Oh no..am I really going to.

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Went for a breakfast in the bike shop cafe today and saw a low miles FJR1300 in black and was offered a good deal on my 1100rs.
I've had two fjr's in the past and they are a perfect fit for me and I really like them. I also like the 1100rs but its not as comfortable to be honest, maybe that's down to me but the footpegs seem to be to high or the seat to low. I've noticed this more so after having a winter on my cb500x which is very comfortable.

Quick call to my insurance and surprisingly the FJR is cheaper than the 1100rs so £50 back to me.

Not much sleep tonight I guess as I need to decide what to do :s
 
Just whispering to your ear as an alternative: keep your RS, buy the FJR you like and get rid of the CB500x
 
Nice bike! Lately, I've been running down to Mom's in San Diego frequently. I've seen quite a few FJRs, most likely ridden by long-distance commuters between Orange County and San Diego. Having done that ride now on my bikes, and finding the distance and the swings in temperature such that I've resigned to take the car, the FJR would make mile-munching like that a cinch.

However... I'd never trade my CB1100 for anything. If I had a CB500x, that would be the bike I'd trade for that FJR.
 
Had an FJR I put 38,000 miles on and a CB 500X I didn't put many miles on because I didn't care for it. Loved the FJR. I'm also in the trade the CB 500x in on the FJR and keep the CB 1100 (which I also love) camp.

97313b16b5be9e18e19840546590f412.jpg


0081d0abb041d279bc9fd5f450378b0c.jpg
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Went for a breakfast in the bike shop cafe today and saw a low miles FJR1300 in black and was offered a good deal on my 1100rs.
I've had two fjr's in the past and they are a perfect fit for me and I really like them. I also like the 1100rs but its not as comfortable to be honest, maybe that's down to me but the footpegs seem to be to high or the seat to low. I've noticed this more so after having a winter on my cb500x which is very comfortable.

Quick call to my insurance and surprisingly the FJR is cheaper than the 1100rs so £50 back to me.

Not much sleep tonight I guess as I need to decide what to do :s
Sometimes it doesn't take much for a bike to feel a lot more comfortable once the stress on knees, hips, shoulders is reduced. At the risk of sounding like a broken record because I've posted similar before: have you tried adding some height to the seat to see how that feels? I mean: use a foam pad, towels even, just to see how it feels to sit a bit higher. For me just an additional 1.5" inch seat height increase made a quite noticeable difference for knees and hips. If it helps, you could think about different seat, but I simply left my bleacher pads strapped on.
 
I’m certainly not planning to part with mine, so I suppose I should join the CB1100 cheer squad. But, for what it’s worth, if the RS is really the one that doesn’t fit, you should probably say farewell to it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I’m certainly not planning to part with mine, so I suppose I should join the CB1100 cheer squad. But, for what it’s worth, if the RS is really the one that doesn’t fit, you should probably say farewell to it.
There is some wisdom in that statement Cormanus.

The FJR seems to always have been a fan favourite as the tourer.

CB1100 wins always in looks.
 
Not a Yamaha fan, but the FJR is a popular bike for good reason. The heart may say keep both, but listen to the back, knees, shoulders etc. :D
 
Thread starter
Thanks for replies guys.
I do agree that the cb1100 is a really good looking bike, I've owned the EX but changed for the RS version which is a totally different bike as I have found out.
Some things are a very poor design change, one being the rear brake peddle adjustment which at its lowest the peddle is still higher than the foot peg (there is an old post about this) Its easy to lift your foot of the peg to brake in a planned stop but not in an emergency.
The handle bars are much lower so I had to fit risers which made a slight difference but still not right.
The main problem I have is the riding position in the pegs are to far back and to high for me, (that also makes the high rear brake position worse) It causes me hip/leg pain after about 40 mins or sometimes less riding so its not good.
I've thought about raising the seat height as mentioned above but I think it would spoil the looks of the bike.

Opinion seems to be part exchange the CB500x but I can ride that all day with no problems so I have to keep it even if just for winter riding.

I have the means to keep the 1100rs but I fear it would just become an expensive ornament so I have arranged to trade it in for a FJR next week.

I decided on a third FJR by thinking over the many many bikes I've owned and which has suited me best and it won on all counts so had to be.

I've enjoyed this forum and its the most friendly so plan to stick around if that's ok, I will transfer the rlets over to the FJR ;)
 
As long as you transfer the RLETS, you're good to go :D
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Thanks for replies guys.
I do agree that the cb1100 is a really good looking bike, I've owned the EX but changed for the RS version which is a totally different bike as I have found out.
Some things are a very poor design change, one being the rear brake peddle adjustment which at its lowest the peddle is still higher than the foot peg (there is an old post about this) Its easy to lift your foot of the peg to brake in a planned stop but not in an emergency.
The handle bars are much lower so I had to fit risers which made a slight difference but still not right.
The main problem I have is the riding position in the pegs are to far back and to high for me, (that also makes the high rear brake position worse) It causes me hip/leg pain after about 40 mins or sometimes less riding so its not good.
I've thought about raising the seat height as mentioned above but I think it would spoil the looks of the bike.

Opinion seems to be part exchange the CB500x but I can ride that all day with no problems so I have to keep it even if just for winter riding.

I have the means to keep the 1100rs but I fear it would just become an expensive ornament so I have arranged to trade it in for a FJR next week.

I decided on a third FJR by thinking over the many many bikes I've owned and which has suited me best and it won on all counts so had to be.

I've enjoyed this forum and its the most friendly so plan to stick around if that's ok, I will transfer the rlets over to the FJR ;)
I didn't realize the RS was that different. Sounds like this combo of ergos is a bit much...if one doesn't enjoy riding the bike, what's the point? Hope you enjoy your FJR.
 
Can't go wrong with an FJR. Did you order an ES or a std?
 
I had an FJR for while, but an unplanned get-off spelled the end of it. I liked it a lot, but it was a lot of bike. I don't do touring anymore so the CB fits my needs better, but the Suzi and the BMW were more comfortable, but they're too big for scooting around town.
 
15 years ago- (geez has it been that long...) the FJR seemed great to me in mag reviews and pics.

Real world? Who knows...I barely ride even though my dreams are to wild hog across country ever since I saw the movie ...in what? '06?

So yea- for a few minutes a few times a year- my smaller, lighter bikes are fine... but the FJR seems a fine steed indeed.
 
Wise call, Mixagon. Look forward to hearing about the new-to-you FJR.
 
If it makes sense for you then it is the right choice Mixagon. The CB1100 range is a unique offering born out of Honda Japan's nostalgic nod to the past. When you read up on the Honda design and development process it's obvious there was a lot of passion going into the bike. But I do think let that passion get a little too focussed without a nod to the modern world expectations. I am lucky enough to have the space to keep mine and I have long since written of the cost I paid for it used so it stays. Enjoy the new wheels...
 
Thread starter
Here's my third FJR1300a with a genuine 10,036 miles on the clock. Its been well looked after by previous owner an ex bike mechanic. So far every bolt I've undone has anti corrosive on the threads so has the banjos etc, well pleased about that.

Just been adding a few bits today.. charging lead, grip puppies and RLETS :)

Still to add.. delkevic end cans and Givi plate for my top box. I did get the panniers with it but I don't like them so they are stored.


[url=https://postimg.cc/4mqXYQ7z]
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Here's my third FJR1300a with a genuine 10,036 miles on the clock. Its been well looked after by previous owner an ex bike mechanic. So far every bolt I've undone has anti corrosive on the threads so has the banjos etc, well pleased about that.

Just been adding a few bits today.. charging lead, grip puppies and RLETS :)

Still to add.. delkevic end cans and Givi plate for my top box. I did get the panniers with it but I don't like them so they are stored.


[url=https://postimg.cc/4mqXYQ7z]

Nice. Looks great in black! Make sure you get the Givi metal luggage rack or a stiffy kit to support the trunk, as the subframes on those have been known to break if too large a trunk or too much weight are placed on it.

I miss my FJR
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
Here's my third FJR1300a with a genuine 10,036 miles on the clock. Its been well looked after by previous owner an ex bike mechanic. So far every bolt I've undone has anti corrosive on the threads so has the banjos etc, well pleased about that.

Just been adding a few bits today.. charging lead, grip puppies and RLETS :)

Still to add.. delkevic end cans and Givi plate for my top box. I did get the panniers with it but I don't like them so they are stored.


[url=https://postimg.cc/4mqXYQ7z]

Nice. Looks great in black! Make sure you get the Givi metal luggage rack or a stiffy kit to support the trunk, as the subframes on those have been known to break if too large a trunk or too much weight are placed on it.

I miss my FJR

Nice. Looks great in black! Make sure you get the Givi metal luggage rack or a stiffy kit to support the trunk, as the subframes on those have been known to break if too large a trunk or too much weight are placed on it.

I miss my FJR
[/QUOTE]

Yep I've managed to get the correct Givi parts with a struggle because there are none anywhere in the UK despite Ebay sellers claiming 2 available which isn't true so had a refund and bought one from Germany which arrived 3 days later.
It won't be carrying any weight its just somewhere to put my helmet and gloves when I stop off.

I understand you missing your FJR they are a very good, get another ?

As you probably know its a 2nd gen I have because the 3rd gen have to many extras I don't need and most likely go wrong. Cruise control, traction control, electronic suspension to name a few.
 
Back
Top