of rides due and new

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Got in late last night from an 8 day trip to Fla with my wife. We went to do some birding on Sanibel island and to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary and my latest birthday (the 2 events are 1 week apart). Great trip except for the heat 88-100 degrees everyday between 10am and 7 pm), bugs (mosquitos, sand fleas and no-seeums), expensive airline tickets, car rental, resort room and expensive meals (breakfast lunch or dinner, didn't matter, seemed like it cost $35-$40) lol. The really bad part was no riding for me for 8 days and you guys know how that went over with me. While I was gone my younger brother picked up his new 2016 Triumph Bonneville, so this morning after watching the MotoGP, I rode over and met him for a more reasonably priced lunch ($4 double cheeseburger with pickle and catsup and fries..) and a short 104 mile ride on some nice country roads. He even let me ride his brand new bike with 70 miles on it (review to follow)



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2984_zpsj6nllns7.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF3005_zps6jsqo1wu.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2992_zpsqnd1sc6h.jpg.html]

The 2016 Bonnie is a nice machine. Very smooth, slick trans with 6 speed (which I never got into 6th..barely into 5th), light clutch, good brakes, light handling, and it was easy for me to touch the ground. Better seat than the previous Bonnie, and it comes with gaiters, nice sounding pipes, a grab rail and a center stand, all options on my 2003 Bonnie. It feels bigger than the previous gen Bonnie too. All of the visual cues on the new triumph are much better than the previous version. Power starts building exponentially at about 3000, but since we weren't taking it over 4K during break in, I didn't get to feel just how strong it was, but it likes being over 3k rpms. As a matter of fact if it gets below that point it feels like it wants to be down shifted, and the engine feels more comfortable when that is done. As we never got over 55 mph on todays ride that meant spending all our time in the first 4 gears. Strange for me. On my CB I would be in 5th or 6th even and my brother would be in 3rd or 4th. So far he has only made it into 6th gear once. Couple of strange things on the new Bonnie, the clock is a 24 hour clock and it can't be set to a 12 hour clock. So 1 PM is 13:00. Since my brother doesn't ride at night we set his clock to read 3:35 at 3:35 pm instead of 15:35. Maybe that will work for him, so all the military numbers will be after midnight. Of course early morning rides will be messed up but he's a late sleeper anyway lol. In lieu of that Motion Pro or someone makes a 12 hour bolt on clock he can get.

Secondly both the speedo and tack are registered with numbers which read 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and it's confusing to tell which is the tach and which is the speedo. On my brothers first 30 mile solo ride after trailering the bike home from the dealer, he told me he kept it under 4K rpms but in reality was keeping it under 40 mph lol

It's a beautiful bike, but I prefer my CB.
 
Thanks for the review of the new Bonnie. It's a really beautiful bike. Does the 270 deg firing create any unpleasant vibrations? Or does it give the engine more "soul" as the propaganda (I mean, literature) states? I almost bought the new Bonneville. Then I rode the CB...
 
The ferret_imp said:
Got in late last night from an 8 day trip to Fla with my wife. We went to do some birding on Sanibel island and to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary and my latest birthday (the 2 events are 1 week apart). Great trip except for the heat 88-100 degrees everyday between 10am and 7 pm), bugs (mosquitos, sand fleas and no-seeums), expensive airline tickets, car rental, resort room and expensive meals (breakfast lunch or dinner, didn't matter, seemed like it cost $35-$40) lol. The really bad part was no riding for me for 8 days and you guys know how that went over with me. While I was gone my younger brother picked up his new 2016 Triumph Bonneville, so this morning after watching the MotoGP, I rode over and met him for a more reasonably priced lunch ($4 double cheeseburger with pickle and catsup and fries..) and a short 104 mile ride on some nice country roads. He even let me ride his brand new bike with 70 miles on it (review to follow)



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2984_zpsj6nllns7.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF3005_zps6jsqo1wu.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2992_zpsqnd1sc6h.jpg.html]

The 2016 Bonnie is a nice machine. Very smooth, slick trans with 6 speed (which I never got into 6th..barely into 5th), light clutch, good brakes, light handling, and it was easy for me to touch the ground. Better seat than the previous Bonnie, and it comes with gaiters, nice sounding pipes, a grab rail and a center stand, all options on my 2003 Bonnie. It feels bigger than the previous gen Bonnie too. All of the visual cues on the new triumph are much better than the previous version. Power starts building exponentially at about 3000, but since we weren't taking it over 4K during break in, I didn't get to feel just how strong it was, but it likes being over 3k rpms. As a matter of fact if it gets below that point it feels like it wants to be down shifted, and the engine feels more comfortable when that is done. As we never got over 55 mph on todays ride that meant spending all our time in the first 4 gears. Strange for me. On my CB I would be in 5th or 6th even and my brother would be in 3rd or 4th. So far he has only made it into 6th gear once. Couple of strange things on the new Bonnie, the clock is a 24 hour clock and it can't be set to a 12 hour clock. So 1 PM is 13:00. Since my brother doesn't ride at night we set his clock to read 3:35 at 3:35 pm instead of 15:35. Maybe that will work for him, so all the military numbers will be after midnight. Of course early morning rides will be messed up but he's a late sleeper anyway lol. In lieu of that Motion Pro or someone makes a 12 hour bolt on clock he can get.

Secondly both the speedo and tack are registered with numbers which read 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and it's confusing to tell which is the tach and which is the speedo. On my brothers first 30 mile solo ride after trailering the bike home from the dealer, he told me he kept it under 4K rpms but in reality was keeping it under 40 mph lol

It's a beautiful bike, but I prefer my CB.

He just wanted to ride your CB :P

Seriously, thanks for the review. Sounds like a great bike. Sure looks good.
 
Thread starter
Roper_imp said:
Thanks for the review of the new Bonnie. It's a really beautiful bike. Does the 270 deg firing create any unpleasant vibrations? Or does it give the engine more "soul" as the propaganda (I mean, literature) states? I almost bought the new Bonneville. Then I rode the CB...
It actually does give it a bit of character. A little thrum if you will. Nothing bothersome, we just called it a different feeling. My brother and I couldn't figure out why they felt so different but I think that's it. Thanks for pointing that out. Exhaust note is definitely different than the 360 Bonnie.

the Bonnie was nice, but I love my CB. If I couldn't have both in the stable, the one in the stable would be the CB (which it is for me)
 
Thread starter
We went for another ride this afternoon. 147 miles. It runs the exact same rpms at the same speed in each gear as my CB, however it won't pull them as low as the CB will. Running along at 55, he has to be in 4 th whereas my CB will smoothly run 55 in 6 th. If he tries to upshift to 5 th or 6 th at 55 mph, it just kinda shudders until you down shift, then all is smooth again. But if we are both in 4 th gear at 55 mph, we are both turning the same rpms.

It really is a pretty bike. I shot about 40 photos of it at a little park we stopped at. Wish I had Tink's photography skills.
 
The ferret_imp said:
We went for another ride this afternoon. 147 miles. It runs the exact same rpms at the same speed in each gear as my CB, however it won't pull them as low as the CB will. Running along at 55, he has to be in 4 th whereas my CB will smoothly run 55 in 6 th. If he tries to upshift to 5 th or 6 th at 55 mph, it just kinda shudders until you down shift, then all is smooth again. But if we are both in 4 th gear at 55 mph, we are both turning the same rpms.

It really is a pretty bike. I shot about 40 photos of it at a little park we stopped at. Wish I had Tink's photography skills.
We'd be happy to look at some anyway.
 
Thanks. It a very beautiful bike. I really like the pictures of the manifold. If Triumphs didn't remind me of my mate's mother castigating him for oil dribbling all over the drive, I could almost contemplate having one.
 
It's a thing of great beauty.
 
I really love what they've done with the new T120, just a fantastic bike. But oddly, it looks 'older' than the outgoing air-cooled Bonnie, to my eye. It's more authentic to the '60's Bonnie. One of the things I love about the CB 1100 is that it doesn't look exactly like a Vintage CB, but to me, even better. It's weird how the retro market is evolving. But great choices.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
One interesting thing. When we removed the seat yesterday, it was apparent the guy that hand painted the gold coach lines, put his initials on the frame

 
Back
Top