Octane Rating

I feel like Winston Churchill:

"I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught."

I didn't know about all the problems with ethanol.

I always wondered why it was a good idea to convert food into fuel when so many people go hungry, but I just figured, like Gossman, the good of being renewable, helping farmers, cleaner air must be the reasons.

Thanks for the education, I'll do more research but in the mean time, I'll watch what gas I put into my fuel tanks.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Hm, I wonder why you have this low quality fuel in the US?

Here in Europe, cheapest fuel starts at 95 Octan. There are 2 sorts, one containing 5% or less Ethanol, one containing 10% Ethanol, called E10.

Then there is at least one sort of 98 Octan, some brands offer even more than 100 Octan.

The CB has relatively low compression, 9.something. So it needs not that quality of fuel. However, my BMW K1100 had compression 14 to 1, still ok with 95 Octan, but should not have less.

Most sportcars like Porsche here need 98 octan, to allow full power. They can handle less qualitity, will have less power then.
My understanding is that a different standard is used for Euro and US octane ratings. I think the Low number octane rating is about the same octane in both places. The real shame is that Ethanol fuel, which has less energy per gallon, is forced on the American public by politicians that either through ignorance or agri-business payoffs mandate it's use. Lucky for me that I have several local dealers that sell the mid grade non Ethanol fuel.
My understanding is that a different standard is used for Euro and US octane ratings. I think the Low number octane rating is about the same octane in both places. The real shame is that Ethanol fuel, which has less energy per gallon, is forced on the American public by politicians that either through ignorance or agri-business payoffs mandate it's use. Lucky for me that I have several local dealers that sell the mid grade non Ethanol fuel.
I would simply add that ethanol production creates a larger carbon footprint, reduces the food supply, increases the price of fuel, and reduces gas mileage - a lose-lose situation.

~ The Bee
 
I have a science back ground, but just trying to learn here.....I had to look this one up: ethanol production creates a larger carbon footprint

At first couldn't figure out how ethanol would produce more CO2 since it burns cleaner than oil, but from what I'm finding, they are saying the converting of land from forest to corn production is where the lost of CO2 conversion by those forest creates an increase in over all CO2....is that correct?

More efficient ethanol: Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Vehicle Emissions

Loss of forrest: http://www.researchgate.net/profile...yback_time/links/5481c85c0cf2792435d88a3c.pdf

It's like the climate change / global warming debate...so much conflicting confusing data it's almost overwhelming.
 
It's a discussion about which we should tread carefully given the rules of this forum. Politics plays a not inconsiderable role in this equation.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a discussion about which we should tread carefully given the rules of this forum. Politics plays a not inconsiderable role in this equation.
I agree. The compression in our CBs (I think it's 9.5) is one of the great things about it and a selling point for me simply because I don't have to worry about using high octane gas. In fact, from what I've read on this forum, it's better to stick to the cheap stuff. Combined with the steel fuel tank I think we are in the best position possible give that finding ethanol free gas is not so easy (at least not around here).
 
Yes, the CB1100 is 9.5:1 allowing pump gas (87 octane) to be run. Running premium will net you no gains whatsoever, other than a false belief that it did.
 
I'm not feeling the need for high octane, but I do use non-ethanol fuel in about all of my small engines, including the CB1100.

That non-ethanol fuel happens to be 91 octane in my area. It's more of a storage/longevity issue, especially with older engines. I feel the rubber/plastic in some of the older engines doesn't like ethanol fuel sitting for extended periods.
 
Novice_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a discussion about which we should tread carefully given the rules of this forum. Politics plays a not inconsiderable role in this equation.
I agree. The compression in our CBs (I think it's 9.5) is one of the great things about it and a selling point for me simply because I don't have to worry about using high octane gas. In fact, from what I've read on this forum, it's better to stick to the cheap stuff. Combined with the steel fuel tank I think we are in the best position possible give that finding ethanol free gas is not so easy (at least not around here).
I agree. The compression in our CBs (I think it's 9.5) is one of the great things about it and a selling point for me simply because I don't have to worry about using high octane gas. In fact, from what I've read on this forum, it's better to stick to the cheap stuff. Combined with the steel fuel tank I think we are in the best position possible give that finding ethanol free gas is not so easy (at least not around here).
+1, my last two bikes required premium fuel which meant fueling from different pumps when Pam and I rode together, her V-strom using 87 octane. I wonder why most bike makers have not used knock sensors that would allow the use of lower octane fuel when the high octane is not available. I believe the R1200Gs has this.
 
I asked this in another thread, but this seems like a good place to re-ask:

I have read that bikes like mine with the cat. removed and the stock (and unfleshed) ecu will tend to run on the rich side. Would running with higher octane fuel improve performance in this situation? Note: I understand that the actual mixture would still be rich, but would the higher octane gasoline burn better in this situation?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I asked this in another thread, but this seems like a good place to re-ask:

I have read that bikes like mine with the cat. removed and the stock (and unfleshed) ecu will tend to run on the rich side. Would running with higher octane fuel improve performance in this situation? Note: I understand that the actual mixture would still be rich, but would the higher octane gasoline burn better in this situation?
ES,

My bike ran best with 89 octane. I don't believe the CB has enough compression to benefit from anything higher than 89. When i ran 91-93 there was a richer smell coming out of the exhaust with no benefit that i could feel.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I asked this in another thread, but this seems like a good place to re-ask:

I have read that bikes like mine with the cat. removed and the stock (and unfleshed) ecu will tend to run on the rich side. Would running with higher octane fuel improve performance in this situation? Note: I understand that the actual mixture would still be rich, but would the higher octane gasoline burn better in this situation?
Not likely, as higher octane fuel contains combustion inhibitors. Lower octane fuel is actually more volatile. Higher octane fuel is designed for high compression engines. Without the octane (inhibitors) it would combust prematurely due to the higher compression.

As CIP57 noted, he was smelling more unburned fuel when using the higher octane. In other words, don't waste your money on high octane fuel for a bike with relatively low compression and designed to use low octane. High octane fuel in a low compression engine may even cause plug fouling, carbon deposit issues and, in some cases, additional decel popping (due to incomplete combustion).
 
Mike Bee_imp said:
I agree that using higher octane fuels won't yield a benefit. What's more important is burning a high quality gas. In the USA, "top tier" fuels are the way to go. Most of the major brands are rated "top tier". Your fuel system will thank you. See TOP TIER - High-quality Fuel Performance Standard - TOP TIER™ for the Top Tier website. Click the "Retailers" tab for a list offered in the USA, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

~ The Bee
Bummer! Sunoco is not listed as top tier. This is the only gas station around my house where I can buy ethanol free gas. Not that I should worry but the bike sits in the garage for two to three months at a time, reason why I rather have ethanol free in the fuel system.
 
SanPete_imp said:
Mike Bee_imp said:
I agree that using higher octane fuels won't yield a benefit. What's more important is burning a high quality gas. In the USA, "top tier" fuels are the way to go. Most of the major brands are rated "top tier". Your fuel system will thank you. See TOP TIER - High-quality Fuel Performance Standard - TOP TIER™ for the Top Tier website. Click the "Retailers" tab for a list offered in the USA, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

~ The Bee
Bummer! Sunoco is not listed as top tier. This is the only gas station around my house where I can buy ethanol free gas. Not that I should worry but the bike sits in the garage for two to three months at a time, reason why I rather have ethanol free in the fuel system.
Bummer! Sunoco is not listed as top tier. This is the only gas station around my house where I can buy ethanol free gas. Not that I should worry but the bike sits in the garage for two to three months at a time, reason why I rather have ethanol free in the fuel system.
"Suncor Energy" is listed - it's Sunoco's parent company. Sounds like you're using top tier gas.

~ The Bee
 
Mike Bee_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
Mike Bee_imp said:
I agree that using higher octane fuels won't yield a benefit. What's more important is burning a high quality gas. In the USA, "top tier" fuels are the way to go. Most of the major brands are rated "top tier". Your fuel system will thank you. See TOP TIER - High-quality Fuel Performance Standard - TOP TIER™ for the Top Tier website. Click the "Retailers" tab for a list offered in the USA, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

~ The Bee
Bummer! Sunoco is not listed as top tier. This is the only gas station around my house where I can buy ethanol free gas. Not that I should worry but the bike sits in the garage for two to three months at a time, reason why I rather have ethanol free in the fuel system.
Bummer! Sunoco is not listed as top tier. This is the only gas station around my house where I can buy ethanol free gas. Not that I should worry but the bike sits in the garage for two to three months at a time, reason why I rather have ethanol free in the fuel system.
"Suncor Energy" is listed - it's Sunoco's parent company. Sounds like you're using top tier gas.

~ The Bee
Bummer! Sunoco is not listed as top tier. This is the only gas station around my house where I can buy ethanol free gas. Not that I should worry but the bike sits in the garage for two to three months at a time, reason why I rather have ethanol free in the fuel system.
"Suncor Energy" is listed - it's Sunoco's parent company. Sounds like you're using top tier gas.

~ The Bee Thanks Mike
 
I'm actually at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to fuel. I currently run E85 in my '95 Volvo 940 with no modifications. Even though it runs fine on ethanol, I ordered a "conversion" kit. The kit doesn't really convert anything but actually just "massages" the gasoline engine to burn ethanol better.

Now before all of the ethanol bashing starts let me say this. Gasoline (oil) is a finite resource. At some point were going to run out of it. When that happens it will be a necessity to find another fuel to use in our vehicles. Ethanol, like other alternative fuels, is very easily renewable. So whether it's ethanol or something else, it's going to be all we have. One very big plus is that ethanol just happens to burn pretty darn good in a gasoline engine without any modifications. It does even better in an engine optimized to burn ethanol.

I read all the time about getting less mpg with ethanol. That is actually not a valid concern. I know, you're thinking twiin you've lost your mind but hear me out. It's a fact that ethanol gets less mpg than gasoline. Why, because our engines are designed for gasoline not ethanol, they just happen to be able to burn it. No one should expect to get the same performance out of two different types of fuel with different properties in the same engine unless the engine is optimized for both. Our engines are optimized for gasoline not ethanol.
 
Back
Top