Now THIS GUY, is a RIDER!

Yes, and that's how these things start...it's a one day at a time thing. My monthly rides started that way. Can't imagine going to daily rides without a second bike. Even with the second bike, though, 6000 days in a row?!? That is FUBAR! ;)
 
Clearly you need a small, light, very cheap winter bike to ride in the snow and to sacrifice to the salt.

But there's some food for thought there, Ferret.
 
That's what I was thinking. This guy never got sick or went on vacation?

I ride almost every day, but if it's pouring rain or we have an unusual cold snap, I'll pass on the ride.

In my younger days, my only transportation for several years was two wheeled. Back then I would ride every day because I had no other options. It's nice to have options. :D
 
That's impressive dedication!

I will brave the cold but I don't brave slick conditions on the highway...not sure it sounds like much fun (I like curves) and I don't want to go down. When winter weather strikes, though, I still have two kinds of two-wheeled fun...

This:
9e0496e8ead55727717b051c82fff0bc.jpg


And this:
a5420bd1be41e75f379195c3c4698a24.jpg


911779a38e988df82be2b7f6fd1598e9.jpg


If the roads clear, I'm back on the bike:
f9a8b9b07c38f030d38e6360827fd9cf.jpg


01236bef2cf1e628d9b01fe7ba47addb.jpg


Very cold but clear and dry day:
0b949a176c77632d999996c23f7c8565.jpg


Cold but humid day:
c6a755a7cecf7ca3f5a89b2b3b313626.jpg


Salt is a concern. I clean it off as soon as I can, but it plays havoc with chains and with plated steel parts. Fortunately parts for the CBR250R are cheap and when they start looking dingy I just replace them. The whole rear axle and chain adjuster set only costs about $30.
28c677f05d3416d2e19ede1924067442.jpg
 
Thread starter
Yea, I draw the line at riding on ice and snow, although I have gotten caught and forced to ride on both. Don't mind ice and snow on the sides of the road, as long as the roads themselves are clear.

I also don't worry that much about salt. Been riding amongst it for years. I just avoid the piles. It has never affected my bikes in a negative way that I have noticed. The other day I rode down to my local shop with a question for a mechanic I know there. He asked me how I could ride when there was salt out. I simply told him my bikes have so many miles on them anyway they are worth more to me as rides than they are to others who would rather have a clean low mileage bike. I mean what is a 10 year old Honda with close to 100,000 miles on worth it anyway? He shrugged his shoulders and agreed.
 
That guy is NUTS! I met this guy at the BMOA "Das Rally" in Hamburg, New York this year. Really cool dude. The factory Metzlers didn't survive the trip...he had to get a new rear fitted somewhere in the middle of Nebraska one night...at a Harley dealer!

eae976a9fa8c04c5885686385e792051.jpg
 
Thread starter
Lol there are some real head cases riding motorcycles aren't there?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea, I draw the line at riding on ice and snow, although I have gotten caught and forced to ride on both. Don't mind ice and snow on the sides of the road, as long as the roads themselves are clear.

I also don't worry that much about salt. Been riding amongst it for years. I just avoid the piles. It has never affected my bikes in a negative way that I have noticed. The other day I rode down to my local shop with a question for a mechanic I know there. He asked me how I could ride when there was salt out. I simply told him my bikes have so many miles on them anyway they are worth more to me as rides than they are to others who would rather have a clean low mileage bike. I mean what is a 10 year old Honda with close to 100,000 miles on worth it anyway? He shrugged his shoulders and agreed.
+1

The ferret_imp said:
Yea, I draw the line at riding on ice and snow, although I have gotten caught and forced to ride on both. Don't mind ice and snow on the sides of the road, as long as the roads themselves are clear.

I also don't worry that much about salt. Been riding amongst it for years. I just avoid the piles. It has never affected my bikes in a negative way that I have noticed. The other day I rode down to my local shop with a question for a mechanic I know there. He asked me how I could ride when there was salt out. I simply told him my bikes have so many miles on them anyway they are worth more to me as rides than they are to others who would rather have a clean low mileage bike. I mean what is a 10 year old Honda with close to 100,000 miles on worth it anyway? He shrugged his shoulders and agreed.
I won't let it stop me from riding, but it has consequences. This is the rear axle and chain adjusters from my 250 after two seasons of salt riding.

c5d7f9defed0ffb76951710702860ad0.jpg


Here's the replacement but look what happened to the chain less than 24 hours after a dusty, dry salt ride followed by rising temperatures and humidity.

56fc3bbe86dac57e8e17da8aad9b8204.jpg


This season I'm going to try coating and protecting the most vulnerable parts with this aircraft protectant.

efcf8c0cccbf94353b3b2dad91237f8f.jpg
 
Back
Top