OEM tires

received this today from Pirelli

Hello

A 120/70-17 tire is designed to fit a 3.50-3.75” rim. We must state that tires are not a universal product that can be as the consumer wants and suggested fitments by the tire manufacturer should always be followed. Hope this helps.

Pirelli Moto Consumer Affairs

800 747-3554
 
Paulb_imp said:
Just one complication here, are we all talking about spoked wheels with inner tubes because as I understand it not all tubeless tyres can be used with tubes. The reason being that tyres designed for tubes are well finished on the inner surface and don't rub on the tube, whereas tubeless tyres can have rough inner surfaces and cause punctures. My bike has tubes and I need to make sure the tyres are compatible.
That's spot on with my experience. So kudos to you for pointing out this unique situation with tubeless vs. tube tires. Tubeless tires not only have different shaped rim edge profiles, but the surface irregularities inside the tire are often unfinished, or the design doesn't call for cleaning them up, and under those conditinos, that can puncture a tube.

I've ridden w/ dual sport guys where they typically carry inner tubes even though theirs are tubeless tires. Reason being, if the sidewall gets sliced, no amount of plug is going to seal it. Thus, inner tubes have to be put inside the tubeless tire since we're in the middle of nowhere. We had a rider who kept popping his inner tube inside a tubeless tire. Come to find out, the inside of the tire was molded w/ these tiny "tits" protruding inward. We didn't know it at the time of repair, so we just put an inner tube inside it, and about 10 miles down the road, the inner tube popped. Luckily, someone else carried heavy duty tubes, so we used that, and the rider was able to complete the ride with us w/o any more punctures.
 
Those Sport Demons are bias-ply tires, not radials, correct? Is that the correct fitment for this bike?

I really liked them on my Moto Guzzi V7 Classic, but they were toast within 4000 miles. I'll be curious to know how they do under your heavier and more powerful CB1100.
 
you will find they turn in quicker than Dunlop OEMs. I haven't had Bridgestones.
yes they are bias ply and yes same fitment. if you consider the whole reason for developing radial tires, it makes little sense to have radial tires on these bikes and the tread to sidewall ratio makes no sense for a radial.
 
^Ah ha...there's the infamous "they turn in quicker" comment. I remember making the exact same remark the first time I put new tires on a bike.

We must remember that new tires will ALWAYS turn in quicker than the worn-down, squared-off old ones. The difference is remarkable, but you wouldn't notice it as much if you rode two CBs with new tires on each.

Looking forward to getting me some Angel GTs soon ;)
 
My CB is turning in like crap right now, every curve a fight and it wants to run wide out of every turn. I'm on the last few miles on these tires and you can really feel it. Feels like a deterioration of skills, but from experience know this is what it feels like to ride on worn out rubber.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
wiredgeorge_imp said:
Like I said in my original post, "I won't even bother ask which tires to buy because everyone who has ever bought a tire thinks their tire is peachy-keen bwhahahah"

I think I am going to look for some Kendas or Shinkos.... hehe
That's because most are tight wads and by the time they get around the spiders in their pockets they are riding on slicks. So any new tyre is going to be "peachy-keen bwhahahah". :beerchug:

Cheers
That's because most are tight wads and by the time they get around the spiders in their pockets they are riding on slicks. So any new tyre is going to be "peachy-keen bwhahahah". :beerchug:

Cheers
Well, Ferret, dig deep and get that "peachy-keen bwhahahah" feeling.

Cheers mate.
 
It's inevitable lol. Like to get into April with them and have semi fresh skins for the rally. Might be a few curves there lol
 
Back
Top