NT1100 Speculation Over

peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.
Spent too much time testing variety of cars equipped with DCTs...as well as diagnosing & fixing them.
These do not impress me at all due to lack of engineering and jerky operations, even thou, I haven't ridden a bike equipped with one...so let me stop the conversation at this point.
:beerchug:

DCT has been the Formula racing standard for a couple decades now. The technology is mature.

That said, I have not ridden the NT1100 with DCT and can't speak of its handling and operation. However, I would entertain trying one.
 
Honda's DCT in it's motorcycles have not been particularly troublesome. I think they are in their 10th or 11th year of use, in maybe 1/2 dozen models. Honda reports in models with both manual and DCT trans (like Goldwings, ATs, NC's etc) that given the choice, the DCT is chosen 53% of the time.

Like GO I would entertain trying an NT 1100 if I'm tall enough, but I would prefer an I-4 rather than a 270 twin if truth be told..with a drive shaft.

I believe America's premier sports car the C8 Corvette comes with a DCT transmission (and a drive shaft lol). My wife's new Mustang's 10 speed trans uses 3 clutches I believe.
 
well, technical development has not stood still in recent years

or eventual:

in german we have a saying : What the farmer does not know, he does not eat
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.
Spent too much time testing variety of cars equipped with DCTs...as well as diagnosing & fixing them.
These do not impress me at all due to lack of engineering and jerky operations, even thou, I haven't ridden a bike equipped with one...so let me stop the conversation at this point.
:beerchug:

DCT has been the Formula racing standard for a couple decades now. The technology is mature.

That said, I have not ridden the NT1100 with DCT and can't speak of its handling and operation. However, I would entertain trying one.
......
DCT has been the Formula racing standard for a couple decades now. The technology is mature.
......
Formula racing does not care about jerky or/and harsh shifting..it does about fast shifting...
 
if you are in an area where the technology (DCT) is not exactly conclusive as to whether it should shift or not,,, yes, there is jerking... yes, it certainly does....or if the oil is still cold..... ....especially with a weaker engine like my vultus, because there are many more switching operations

slow maneuvers need to be learned.....you have to learn to deal with dct, adapt to the other technique

but dct has so many advantages overall, especially on the bike


and these advantages are much more important to me

Or to put it simply, everything has its pros and cons
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.
Spent too much time testing variety of cars equipped with DCTs...as well as diagnosing & fixing them.
These do not impress me at all due to lack of engineering and jerky operations, even thou, I haven't ridden a bike equipped with one...so let me stop the conversation at this point.
:beerchug:

DCT has been the Formula racing standard for a couple decades now. The technology is mature.

That said, I have not ridden the NT1100 with DCT and can't speak of its handling and operation. However, I would entertain trying one.
......
DCT has been the Formula racing standard for a couple decades now. The technology is mature.
......
Formula racing does not care about jerky or/and harsh shifting..it does about fast shifting...

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB - you recently wrote you haven't ridden a Honda DCT machine?

What is this jerky or harsh shifting you are speaking about [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB?

One thing for sure, it is less detectable (incredibly smooth) than old school and while you fight with 2nd or 3rd, your buddies are gone up ahead.
 
“I don’t like it. I’ve never tried it.”
 
alprider_imp said:
if you are in an area where the technology (DCT) is not exactly conclusive as to whether it should shift or not,,, yes, there is jerking... yes, it certainly does....or if the oil is still cold..... ....especially with a weaker engine like my vultus, because there are many more switching operations

slow maneuvers need to be learned.....you have to learn to deal with dct, adapt to the other technique

but dct has so many advantages overall, especially on the bike


and these advantages are much more important to me

Or to put it simply, everything has its pros and cons
Alprider, you are very good observer......and I agree with this
:biker:
 
The pros and cons can be mechanical, physiological or psychological depending on ones perception
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.
Spent too much time testing variety of cars equipped with DCTs...as well as diagnosing & fixing them.
These do not impress me at all due to lack of engineering and jerky operations, even thou, I haven't ridden a bike equipped with one...so let me stop the conversation at this point.
:beerchug:

Actually, your assessment associating Honda DCT implementations with jerkiness operational behaviour is wrong [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB.

Some Honda VINs are having ECU/fueling problems, in particular with those associated with engine braking. This is happening to VINs without a DCT.

In addition, other manufacturers (e.g. KTM, Ducati, ... ) are experiencing similar ECU problems in their latest models. Apparently some VINs have it so bad that the vehicle is unrideable.

I suspect as fuel management becomes more advanced (mostly due to Euro 5+) and features require more intervention, the opportunity for firmware bugs increases dramatically creating bad corner cases.

It seems some owners even with 2022 models have down right broken ECU functionality causing crazy situations like full available power with maximum engine braking. This would be a poor low speed experience indeed.

In an age of intense micro-managing of the latest Euro 5 spec'ed motorcycles, I suspect this will be thing of the past as consumers slowly adopt full-time EV motorcycles where these issues simply go away. However, I am sure new issues will arise (like some punk disabling your eMotorcycle with their smartphone as you cruise by [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB).
 
I did not like the DCT on the two bikes I test rode years ago. They didn't shift when I would have normally shifted so they seemed weird. But I kept reading on forums that owners of them loved them and couldn't see going back to a manual shift bike. And so I wondered what I was missing.

When it came time to downsize after my wife quit riding, and Honda repurposed the NC 750 towards more street bias with shorter suspension, I thought I'd try one and see what I was missing that other experienced riders seemed to appreciate in a DCT equipped bike.

Honestly after the first week, I thought I had made a mistake. But a buddy from the ST forum who also rode a DCT 700 encouraged me to hang in there. Once I resigned to letting the NC shift when Honda designed it too, and just rode it without worrying about shift points, I came to really appreciate the design.

The DCT in my NC 750 has been nothing short of brilliant. I appreciate it more with every mile I ride. I have ridden it 17, 325 miles so far ( in a little less than 14 months). It can be " not as smooth" as a manual in certain circumstances, yet it can be as smooth or smoother than a manual as well. Its definitly faster shifting than a manual. Instantaneous gear changes up or down. The paddle shifters make it incredibly versatile. The fact that you can use different modes to control shift points, or use the manual mode with paddle shifters to make it shift EXACTLY when you want up or down .. well it's just brilliant.
 
Back
Top