Now don't faint

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
But Ferret's steed got a bath today. It looks pretty good. Not Tink good, or ride4now good.... but better than Cormanus after a rainy week in the bush good :thumbsup:

As I was lying on my back polishing areas I didn't know it had, I thought this thing is a Thomas's English Muffin.. it's full of nooks and crannies (all dirty), some places even my tiny digits can't get in to.

Started at 9 ish, took a break for a sandwich at noonish and finished up at 1:30 ish. Someone picky would spend another 4 or 5 hours on it lol, but I am a rider and not a polisher. It's good enough for me. It would look really good to a guy with coke bottle glasses from 30 feet away at dusk. Noticed the polished and clear coated covers, like outside engine cases and valve cover, are getting the worst of it, and show road grime that isn't coming off. At least not with my feeble efforts.

Checked chain condition and tension (btw half arsed cleaned it too with WD40 and a rag) and we are still good to go closing in on 29,000 miles.

Will turn over 10,000 miles on this set of PR3's soon and still looking half way decent. Will probably install a new set for the rally in 6 weeks though.

Will post a couple pics of said steed later, but now after all that work, I deserve a ride!
 
I wonder if "rainy week in the bush" is one of those expressions that means something naughty in Australian parlance.
 
That was time well spent I think.
I like my rides to look good and show everyone how proud I am of them.
But as you said, not everyone is a polisher and I have no problem with that.
Everyone should do whatever makes them happy.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I wonder if "rainy week in the bush" is one of those expressions that means something naughty in Australian parlance.
I was imagining chasing Roo's off road ..

I clean the hard to get places with a long handled soft paint brush with Dawn "if needed" but quickly go back over it with premium wash and wax
 
The PR3's are remarkable. I have about 9K on the front and it still looks fine with little apparent wear. The rear was replaced last fall but not because of wear but an errant nail. Love these tires.

I tried doing a super clean on my '13 whilst painting the side covers but got bored and did my usual "hit the high spots" cleanup. I wish I could just run it through the car wash in town.
 
I tried Ferret's trick on my bike last week. Used some truckwash and removed some of the grunge but found laying down beside the bike for a while on the concrete made it all too difficult to get up again. Don't you just hate getting old!
 
Cleaning is over rated. Letting things rat out is WAY over rated.

But next time let the forums' intern wash it. :D
 
Thread starter
Lol... Yea Tezz getting up off the ground is a chore these days?

Redbirds...invent a bike detailing machine... Even if it takes 200 quarters to make it work, I'll be first in line to use it.

We have interns?
 
Yeah ... where are the interns?

There may, just may, be a picture of the Cormanus CB after a rainy week in the bush coming to post near you all too soon.
 
Thread starter
it's not as clean as it looks in the pics, but like I said I am a rider not a polisher. Wish I had taken a pre wash pic. It was disgusting.

Tomorrow or the day after I will get caught in the rain and it will be back to disgusting again. It's inevitable.

just noticed right rear turn signal looks crooked in that pic. Hmmm wonder how to fix that?
 
Tezza_imp said:
I tried Ferret's trick on my bike last week. Used some truckwash and removed some of the grunge but found laying down beside the bike for a while on the concrete made it all too difficult to get up again. Don't you just hate getting old!
Not really, better than the alternative lol.
 
Looks good from this angle Ferret.

So what is the latest and greatest recommended for cleaning them header pipes taking them from gold/brown to chrome-like?

Yours are looking pretty sharp. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Mine ARE chrome lol. Spray with Bike Bright, rub with some 0000 steel wool, rinse, dry, hit them with some chrome polish. If they weren't chrome like the stds, I think I would have that coating that Chip Beck has put on them when I got a little down time.

Today's ride was 38 miles in the rain. Glad I took the ST lol.
 
Ferret, you've done a great job. I need a hand cleaning mine now.
9ace000fd5031d10ed3e20bdccabf51b.jpg


fb4f5e3865ffba5c8a89cbfb403e18fc.jpg
 
Back
Top