Not an oil thread!

Ghis_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm not trying to start another oil conversation but rather find out the answer to a very simple question. Are you running full synthetic without any clutch slipping issues?

Two dealers are giving me different stories. One says no problem, and the other says don't do it. Since they all have very little experience with the CB1100, I figured I would ask to those who ride them, you.

If you're running full synthetic, what do you use? Assuming Honda has some full synthetic oil as well...
 
Thread starter
lemontree_imp said:
I'm also curious to the answer to your question, Ghis. Can I ask if you are experiencing clutch slip?
I'm still running the standard Honda 10W30, but I do want to switch to full synthetic.
 
I have used full synthetic in my bikes for years now with no problems whatever. Just be sure you use an oil that does not have friction modifiers which are for auto use exclusively. If you use a synthetic motorcycle oil such as Honda recommends for the CB you can't go wrong. A dealer who tells you different hasn't a clue what they're talking about.
 
Using Motul 300v since the first oil change with no clutch problems. It's overkill, but the shear stability of this stuff (and any ester based oil, including the Mobile 4t mentioned above) can't be beat -- the bike shifts like day one through the whole OCI.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
 
This is what I run.

7a6d0a14551fe34dd3e820e3fd795f4b.jpg
 
Hmmm if it quacks like a duck...
 
Motorcycle oil actually has a rating for this. It's JASO MA or MA2. What this means is no matter what oil you get, clutch performance should fall within the specs outlined in whatever specification the oil meets. Doesn't matter what it's make up is, if it's JASO rated, it's been tested for wet clutches.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Ghis_imp said:
I'm not trying to start another oil conversation but rather find out the answer to a very simple question. Are you running full synthetic without any clutch slipping issues?

Two dealers are giving me different stories. One says no problem, and the other says don't do it. Since they all have very little experience with the CB1100, I figured I would ask to those who ride them, you.

If you're running full synthetic, what do you use? Assuming Honda has some full synthetic oil as well...
Yes, it just should fullfill Honda's requirements for the CB1100:
[li]JASO MA-2*[/li] [li]API SG**
[/li]

* JASO = Japanese Automotive Standards Organisation,
MA-2 = motorcycle, 4-stroke, clutch in oil

** API = American Petroleum Institute
S = spark ignition (otto motor)
G = quality class G, the higher in alphabet, the better

I use Castrol Power1 4T 10W-40, which is fully synthetic and fullfills JASO MA-2 and API SJ.
 
At the 600mi service I had the dealer put in Honda synthetic oil. I figure if there was an issue I could say "well it's Honda oil" and see what would happen from there. However I've had no problems with it.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Hmmm if it quacks like a duck...
...if it swims like a duck....
...if it swims like a duck....
... if it flys like a duck ...
 
shell rotella t6 oil 5w40 full synthetic

No clutch slip with any of my bikes:

CB1100
DRZ400
Ninja 250
 
Father-in Law and Brother -in-Law are both Amsoil dealers. Hmmmm....geuss what I started using after my breakin period. My right sneaker is still waterproof after I left the filler cap off and coated it with fresh oil....clutch no problem, sneaker well....:biker:
 
Back
Top