Ohlins Piggy-backs Installed

Mikey350D_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Mods almost complete:
-CB500f mirrors (These are great!)
-Staintune slip-on
-Renthal low bars
-License plate bracket mod
-Ohlins piggybacks: had to modify grab rails so they would fit.

 
Mikey,

That looks great. A couple questions.

1. What did you have to do to the grab rails to clear the shocks?
2. Did those shocks need to have their stroke shortened?
3. Who built them for you and how much did they cost?

Great looking mods. Well done.

Chip
 
The shocks look very nice. Being Ohlins, I'm assuming you spent $6,4899.99 on them. Per side.

Yamaha's new Bolt blobbler comes with piggyback shocks if you order the upgrade version. I wonder if they'd fit...
 
Mikey350D_imp said:
Mods almost complete:
-CB500f mirrors (These are great!)
-Staintune slip-on
-Renthal low bars
-License plate bracket mod
-Ohlins piggybacks: had to modify grab rails so they would fit.



It sure does look nice!! :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Actually they were $1400ish.
I looked at several other brands, but decided to go with Ohlins quality.
Shocks were built by Pro Pilot (NJ)
I was VERY Very happy with their service.
I think they had to combine parts to create these shocks.
Price was $1440.
I have the lower clevis screwed all the way in,so they are OK but almost
too long.
The lower bushing is larger (16mm) than top, So Pro Pilot had to send me new lower bushings.
Drive side fit with no problems, but I did not like grab-rail bolt clearance, so I replaced it with normal socket head bolt.
(Annodized gold bolts on order)
The brake side was a clearance problem.
I had to carve out a half-moon underneath the forward grab-rail bolt.
Just used my Dewalt grinder and it looks OK from side/above.
(Can see if you look closely at photo)
For both rails I moved then in, up and back be doing the following:
-Wallered the bolt holes using mill end bit. This moved rails up and back 1/4"
-Ground down the bolt hole shoulder where rail mates to frame tabs.
This move rail in
Lessons learned:
I should have sent vendor more measurements: Shock length and stud diameters, But Pro Pilot was great about providing correct parts.
They are still too stiff, as I don't have sag dialed in yet.
Will do ride report when I get sag, Comp and rebound dialed in.
I really didn't need all the bells and whistles (rebound), But I really like the piggy-back look.
The Spaceman_imp said:
The shocks look very nice. Being Ohlins, I'm assuming you spent $6,4899.99 on them. Per side.

Yamaha's new Bolt blobbler comes with piggyback shocks if you order the upgrade version. I wonder if they'd fit...

If the length is the same, the most you would have to do is press in new bushings.
The only clearance problems with the Ohlins is the compression knob, on top of external reservoir.
Also the back end now feels a tiny bit higher, but this may be because I don't have correct sag yet: free sag is currently 6.3mm, and this feels much too stiff.
 
Nice! Jim from Pro Pilot is very knowledgable and sharp with the ohlins stuff... Those Piggybacks you have are HO-414 with lower bushings from HO-010... I would just probably take of the grab rails.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The shocks look very nice. Being Ohlins, I'm assuming you spent $6,4899.99 on them. Per side.

Yamaha's new Bolt blobbler comes with piggyback shocks if you order the upgrade version. I wonder if they'd fit...
With only about 3" of travel... doubt it.
 
Thread starter
Bad News:@
I started to get a very slight rub on the brake side.
Not enough clearance between comp knob and grab rail.
Every looks OK when I'm off the bike, but under load...
So I'm going to play if safe and abandon stock grab rails,
get some new rear lights and fab new rails.
 
jodyz_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
The shocks look very nice. Being Ohlins, I'm assuming you spent $6,4899.99 on them. Per side.

Yamaha's new Bolt blobbler comes with piggyback shocks if you order the upgrade version. I wonder if they'd fit...
With only about 3" of travel... doubt it.
Just kiddin... If I read one more Sportster/Bolt "comparo" article, I'm going to puke!
 
Mikey350D_imp said:
Bad News:@
I started to get a very slight rub on the brake side.
Not enough clearance between comp knob and grab rail.
Every looks OK when I'm off the bike, but under load...
So I'm going to play if safe and abandon stock grab rails,
get some new rear lights and fab new rails.
the connections of the rear turn signals are underneath the tray compartment, Just remove that and the connections are Orange and Sky Blue for the turn signals.. Once you have the wires disconected you can just remove the grab rails with a number 6 allen wrench. Now you could still use the stock turn signals by mounting them on the rear bolt hole for where the grab rail connection use to be...... As far as grab rails go you can use the Active Grab Rail which sit higher than our stock ones. オートバイカスタムパーツの総合メーカー アクティブ

just a tip...
 
Thread starter
lola_imp said:
Mikey350D_imp said:
Bad News:@
I started to get a very slight rub on the brake side.
Not enough clearance between comp knob and grab rail.
Every looks OK when I'm off the bike, but under load...
So I'm going to play if safe and abandon stock grab rails,
get some new rear lights and fab new rails.
the connections of the rear turn signals are underneath the tray compartment, Just remove that and the connections are Orange and Sky Blue for the turn signals.. Once you have the wires disconected you can just remove the grab rails with a number 6 allen wrench. Now you could still use the stock turn signals by mounting them on the rear bolt hole for where the grab rail connection use to be...... As far as grab rails go you can use the Active Grab Rail which sit higher than our stock ones. オートバイカスタムパーツの総合メーカー アクティブ

just a tip...
the connections of the rear turn signals are underneath the tray compartment, Just remove that and the connections are Orange and Sky Blue for the turn signals.. Once you have the wires disconected you can just remove the grab rails with a number 6 allen wrench. Now you could still use the stock turn signals by mounting them on the rear bolt hole for where the grab rail connection use to be...... As far as grab rails go you can use the Active Grab Rail which sit higher than our stock ones. オートバイカスタムパーツの総合メーカー アクティブ

just a tip...
Thanks or the tip. I am also going to experiment with some aluminum flat or angle stock, to see how it looks. But the moral of the story is you'll need different grab rails (or none) with piggybacks
 
I'm surprised about the install trouble. On the web I've seen them on our bikes. With Hyperpro having a working set, you would think they would have something too?
 
Back
Top