OEM Battery just flat dead.

meowguy_imp said:
As a follow up....I was able to get a small charge into the battery using a 12v wall wart charger. I got it up to 6 Volts. When I connected the Honda Optimate Charger, it kicked into charge mode. So the battery is charging now. If it goes into "complete" mode, then I guess I must have just left the key ON, but I would be surprised if that was the cause.

Stay tuned....
I wouldn't ride with that battery. If the 2.1v for the entire battery is correct, then you were _way_ below nominal voltage and have several completely dead cells. Even if you left the bike on, it shouldn't have gone below about 10v. It sounds like maybe something shorted without the aid of a fuse or else several cells were on their way out and died on your last trip. Like I said, I wouldn't trust that battery to get me back from wherever I might go, even if it does initially take a charge.
 
A quick, very unscientific test that has worked for me for many years....
Say your battery seems charged but you wonder about its true health, and if it will leave you stranded. Turn key to ON so the headlight is lit. Do not start it. Just leave the headlight on like that for at least 5-10 minutes. Then shut off, and then try to start the bike. If it starts right up, its good. Anything else, like if it strains or doesn't start, it's a goner.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
A quick, very unscientific test that has worked for me for many years....
Say your battery seems charged but you wonder about its true health, and if it will leave you stranded. Turn key to ON so the headlight is lit. Do not start it. Just leave the headlight on like that for at least 5-10 minutes. Then shut off, and then try to start the bike. If it starts right up, its good. Anything else, like if it strains or doesn't start, it's a goner.
I will give that a try. The Optimate has completed the charge and discharge cycle several times and it says the battery is good. Will install Tues. and let you all know.
 
Thread starter
My battery is fully charged, back in the bike and working fine. Passed the headlight test, and passed the alternator working test. I just must have left the key on is all I can say. I had to be out of mind when I pulled in from the 97 mile ride surrounded by 50 un-muffled Harley V Twins resonating inside my helmet.

That's my story and I am sticking with it.
 
Glad to hear it. It's really easy to forget the key is on even if the headlight is on if you pull into a lighted garage. I think I have seven double fluorescent light fixtures in my garage, and I've almost forgotten a few times.
 
meowguy_imp said:
My battery is fully charged, back in the bike and working fine. Passed the headlight test, and passed the alternator working test. I just must have left the key on is all I can say. I had to be out of mind when I pulled in from the 97 mile ride surrounded by 50 un-muffled Harley V Twins resonating inside my helmet.

That's my story and I am sticking with it.

:thumbsup: good deal meowguy!
 
meowguy_imp said:
My battery is fully charged, back in the bike and working fine. Passed the headlight test, and passed the alternator working test. I just must have left the key on is all I can say. I had to be out of mind when I pulled in from the 97 mile ride surrounded by 50 un-muffled Harley V Twins resonating inside my helmet.

That's my story and I am sticking with it.
That would test _anyone's_ mental acuity.
 
Back
Top