Oh No, not another Power Box thread!

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I haven’t done much farkling on my CB1100 this year, spending most of my time and money on a NC700X I purchased back in January. With 30 plus modifications so far, the bike is about done.

73f859b56b5860edb6b7af817fe80378.jpg


I wanted to freshen up my CB1100. I had installed a SP Tadao Twin Tail exhaust on the NC, so I thought I’d try their “Power Box” megaphone exhaust on the CB. It’s about 6” shorter and several pounds lighter than the Staintune exhaust I’ve been running. (See the For Sale section if you are interested in my Staintune.)

529e8c009ce1ccfda734241e8bdd4d7c.jpg


The SP Tadao’s exhaust note is nearly identical to the Staintune both in volume and sound quality. I think the smaller size complements the café style I’m going for:

a17f4fef42f8c3c5b5e92b822e955732.jpg


b32c0737892c1cc1bebca68af4fcb2a7.jpg


Install was very easy. I paid about $600 for it which includes shipping. Takashi shipped it on a Saturday and it arrived on Monday! Gasket was included.
 
Your Cb is looking very nice! Love the fairing/tail(but I'd have kept the taillight) and the new exhaust. the number one reason I bought the Yosh on mine is was it looked closest to the old Kerkers I ran on all my CB's.
 
Wild looking pipe. Your bike always looks good. Someone is going to get a good deal on a Staintune.

So how are you liking the NC 700?
 
CB4ME_imp said:
I haven’t done much farkling on my CB1100 this year, spending most of my time and money on a NC700X I purchased back in January. With 30 plus modifications so far, the bike is about done.

73f859b56b5860edb6b7af817fe80378.jpg


I wanted to freshen up my CB1100. I had installed a SP Tadao Twin Tail exhaust on the NC, so I thought I’d try their “Power Box” megaphone exhaust on the CB. It’s about 6” shorter and several pounds lighter than the Staintune exhaust I’ve been running. (See the For Sale section if you are interested in my Staintune.)

529e8c009ce1ccfda734241e8bdd4d7c.jpg


The SP Tadao’s exhaust note is nearly identical to the Staintune both in volume and sound quality. I think the smaller size complements the café style I’m going for:

a17f4fef42f8c3c5b5e92b822e955732.jpg


b32c0737892c1cc1bebca68af4fcb2a7.jpg


Install was very easy. I paid about $600 for it which includes shipping. Takashi shipped it on a Saturday and it arrived on Monday! Gasket was included.
As much as Staintune owners love their sound, I am happy to hear that the Tadao is in the same ballpark. I have been entertaining a buy of the power box short. I agree with your "style" change. The Staintune is far too stock looking, for me. I couldn't bring myself to part with that much money on a mod that really didn't change the bikes look.
 
Thread starter
[quote='The ferret' pid='99985' dateline='1437689236'
So how are you liking the NC 700?
[/QUOTE]

Engine is a dog but I knew that going in. During break-in it felt and sounded rough. But it has smoothed out a lot.

Bike turns a bit easier than the CB. The low CoG makes it feel like a much lighter bike.

Putting it up on the centerstand was easier than the CB, that is until I lowered the front and rear a half inch to make it easier of me to swing a leg over it.

It's pretty comfortable for me and an all-around nice bike. Just don't pick any fights with anything over 400cc.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
[quote='The ferret' pid='99985' dateline='1437689236'
So how are you liking the NC 700?

Engine is a dog but I knew that going in. During break-in it felt and sounded rough. But it has smoothed out a lot.

Bike turns a bit easier than the CB. The low CoG makes it feel like a much lighter bike.

Putting it up on the centerstand was easier than the CB, that is until I lowered the front and rear a half inch to make it easier of me to swing a leg over it.

It's pretty comfortable for me and an all-around nice bike. Just don't pick any fights with anything over 400cc.
[/QUOTE]
Engine is a dog but I knew that going in. During break-in it felt and sounded rough. But it has smoothed out a lot.

Bike turns a bit easier than the CB. The low CoG makes it feel like a much lighter bike.

Putting it up on the centerstand was easier than the CB, that is until I lowered the front and rear a half inch to make it easier of me to swing a leg over it.

It's pretty comfortable for me and an all-around nice bike. Just don't pick any fights with anything over 400cc.
[/QUOTE]

Would love to ride one to compare it to the Versys.
 
I kind of like the look of this other Power Box variant (Power Box Short, Non-Megaphone type):


I found this to be a very entertaining and informative video, despite it being in Japanese.
 
Thread starter
Gumby - I tried to order the non-megaphone power box, but SP Tadao said they were out of stock (as was Webike, etc.) and they didn't anticipate being able to resume production for 3 or more months. I do like the very clean look of that diminutive pipe.

Brougham - The stock ECU will handle most any slip-on. It's not until you eliminate the cat converter that a separate fuel controller is needed.

I mentioned the SP Tadao sounds like the Staintune. It does while riding, but when goosing the throttle in neutral it has a slight tinny sound component when compared to the Staintune. It's not bad, just different.

On another subject I got a wild hair up my a$$ and decided to paint the grab rails, mostly for the sake of change. I used gloss black but will change it to matte. I can't decide if I like it and can always go back to silver.

bee255b340c092d8096449951707458c.jpg
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Gumby - I tried to order the non-megaphone power box, but SP Tadao said they were out of stock (as was Webike, etc.) and they didn't anticipate being able to resume production for 3 or more months. I do like the very clean look of that diminutive pipe.

Brougham - The stock ECU will handle most any slip-on. It's not until you eliminate the cat converter that a separate fuel controller is needed.

I mentioned the SP Tadao sounds like the Staintune. It does while riding, but when goosing the throttle in neutral it has a slight tinny sound component when compared to the Staintune. It's not bad, just different.

On another subject I got a wild hair up my a$$ and decided to paint the grab rails, mostly for the sake of change. I used gloss black but will change it to matte. I can't decide if I like it and can always go back to silver.

bee255b340c092d8096449951707458c.jpg
Interesting. I ordered the non-megaphone power box short from Takashi on 7/26, no problem. He quoted a week to make it, and it is expected to arrive late next week.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Gumby - I tried to order the non-megaphone power box, but SP Tadao said they were out of stock (as was Webike, etc.) and they didn't anticipate being able to resume production for 3 or more months. I do like the very clean look of that diminutive pipe.

Brougham - The stock ECU will handle most any slip-on. It's not until you eliminate the cat converter that a separate fuel controller is needed.

I mentioned the SP Tadao sounds like the Staintune. It does while riding, but when goosing the throttle in neutral it has a slight tinny sound component when compared to the Staintune. It's not bad, just different.

On another subject I got a wild hair up my a$$ and decided to paint the grab rails, mostly for the sake of change. I used gloss black but will change it to matte. I can't decide if I like it and can always go back to silver.

bee255b340c092d8096449951707458c.jpg
I was considering doing the exact same thing with my grab rails, or 'garnish' as Honda calls them. It looks like some of the '14 standards may have come with black ones already although most of the ones I have seen still have the silver. I was going to do the gloss as well, but it is interesting you want to go to matte. Is this for a better match with the seat?
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Gumby - I tried to order the non-megaphone power box, but SP Tadao said they were out of stock (as was Webike, etc.) and they didn't anticipate being able to resume production for 3 or more months. I do like the very clean look of that diminutive pipe.

Brougham - The stock ECU will handle most any slip-on. It's not until you eliminate the cat converter that a separate fuel controller is needed.

I mentioned the SP Tadao sounds like the Staintune. It does while riding, but when goosing the throttle in neutral it has a slight tinny sound component when compared to the Staintune. It's not bad, just different.

On another subject I got a wild hair up my a$$ and decided to paint the grab rails, mostly for the sake of change. I used gloss black but will change it to matte. I can't decide if I like it and can always go back to silver.

bee255b340c092d8096449951707458c.jpg
Interesting. I ordered the non-megaphone power box short from Takashi on 7/26, no problem. He quoted a week to make it, and it is expected to arrive late next week.
Dang! I tried Webike on July 2 and Mr T. a week later. Both said the same thing. Please post pictures when you install it. That is one sweet pipe.

Veech - The gloss black is growing on me. I left things as is for now.

Yesterday I painted the grab rail hardware and the very top of one of the shocks. Today I'll do the other shock but need to move the exhaust to remove the bottom mounting bolt for that other shock. A couple days for the paint to dry and then back on the road. I'll post a pic.

8/1 UPDATE:

Black treatment on grip rails and Ohlins shocks:

51a8024b07ffc98e85d85deab7f7d60d.jpg
 
Nice mod. I like the SP Tadao Twin Tail on the CB as well. Thought about the SP for my bike but went in another direction. Enjoy.
 
Back
Top