Ohlins

darmahman_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just received and installed a set of Ohlins today. Nice looking set of shocks. Took em on a short ride over the roughest road in Fort Collins. I could immediately feel the softer yet more controlled ride. The jarrings of the stock shock are muted.(At least for my 62 year old back) Tonight I will take on a 60 mile mountain section for my in depth, seat of the pants analysis...

I only do these things to help my fellow man spend money like I do on frivolous objects.
Now, where is my Staintune I ordered 3 weeks ago???
 
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
 
Thread starter
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
 
Thread starter
I don't know. I had James set them up according to my needs. I am 200 lbs. so I doubt the spring rate is the same. James is a suspension genius. I trust him.

Just got back from a 65 mile ride in the mountains west of town. Shock is spot on. No need to adjust. Much improved, esp. around bumpy corners.
I give it a big thumbs up

oldyaler_imp said:
Is the spring rate the same as stock?
 
darmahman_imp said:
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
Not calling you a liar .. but I had "Jerry" from Ohlins try to sell me a set of HO 414's - but priced at $1530.00 .. nah, I'll pass. I want my bike to handle better - North Georgia/TN/NC mountains can really push your suspension if you're an aggressive rider (like me). Very cool shock, but not worth the price (to me) .. they have adjustable length to add 8mm or subtract 2mm (373mm/362mm) .. and have compression & rebound adjusters & a ride height adjuster.
 
darmahman_imp said:
Just received and installed a set of Ohlins today. Nice looking set of shocks. Took em on a short ride over the roughest road in Fort Collins. I could immediately feel the softer yet more controlled ride. The jarrings of the stock shock are muted.(At least for my 62 year old back) Tonight I will take on a 60 mile mountain section for my in depth, seat of the pants analysis...

I only do these things to help my fellow man spend money like I do on frivolous objects.
Now, where is my Staintune I ordered 3 weeks ago???
Sweet ! And now officially we have the first 1100 running on Ohlins, on our side of the world :)
 
Thread starter
You may be right, but it is the only shock listed when I click on our model on the web site.


Bonafide_imp said:
darmahman_imp said:
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
Not calling you a liar .. but I had "Jerry" from Ohlins try to sell me a set of HO 414's - but priced at $1530.00 .. nah, I'll pass. I want my bike to handle better - North Georgia/TN/NC mountains can really push your suspension if you're an aggressive rider (like me). Very cool shock, but not worth the price (to me) .. they have adjustable length to add 8mm or subtract 2mm (373mm/362mm) .. and have compression & rebound adjusters & a ride height adjuster.
Not calling you a liar .. but I had "Jerry" from Ohlins try to sell me a set of HO 414's - but priced at $1530.00 .. nah, I'll pass. I want my bike to handle better - North Georgia/TN/NC mountains can really push your suspension if you're an aggressive rider (like me). Very cool shock, but not worth the price (to me) .. they have adjustable length to add 8mm or subtract 2mm (373mm/362mm) .. and have compression & rebound adjusters & a ride height adjuster.
 
Started browsing around after I read this thread and noticed that Indy Superbikes carries them plus Phat Performance Parts (for you west coast riders). I've ordered stuff from Phat in my cruiser days so they're legit.

Cost online shows $975.95, still not much cheaper. They note two model numbers (same as what shows up on the Ohlins site) HO-010 and HO-011. I have no idea what the difference is between them.

From the Phat listing looks like that HO-414 is for the CB1300 a whole 'nother beast.

I was browsing around and found Ikon has a shock for the CB1100 (sometimes you have to look for the 2010-11 model years for the European or Australian models which came out earlier than our US model). Think that was about $500 or so.

Will keep watching to see what HyperPro, Wilbers, Works Performance, etc. come up with. Wish Ricor would make a set along with Intiminators for the forks. Think I'll just ask them about it.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
I weigh 85 kilos and have found the std suspension on the CB very good, comfortable and controlled. On my last few modern bikes Buell XB12, Triumph Street Triple and Honda CB 1300 the suspension got better after the bike had done 10000 Kms plus. So I would advise against jumping in and changing the shocks until the bike has a few Kms on it, that is unless you have a lot of weight on board or are pushing the bike to its limits.
 
OZZY_imp said:
darmahman_imp said:
Personally Ozzie, I have never found a Japanese shock on a non racing bike to be worth a crap. First off they are built to a price point and second, my fat ass is not taken into account when they are built. ( I don't expect it)
It is easy to determine if a shock will work for you just by pushing it fairly hard around a few good bumpy turns. If it is controlled and the pucker factor stays low, then it is probably OK . I found a lot of unwanted movement when I did test the stockers and decided I wanted a good shock for this great bike. Around the same curves with the Ohlins produces no unwanted movement, at least at the speeds I am comfortable with.
Ok for me, agree they are all built to a price point and I guess at the end of the day the shocks were designed for little Japs not fat ass (as you say) Americans or Aussies!

At some point i'll probably update the shocks but at this point I am pretty happy with the stockers. Generally the Honda feels pretty planted on bumpy corners especially compared to the Street Triple, the weight helps I am sure as do the 18 inch wheels.
I'm truly surprised by that statement. Do you still have your Street Triple? Of all of the "modern standards" that one seems to be the pick of the litter.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I asked Superplush about these Ohlins, piggy-back style,
http://www.samurider.com/?p=3453/#itemImage
Sean said they can be made, 1500 for a set.
Check out that swing-arm, nice.
Sean just emailed, mine will be here Tuesday.
Those look like the piggy-back Ohlins that are on the CB1100 that Freddie Spencer is riding in the French video someone posted here a while back.

Chip
Those look like the piggy-back Ohlins that are on the CB1100 that Freddie Spencer is riding in the French video someone posted here a while back.

Chip
Those are the piggy-back shocks Superplush said are CB1300's with 1100 ends. They not listed yet but can be put together, drop Sean an e-mail.
You guys should get a group buy together. I was in on a few over on ADVrider for my BMW.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...05&page=47
I like that video.

I'd be interested in this.
 
Joola_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I asked Superplush about these Ohlins, piggy-back style,
http://www.samurider.com/?p=3453/#itemImage
Sean said they can be made, 1500 for a set.
Check out that swing-arm, nice.
Sean just emailed, mine will be here Tuesday.
Those look like the piggy-back Ohlins that are on the CB1100 that Freddie Spencer is riding in the French video someone posted here a while back.

Chip
Those look like the piggy-back Ohlins that are on the CB1100 that Freddie Spencer is riding in the French video someone posted here a while back.

Chip
Those are the piggy-back shocks Superplush said are CB1300's with 1100 ends. They not listed yet but can be put together, drop Sean an e-mail.
You guys should get a group buy together. I was in on a few over on ADVrider for my BMW.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...05&page=47
I like that video.

I'd be interested in this.

I'd be interested in this. Me, too!

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Thread starter
I spoke with James at Superplush about the front end. He talked like he would need to do some research and maybe a doner bike to develop.
Racetech might be quicker. it would probably involve springs and Gold cartridge emulators for starters.
 
darmahman_imp said:
I spoke with James at Superplush about the front end. He talked like he would need to do some research and maybe a doner bike to develop.
Racetech might be quicker. it would probably involve springs and Gold cartridge emulators for starters.
I had shot Racetech and Ricor the same questions if they had applications for our bike, no responses so far.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Happy to report the Ohlin’s are installed. Last night I figured out this was my 7th suspension set-up from them, first twin shock and first for the street, all dirt and track before. The stockers must not do too much because this is by far the biggest change I’ve felt right out of the box, as far as bumps go. Haven’t done anything at speed yet, my own nasty road felt so much better, I was really surprised. Dman hit it by saying “The jarrings of the stock shock are muted”. I’ll say the ride before felt like the rear tire had an extra 20lbs of air in it you can feel the change immediately.
I agree that 10% of the bike cost is a lot of money to throw at it, but I can say the ride has improved at least 75% comfort wise on the slow bumpy stuff under 45mph. Just my warped reasoning for spending, but this one IS worth it.
On the darker, side I snapped off one lower shockbolt and threw out my torque wrench. I have a 3/8” digital coming good from 2-37lbs perfect for 15-25lbs mid-range stuff. Drain plugs, shock mounts, all the fragile stuff.
Besides that the install was simple, had to take the muffler off, but nothing to it.

Ohlin shocks = 2 Thumbs Up
Ack,

Would you please post a side photo of your CB11 with your piggyback Ohlin's installed. I'd really like to see it before I order. Did you get yellow or black springs? Maybe a close up shot as well. I think if I'm gonna spend all that money I'll go all the way and get the piggyback version as well. Will I be able to ride like Freddie Spencer then???

Chip
 
Ohlins is awesome, I have one on my FZ8, but the issue is I would like to retain the stepped preload adjuster to set it for two-up more quickly. Racetech can sometimes rebuild stock shocks so I think I shall call them to find out about this option.
 
AzBob_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
I think the HyperPro shocks are twice the money of the basic Ohlins HOs, and probably for good reason.

I think you are 100% right, the HypePros show up in Honda's catalog and should definitely fit.

I asked Takashi about both shocks. His reply: "Unfortunately, I can not ship the suspensions if there is gas inside of the suspension. It is the EMS international regulation."
That doesn't sound right. The gas is nitrogen. The same stuff 78% of the air we breathe is composed of.
That doesn't sound right. The gas is nitrogen. The same stuff 78% of the air we breathe is composed of.
I imagine it's because the gas is pressurized.
 
Bonafide_imp said:
darmahman_imp said:
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
Adj. for preload, comp. and rebound. Same length. I bought from James @ super plush suspensions in CA. They were ~ $1130 inc. shipping. Here is a link to the desc. of the shock:
http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Street-Performance-Line/Shock-absorbers/

This is the only shock available from Ohlins. I asked to have a black spring instead of the traditional yellow.

Guth_imp said:
Just a few questions:
What adjustments other than preload do these allow for?
Length the same as stock?
Where puchased/cost?
Not calling you a liar .. but I had "Jerry" from Ohlins try to sell me a set of HO 414's - but priced at $1530.00 .. nah, I'll pass. I want my bike to handle better - North Georgia/TN/NC mountains can really push your suspension if you're an aggressive rider (like me). Very cool shock, but not worth the price (to me) .. they have adjustable length to add 8mm or subtract 2mm (373mm/362mm) .. and have compression & rebound adjusters & a ride height adjuster.
Not calling you a liar .. but I had "Jerry" from Ohlins try to sell me a set of HO 414's - but priced at $1530.00 .. nah, I'll pass. I want my bike to handle better - North Georgia/TN/NC mountains can really push your suspension if you're an aggressive rider (like me). Very cool shock, but not worth the price (to me) .. they have adjustable length to add 8mm or subtract 2mm (373mm/362mm) .. and have compression & rebound adjusters & a ride height adjuster. Jerry is cool. I've dealt with him before. Ohlins does in fact offer more than one type of shock for the CB1100, we can get the $1500 version with the piggyback reservoir, too; in fact I believe one of our members installed them on his bike.

For most riders the top-of-the-line isn't going to offer anything that we can use, though. $1100 is about right for that modification. The bike certainly can benefit from better suspension but somehow I've come to terms with mine as it is.
kevbroce_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
I think the HyperPro shocks are twice the money of the basic Ohlins HOs, and probably for good reason.

I think you are 100% right, the HypePros show up in Honda's catalog and should definitely fit.

I asked Takashi about both shocks. His reply: "Unfortunately, I can not ship the suspensions if there is gas inside of the suspension. It is the EMS international regulation."
That doesn't sound right. The gas is nitrogen. The same stuff 78% of the air we breathe is composed of.
That doesn't sound right. The gas is nitrogen. The same stuff 78% of the air we breathe is composed of.
I imagine it's because the gas is pressurized.
That doesn't sound right. The gas is nitrogen. The same stuff 78% of the air we breathe is composed of.
I imagine it's because the gas is pressurized. Yes, of course. Takashi is right. Shipping compressed gases on airplanes is regulated, he probably doesn't want to deal with it. But the gas can be released and the shock recharged by any qualified technician.
lackskill_imp said:
xpacpal1x_imp said:
So, is there a verdict on the stock CB1100 front shocks? Rider weight (me) is 193lbs, plus gear, if that matters. I have Ohlins HO-010 rear shocks on order...but waiting extra long for the chrome springs to arrive from Europe...all this time is making me think ahead to the eventuality that I will soon be looking to improve the front shocks. Has anyone modified the CB1100 front shocks? If so, what aftermarket parts did you use? I'm planning on self-installing the rear shocks...modifications to the front appear more complex...please advise on what's involved to modify front shocks...I am not a motorcycle expert.
I believe the front suspension really only consists of a couple springs, some oil, and some sort of diaphragm that controls the flow of the oil. I've seen suggestions of changing the weight of the oil in the front shock on other bikes, and there were also diaphragms that change the dynamics of the fluid control as well.

I'm sure someone with actual knowledge will come along soon.
That would be an orifice. A diaphragm is for birth control.
 
Ohlins installed yesterday. I simply can't imagine doing it without removing the exhaust. Also, the stock shocks, particularly the bottom, take some back and forth motion to get them removed. Finally, I used a few careful rubber mallet taps to get the new ones on. Otherwise, it was easy and without incident.

On reviewing the results, I seem to notice an increment of additional stability and less chatter from the rear. In fact, as some have suggested, putting better shocks on the rear seems to highten the sensation of chatter coming from the front shocks. I'd say the improvement is incremental, just like each of my other performance-oriented modifications (Staintune, Superbrace, Powercommander, Type II bars) and I suppose these all add up to produce a material improvement in performance and responsiveness. It would be interesting to compare my bike as modified to a bone stock model.

I put a lot of miles on the bike yesterday, most of it away from twisty canyon roads, so my most defining feeling yesterday was fatigue rather than amazement at the new ride provided by the Ohlins. I probably should have stayed in the canyons and put more twisty miles on the Ohlins...then I'd have a more definitive view of their performance. However, without a doubt, the Ohlins with chrome springs look nice and complement the original stock look.

Unfortunately, I didn't ride immediately prior to swapping out the shocks and then go ride again to get the best A/B comparison. While swapping out the shocks, I also tightened my chain for the first time (I'm at something like 5,500-6,000 miles)...chain measured right at 1.4 inches and it required only 1/2 turn of the adjuster screws (a complete turn was too much and I had to back off 1/2 turn). So, my first ride with the Ohlins was also done with a nice tight chain.

As you may know, this model of Ohlin doesn't allow adjustment for compression and I suspect I might have been happier with a more adjustable shock. I am concerned that the white rubber grommet reaches to within one inch of the bottom of the shock...I wonder if this means the shock is too close to bottoming out. Please advise if you have any opinion on this.
 
Back
Top