuel and dirt are the usual contaminants. You can look at those in two places: silicone (dirt) and fuel %.

If silicone is high the first place is to look is the air filtration and then intake leaks.
Wear metals on this sample look really good. Tin is the first layer of your crank bearings, so they're looking good. Alu and iron levels are below average, and as they mentioned, this is still a new engine in terms of wear in.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Dang this is interesting. I want to do this on my next oil change. I'm interested because I go out of my way to use the highest quality oil I can find and I see higher revs more often.
Yes, Mr. P don't forget that it has 6 gears. Give the poor thing a break!
 
Thread starter
I'm a huge fan of Blackstone analysis. How did I get going on this? My father sends in a sample each oil change for his airplane engine (Continental IO470N), and has for a very long time. A number of years ago the wear trend spiked in iron, and they brought it to his attention. Iron is a crankshaft thing, often, so an astute mechanic pulled off a couple jugs and discovered a crank counterbalancer that was slowly working on an escape plan. It would have never been identified otherwise as it was the retaining disc on the pin that secures it to the crankshaft, behind a circlip! So, a history of samples for a given engine can be the true value.
For us, the money spent can also be saved with intelligent and scientific advice on oil change intervals. Frequent oil changes also introduce unwanted variables into engine life, and I've heard the same regarding air filtration. Simply removing and replacing an air filter can unknowingly introduce/release more particulate than would have ever been ingested leaving it alone (until necessary). Something to think about huh?
I'm also an 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser nut. I'm on my fifth. They have one, and only one, Achilles heel: the original head gasket. It was a materials construction thing combined with a very long iron straight 6 block bolted to a relatively high performance, long aluminum head. Anyway, an oil analysis is the smartest repurchase inspection on any used vehicle IMO. Particularly if it's known to have HG issues. Potassium and other coolant indicators are readily picked up, even if it's weeping very slightly. So when I buy an 80 Series I know exactly where I stand on how soon I'll being doing a top end!
 
rickcb_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Dang this is interesting. I want to do this on my next oil change. I'm interested because I go out of my way to use the highest quality oil I can find and I see higher revs more often.
Yes, Mr. P don't forget that it has 6 gears. Give the poor thing a break!
Yes, Mr. P don't forget that it has 6 gears. Give the poor thing a break!
I use 6th gear all the time! Just not when I need powah.
 
Once I put my reading glasses on and I found out that it says "Boron" and not "Bourbon", I lost interest in the whole report.
 
MTC, “Whiskey, thins down the mix. Get another 50rpms”
 
What accounts for the elevated boron and magnesium numbers? Are those jus additives in the particular brand of oil?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Once I put my reading glasses on and I found out that it says "Boron" and not "Bourbon", I lost interest in the whole report.
:rofl:
:beerchug:
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
What accounts for the elevated boron and magnesium numbers? Are those jus additives in the particular brand of oil?
Oil package. You know how people like zinc. lol
 
Hello Gentlemen. I am interested in having an oil analysis performed. I'll wait until I perform my next oil change, so this won't be happening in the immediate future. I would like to start with my 1998 VFR800 that has almost 115,000 miles now (it still runs almost as good as new). My concern is how to read the results of the test. How do I know if the metallic contaminants are coming from the engine (crankshaft, camshaft, cylinders, pistons, rings, crankshaft bearings, valves, valve guides), or from the clutch and transmission?
 
Dave_imp said:
Hello Gentlemen. I am interested in having an oil analysis performed. I'll wait until I perform my next oil change, so this won't be happening in the immediate future. I would like to start with my 1998 VFR800 that has almost 115,000 miles now (it still runs almost as good as new). My concern is how to read the results of the test. How do I know if the metallic contaminants are coming from the engine (crankshaft, camshaft, cylinders, pistons, rings, crankshaft bearings, valves, valve guides), or from the clutch and transmission?
Good question Dave.

For most Japanese bikes, most would say both. However, that probably doesn't help you.
 
Two decades ago, we had a long time car customer/chemist?, who always took midstream oil samples every oil change/5-6K kms, sent it to his/company lab, added his own chemicals to new oil...and that was about it..never complaint about anything in related subject..
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
Hello Gentlemen. I am interested in having an oil analysis performed. I'll wait until I perform my next oil change, so this won't be happening in the immediate future. I would like to start with my 1998 VFR800 that has almost 115,000 miles now (it still runs almost as good as new). My concern is how to read the results of the test. How do I know if the metallic contaminants are coming from the engine (crankshaft, camshaft, cylinders, pistons, rings, crankshaft bearings, valves, valve guides), or from the clutch and transmission?
Dave, there are a number of companies that do oil analysis. Blackstone seems to be the best "explainer" for people like us. There are groups/forums on the web that just discuss lab results too. For example, bobistheoilguy.com has a motorcycle specific oil forum that posts and argues over results and oils, lol. But, back to the specifics of your question. If you have an unusually elevated contaminant/metal in your sample, Blackstone will often suggest possible sources. Tin, for example will usually be from crank bearings. Also, if you Google sources of material you'll find lots of possibilities, sometimes even specific to your vehicle. But I'd start with Blackstone's website and monthly newsletters - good stuff!
 
Back
Top