OEM engine guard question

Todd_K_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just received a set of Honda engine guards and want to confirm what I got is correct. Normally, the two sides match in form - these are different in shape and mounting points.

If someone can confirm they are mismatched, I'll just return them without wasting time test fitting.

Thanks!
 
Todd_K_imp said:
Just received a set of Honda engine guards and want to confirm what I got is correct. Normally, the two sides match in form - these are different in shape and mounting points.

If someone can confirm they are mismatched, I'll just return them without wasting time test fitting.

Thanks!
Those look like the correct set. I also was a little puzzled when I opened the shipping box and got an un-symmetrical pair.

The guards fit pretty close to the engine cases, so each side is shaped so that they fit the different contours of the left and right sides of the engine case.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for confirming, FB. The shape threw me, along with the different mounting points. And like you mentioned, the closeness to the cases, especially on the left side.

Appreciate the assist!

furious_blue_imp said:
Todd_K_imp said:
Just received a set of Honda engine guards and want to confirm what I got is correct. Normally, the two sides match in form - these are different in shape and mounting points.

If someone can confirm they are mismatched, I'll just return them without wasting time test fitting.

Thanks!
Those look like the correct set. I also was a little puzzled when I opened the shipping box and got an un-symmetrical pair.

The guards fit pretty close to the engine cases, so each side is shaped so that they fit the different contours of the left and right sides of the engine case.
Those look like the correct set. I also was a little puzzled when I opened the shipping box and got an un-symmetrical pair.

The guards fit pretty close to the engine cases, so each side is shaped so that they fit the different contours of the left and right sides of the engine case.
 
How were they to install?
The ones I ordered came in and I'm planning on picking them up
next weekend. I was thinking of having the dealer install them, but if
they're not to difficult, I might just do it myself.
 
Thread starter
Install wasn't bad at all. Biggest hurdle was overcoming the bonehead move of not realizing the frame bolt had a nut on the other end. It's so obvious that I just missed it. Sat there wrenching on it wondering why it wasn't getting any looser :@

Need two 14mm wrenches for the frame nut and bolt, and 10mm & 8mm wrenches for the lower mounting nut and bolt. If its any indication of the skill needed, the most difficult parts were breaking the engine bolt loose and getting it out of the frame, followed by reinstalling it. A plastic deadblow hammer works well for this.

Barely perceptible farkle..
 
Thread starter
Thanks! I'm really enjoying the bike, blacked out engine and all. Nearly 400 miles now, so the revs can start climbing a bit.
 
Back
Top