NT1100 Speculation Over

VLJ_imp said:
Whoops, the side cases on the new GoldWing won't hold a full-face helmet? Did they shrink them in the last year or so?

Anyway, if that's now true, it just blows my mind.
I recall seeing a YouTube test ride review of the 2018 and he stated his helmet would not fit in the side cases.
This forum discussion backs that up. Helmet in saddlebags... which side?

Then this GW forum talks about the difficulty getting two to fit in the top case. 2018 Trunk isn't big enough for a helmet?
 
i dont understand the problem with the helmets....too in my goldwings 1500 and 1800 i had always only in the topcase enough place for my full face helmet....
 
The NT 1100 is getting some great reviews. I've watched a bunch of them.

Ok here's the deal. This bike appeals a lot to me. Although I don't really NEED a touring bike at this point, this one has a lot of the features (standard) I would want if I were in the market for one.

I bought the NC 750X DCT for a couple of reasons. First as an everyday rider for the 30-60 mile rides I do locally every day. And secondly to keep miles off my CB 1100 which at this point has 63,000+ miles on it. I was hoping to put just 5,000 miles per year more on the CB, and pile the majority of my mileage on the relatively inexpensive, simple, reliable, thrifty and lightweight NC.

So how is it working out? Great. The NC is a gem. It's everything I hoped it would be while averaging 74 mpg (a little less now that it's winter for some reason..winter blend gas maybe? but still near 70 mpg). Backing it out of the garage is astonishing. It feels like it weighs 200 pounds less than it does. It's truly a pleasure to hand walk back out of the garage, and a lot of fun to ride. The DCT trans is brilliant. It handles well, brakes well, does everything well. Nit picks? Yea I wish it had more hp and torque.

Then today it was the CB 1100's turn on the road. Much heavier to back out of the garage, but once riding it is a true joy. The power, the torque, the handling is just superb. And it's beauty is beyond compare. I really love this motorcycle. It's my "premier bike". Nit picks? Other than the weight backing it out of the garage... none. Oh there's one, it's hard to get good tires for it.

So here's the rub. If I went for an NT 1100, it would be silly to keep the NC, so I would go from a super lightweight bike that gets 70 mpgs and does everything I'm asking of it, in exchange for a bike with a bunch of great features that I don't really need, that weighs nearly as much as the CB, and only gets in the mid 40's for gas mileage...

In addition the CB would be the bike with the most weight, the least horsepower and torque, the fewest features and the most miles. Would that relegate it from the premier bike in my stable? It's possible. But..there is no way I am getting rid of it. I love it.

I don't need 3 motorcycles at this point. Actually the two I have really are doing it for me now.

Dang it, what a dilema.
 
Don't think about the NT1100 Ferret. I did that with the CRF1000 and look what happened: The NC750X and the CB1100 had to go. Yeah, the NC DCT would be redundant (other than superior fuel economy and built-in storage convenience).

The NT1100 is as heavy as the Africa Twin which is almost as heavy as the CB1100. Once moving, great, but at stop - could be dangerous.

If you need to quell an itch, try and rent one for a few days to get it out of your system. Then back to your stable steeds.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The NT 1100 is getting some great reviews. I've watched a bunch of them.

Ok here's the deal. This bike appeals a lot to me. Although I don't really NEED a touring bike at this point, this one has a lot of the features (standard) I would want if I were in the market for one.

I bought the NC 750X DCT for a couple of reasons. First as an everyday rider for the 30-60 mile rides I do locally every day. And secondly to keep miles off my CB 1100 which at this point has 63,000+ miles on it. I was hoping to put just 5,000 miles per year more on the CB, and pile the majority of my mileage on the relatively inexpensive, simple, reliable, thrifty and lightweight NC.

So how is it working out? Great. The NC is a gem. It's everything I hoped it would be while averaging 74 mpg (a little less now that it's winter for some reason..winter blend gas maybe? but still near 70 mpg). Backing it out of the garage is astonishing. It feels like it weighs 200 pounds less than it does. It's truly a pleasure to hand walk back out of the garage, and a lot of fun to ride. The DCT trans is brilliant. It handles well, brakes well, does everything well. Nit picks? Yea I wish it had more hp and torque.

Then today it was the CB 1100's turn on the road. Much heavier to back out of the garage, but once riding it is a true joy. The power, the torque, the handling is just superb. And it's beauty is beyond compare. I really love this motorcycle. It's my "premier bike". Nit picks? Other than the weight backing it out of the garage... none. Oh there's one, it's hard to get good tires for it.

So here's the rub. If I went for an NT 1100, it would be silly to keep the NC, so I would go from a super lightweight bike that gets 70 mpgs and does everything I'm asking of it, in exchange for a bike with a bunch of great features that I don't really need, that weighs nearly as much as the CB, and only gets in the mid 40's for gas mileage...

In addition the CB would be the bike with the most weight, the least horsepower and torque, the fewest features and the most miles. Would that relegate it from the premier bike in my stable? It's possible. But..there is no way I am getting rid of it. I love it.

I don't need 3 motorcycles at this point. Actually the two I have really are doing it for me now.

Dang it, what a dilema.
Uh oh.... I've heard that story before, and I know how it ends....
 
The ferret_imp said:
The NT 1100 is getting some great reviews. I've watched a bunch of them.

Ok here's the deal. This bike appeals a lot to me. Although I don't really NEED a touring bike at this point, this one has a lot of the features (standard) I would want if I were in the market for one.

I bought the NC 750X DCT for a couple of reasons. First as an everyday rider for the 30-60 mile rides I do locally every day. And secondly to keep miles off my CB 1100 which at this point has 63,000+ miles on it. I was hoping to put just 5,000 miles per year more on the CB, and pile the majority of my mileage on the relatively inexpensive, simple, reliable, thrifty and lightweight NC.

So how is it working out? Great. The NC is a gem. It's everything I hoped it would be while averaging 74 mpg (a little less now that it's winter for some reason..winter blend gas maybe? but still near 70 mpg). Backing it out of the garage is astonishing. It feels like it weighs 200 pounds less than it does. It's truly a pleasure to hand walk back out of the garage, and a lot of fun to ride. The DCT trans is brilliant. It handles well, brakes well, does everything well. Nit picks? Yea I wish it had more hp and torque.

Then today it was the CB 1100's turn on the road. Much heavier to back out of the garage, but once riding it is a true joy. The power, the torque, the handling is just superb. And it's beauty is beyond compare. I really love this motorcycle. It's my "premier bike". Nit picks? Other than the weight backing it out of the garage... none. Oh there's one, it's hard to get good tires for it.

So here's the rub. If I went for an NT 1100, it would be silly to keep the NC, so I would go from a super lightweight bike that gets 70 mpgs and does everything I'm asking of it, in exchange for a bike with a bunch of great features that I don't really need, that weighs nearly as much as the CB, and only gets in the mid 40's for gas mileage...

In addition the CB would be the bike with the most weight, the least horsepower and torque, the fewest features and the most miles. Would that relegate it from the premier bike in my stable? It's possible. But..there is no way I am getting rid of it. I love it.

I don't need 3 motorcycles at this point. Actually the two I have really are doing it for me now.

Dang it, what a dilema.
Hello me-in-the-past.
 
tommymck_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The NT 1100 is getting some great reviews. I've watched a bunch of them.

Ok here's the deal. This bike appeals a lot to me. Although I don't really NEED a touring bike at this point, this one has a lot of the features (standard) I would want if I were in the market for one.

I bought the NC 750X DCT for a couple of reasons. First as an everyday rider for the 30-60 mile rides I do locally every day. And secondly to keep miles off my CB 1100 which at this point has 63,000+ miles on it. I was hoping to put just 5,000 miles per year more on the CB, and pile the majority of my mileage on the relatively inexpensive, simple, reliable, thrifty and lightweight NC.

So how is it working out? Great. The NC is a gem. It's everything I hoped it would be while averaging 74 mpg (a little less now that it's winter for some reason..winter blend gas maybe? but still near 70 mpg). Backing it out of the garage is astonishing. It feels like it weighs 200 pounds less than it does. It's truly a pleasure to hand walk back out of the garage, and a lot of fun to ride. The DCT trans is brilliant. It handles well, brakes well, does everything well. Nit picks? Yea I wish it had more hp and torque.

Then today it was the CB 1100's turn on the road. Much heavier to back out of the garage, but once riding it is a true joy. The power, the torque, the handling is just superb. And it's beauty is beyond compare. I really love this motorcycle. It's my "premier bike". Nit picks? Other than the weight backing it out of the garage... none. Oh there's one, it's hard to get good tires for it.

So here's the rub. If I went for an NT 1100, it would be silly to keep the NC, so I would go from a super lightweight bike that gets 70 mpgs and does everything I'm asking of it, in exchange for a bike with a bunch of great features that I don't really need, that weighs nearly as much as the CB, and only gets in the mid 40's for gas mileage...

In addition the CB would be the bike with the most weight, the least horsepower and torque, the fewest features and the most miles. Would that relegate it from the premier bike in my stable? It's possible. But..there is no way I am getting rid of it. I love it.

I don't need 3 motorcycles at this point. Actually the two I have really are doing it for me now.

Dang it, what a dilema.
Uh oh.... I've heard that story before, and I know how it ends....
Uh oh.... I've heard that story before, and I know how it ends....
The syndrome is possible to beat.

It helps to have the no-garage gene. :-/
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
The NT 1100 is getting some great reviews. I've watched a bunch of them.

Ok here's the deal. This bike appeals a lot to me. Although I don't really NEED a touring bike at this point, this one has a lot of the features (standard) I would want if I were in the market for one.

I bought the NC 750X DCT for a couple of reasons. First as an everyday rider for the 30-60 mile rides I do locally every day. And secondly to keep miles off my CB 1100 which at this point has 63,000+ miles on it. I was hoping to put just 5,000 miles per year more on the CB, and pile the majority of my mileage on the relatively inexpensive, simple, reliable, thrifty and lightweight NC.

So how is it working out? Great. The NC is a gem. It's everything I hoped it would be while averaging 74 mpg (a little less now that it's winter for some reason..winter blend gas maybe? but still near 70 mpg). Backing it out of the garage is astonishing. It feels like it weighs 200 pounds less than it does. It's truly a pleasure to hand walk back out of the garage, and a lot of fun to ride. The DCT trans is brilliant. It handles well, brakes well, does everything well. Nit picks? Yea I wish it had more hp and torque.

Then today it was the CB 1100's turn on the road. Much heavier to back out of the garage, but once riding it is a true joy. The power, the torque, the handling is just superb. And it's beauty is beyond compare. I really love this motorcycle. It's my "premier bike". Nit picks? Other than the weight backing it out of the garage... none. Oh there's one, it's hard to get good tires for it.

So here's the rub. If I went for an NT 1100, it would be silly to keep the NC, so I would go from a super lightweight bike that gets 70 mpgs and does everything I'm asking of it, in exchange for a bike with a bunch of great features that I don't really need, that weighs nearly as much as the CB, and only gets in the mid 40's for gas mileage...

In addition the CB would be the bike with the most weight, the least horsepower and torque, the fewest features and the most miles. Would that relegate it from the premier bike in my stable? It's possible. But..there is no way I am getting rid of it. I love it.

I don't need 3 motorcycles at this point. Actually the two I have really are doing it for me now.

Dang it, what a dilema.
Me currently. I struggle to ride all three but somehow NEED them all!
 
The solution to mickey's dilemma may be quite simple...

The NT1100 isn't offered for sale in the United States. No official word as to if or when it ever will be.
Another solution for mickey would be for him to grab that super-clean, low-mileage 2017 CB1100 EX in Maryland for only $6,500.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
The solution to mickey's dilemma may be quite simple...

The NT1100 isn't offered for sale in the United States. No official word as to if or when it ever will be.
Another solution for mickey would be for him to grab that super-clean, low-mileage 2017 CB1100 EX in Maryland for only $6,500.
Ah, that's a shame. Still, EVERYONE needs the new BSA Goldstar 650cc in their garage!

 
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
 
I didn't like the 2 short test rides I took on DCT's, but after listening to actual owners and figuring they ALL couldn't be wrong, I decided I'd try one. Having ridden a DCT for over 11,000 miles now, I have to say it's pretty cool. Much easier on the left hand, right wrist and left foot. When I ride my DCT for a few days and then ride my CB, I usually end oup thinking Dang, that's a lot of shifting. Love the motor on my CB though. A DCT in a CB 1100 equivalent powered I-4 motor would be the snitz.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
 
Thread starter
The DCT is reported as top class in the Africa Twin as it can get an input from the onboard 6-Axis IMU which the NT1100 does not have. A lot of test riders find the NT can "chug" a little going up hill or they dislike decisions it takes to change gear at inappropriate times, e.g. mid cornering on a roundabout. The Africa Twin with 6-Axis data can make superior decisions and is supposed to be a much classier DCT experience.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test road the new NT 1100. First non motorcycle magazine test report I have read.

Here's his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.
I have never liked DCT !
Have you ridden one PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.

Have you ridden one [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB? Particularly the 1000/1100 cc class units?
No, and I am not going to ride or/and buy any bike with dual clutch!
Then it is not about what you like or don't like. It is about something else. To be clear, that is okay too.
Spent too much time testing variety of cars equipped with DCTs...as well as diagnosing & fixing them.
These do not impress me at all due to lack of engineering and jerky operations, even thou, I haven't ridden a bike equipped with one...so let me stop the conversation at this point.
:beerchug:
 
Back
Top