OEM tires

wiredgeorge_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just curious... Bought my 2013 CB1100A second hand and it has a Bridgestone BT41 mounted on the rear and a Metzler Z6 mounted on the front and both are stock size. Realize the Metzler didn't come stock; how about the Bridgestone. Which specific Bridgestone came from the factory.

I won't even bother ask which tires to buy because everyone who has ever bought a tire thinks their tire is peachy-keen bwhahahah
 
And some came with Dunlop Sportmax D205 tires. Mine did.
 
Has anyone tried the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 tyre on the 2014 bike? The Web Site recommends them for this bike with the spoked wheels. I was talking to a suspension specialist last week and he recommended Metzeler or Pirelli tyres over Dunlop or Bridgestone as they have softer walls and give improved grip when cornering. I have to admit that my current Dunlop D205's don't inspire confidence in the wet.
 
I have been thinking about tires lately. The stock BT-54's on my bike seem to grip well enough, but the front tire's center rib follows grooves in the pavement like crazy. My rear tire still has plenty of tread, so I was thinking about trying a different front to reduce that groove tracking. By the time the new front tire is worn, it'll probably be time for a rear and I can think about different brands of tires. For now, I'd prefer to keep like brands front and rear.

One tire I am considering for front wheel duty is the Bridgestone Battlax T30. Bridgestone's website does list our stock rear tire size available in the T30. I checked some of the larger tire sellers (Revzilla, Compacc, Chaparral) and they don't list it. I haven't looked much beyond that.

I also wonder how the Pirelli Sport Demons work on our bikes.
 
hey Un-decider...I think both Ptero and Geezer are running T30's and have reported on them.
 
The Metzeler Roadtec Z8 is a new model and specifically designed for more adventurous riding on naked bikes and sports tourers. It got a superb review in a UK bike mag this year. I think I'll give them a try when I've worn the Donlops down.
 
The ferret_imp said:
hey Un-decider...I think both Ptero and Geezer are running T30's and have reported on them.
I saw Motogeezer's post about running the T30 up front which is where I was made aware of this tire. I believe he is running either the OEM Dunlop or some other Dunlop out back. I suspect the 140/70 T30 is not being distributed in North America. When it comes time for a rear tire, I'll be diving in to the various tire threads when I get more serious about that topic. I just want to make the front end track better, so $110 should get me squared away for now with just a front tire.
 
I used up a set of Z8. After having had some drifts at wet roads, I decided to choose Bridgestone T30 next time again. That's the best one I had so far for my riding style.
 
I've run both OEM Bridgestone's and Dunlops. Either of the rears are fine IMO, but the fronts were occassionally squirrely at speed and lean + they feather and wear oddly. I'm totally satisfied with the Bridgestone T30 and will stick with it. I'm also sticking with the stock size rear, as I see no reason to go larger.
 
Just one complication here, are we all talking about spoked wheels with inner tubes because as I understand it not all tubeless tyres can be used with tubes. The reason being that tyres designed for tubes are well finished on the inner surface and don't rub on the tube, whereas tubeless tyres can have rough inner surfaces and cause punctures. My bike has tubes and I need to make sure the tyres are compatible.
 
The ferret_imp said:
hey Un-decider...I think both Ptero and Geezer are running T30's and have reported on them.
Not me mate. In sequence:

Dunlop stocks

Bridgestone stocks

Michelin PR3s

Pirelli Angel GTs.

So I think I seen a good selection of tyres on this bike.


Cheers
 
I still get an odd feeling to put Pirellis on a Honda, but the Angel GTs will likely be my next choice (replacing the original D205s). The PR3, Roadsmart 2, and GT all get high praise, so you really can't go wrong.

In wet conditions, I'll never ask much of any motorcycle tire...but these 205s don't seem willing to offer much either. Looking forward to a new set eventually.
 
Thread starter
Like I said in my original post, "I won't even bother ask which tires to buy because everyone who has ever bought a tire thinks their tire is peachy-keen bwhahahah"

I think I am going to look for some Kendas or Shinkos.... hehe
 
the_undecider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
hey Un-decider...I think both Ptero and Geezer are running T30's and have reported on them.
I saw Motogeezer's post about running the T30 up front which is where I was made aware of this tire. I believe he is running either the OEM Dunlop or some other Dunlop out back. I suspect the 140/70 T30 is not being distributed in North America. When it comes time for a rear tire, I'll be diving in to the various tire threads when I get more serious about that topic. I just want to make the front end track better, so $110 should get me squared away for now with just a front tire.
I saw Motogeezer's post about running the T30 up front which is where I was made aware of this tire. I believe he is running either the OEM Dunlop or some other Dunlop out back. I suspect the 140/70 T30 is not being distributed in North America. When it comes time for a rear tire, I'll be diving in to the various tire threads when I get more serious about that topic. I just want to make the front end track better, so $110 should get me squared away for now with just a front tire.
This link shows the rear tire:
http://www.bridgestone.com/products...ike_model]=HONDA::1100::CB1100F+(2010-)::SC65

But you are right, that size for the T30 is nowhere to be found...
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/tirefinder

Bridgestone USA doesn't list 140/70-18 for the T30:
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/Street.aspx#8203
 
wiredgeorge_imp said:
Like I said in my original post, "I won't even bother ask which tires to buy because everyone who has ever bought a tire thinks their tire is peachy-keen bwhahahah"

I think I am going to look for some Kendas or Shinkos.... hehe
That's because most are tight wads and by the time they get around the spiders in their pockets they are riding on slicks. So any new tyre is going to be "peachy-keen bwhahahah". :beerchug:

Cheers
 
I was curious... forgot to look at my stockers after my first ride Friday so ran out Saturday afternoon and looked .. my stock tires are the Bridgestone.

Good enough for me - plus, they hold air just fine ;)
 
guess this is good a place as any... I am concerned about all the folks on here that are apparently putting 120mm tires on the 2.5 inch front rim. that is N O T an approved rim size on any tire site I've searched. 120 tires are for 3 inch minimum size rim. Anyone else have comment on this?

As a side note... I don't see how Django can get better wet grip out of T30 than Z8, when Z8 won tire test against comparable sport touring tires by 3 second lap times!
 
jimgl3_imp said:
guess this is good a place as any... I am concerned about all the folks on here that are apparently putting 120mm tires on the 2.5 inch front rim. that is N O T an approved rim size on any tire site I've searched. 120 tires are for 3 inch minimum size rim. Anyone else have comment on this?

As a side note... I don't see how Django can get better wet grip out of T30 than Z8, when Z8 won tire test against comparable sport touring tires by 3 second lap times!
Thanks for your concern Jimgle3, but lighten your load and relieve yourself of concern for me. After over 30,000 kms on 160 rears I'm still here. That's not to say that the rubber is not going to depart the rim tomorrow, but I'm just a risk taker I guess :).

Cheers.
 
Back
Top