Not an oil thread. At least I hope not.

cb4me?_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Why do some people recommend regular oil for the first oil change, then going to semi synthetic, and then full synthetic?
Doing my 600 mile service after my next ride. Got 520 on it now.
Will definitively be using 10w 30 though. I saw that thread!
 
HA! You are wrong! Its an oil thread! And the ONLY oil to use is (fill in the blank) or, whatever I'm using... :)

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will pipe up, but I think it it to ensure that the rings seat and everything wears in properly. But there is a lot of disagreement on that too.

Should be some interesting posts coming though.
 
The Honda dealer used 10W40 in the first 1.000km inspection. I still use the same semi synthetic stuff just from another brand afterwards and do not worry about it. The CB runs well with it over 34.000km.

Wisedrum
 
Yep, it's something about allowing the rings to seal properly before switching to synthetic. Personally, I just follow the book and try not to overthink it. And popgun is correct -- this is an oil thread!
 
I have always stayed with conventional oil until i felt the bike was broken in all moving parts and then do just as said. right now i have semi syn and will go full syn next change . have 5,200 Miles on it now and the bike feels broken it as i push it occasionally to 8K .
really love the 1100 and will be keeping it for life just like my CB750.
 
I have a 2009 Cobalt SS that came from the factory with synthetic oil. All Corvettes leave the factory with synthetic oil. This list goes on and on of high end factory cars that leave the factory (0 miles) with synthetic oil. To quote Smokey Yunick., "On a dyne an engine takes about 30 seconds to break in". If you have over 600 miles, I would go with synthetic in an air-cooled engine, or, a water cooled engine. Makes no difference.
 
When synthetics were first being introduced in motor vehicles there was concern the extra lubrication would not allow seals to properly seat. With modern tolerances, it became a none issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
Teamwalker_imp said:
I have a 2009 Cobalt SS that came from the factory with synthetic oil. All Corvettes leave the factory with synthetic oil. This list goes on and on of high end factory cars that leave the factory (0 miles) with synthetic oil. To quote Smokey Yunick., "On a dyne an engine takes about 30 seconds to break in". If you have over 600 miles, I would go with synthetic in an air-cooled engine, or, a water cooled engine. Makes no difference.

If it makes no difference- why pay the extra for syn?

That being said- why not just stick with the factory Honda oil and filter?
 
Just put in Liqui Moly 10W-40 for first oil change at 800km and some kind of rattling or ticking sound appear :). Mine is CB1100 RS 2017. Will switch back to 10W-30 next change to see if the sound still there then we will have an aswer, though it's somewhat strange :D
 
Put back 10W-30, went for a couple km ride, magically, the ticking sound from the top of the engine gone! Anyone having the same issue, just switch back to 10w-30 :). I also noticed some sound from the fuel injector.
 
The fuel injectors click on acceleration but after a while you will not pay any attention to them, and won't hear them.

Yes others have had the same experience with going back to 10w30 and their motors getting quiet. Can't explain it. Others have used 10w40 without issue however. It's unexplainable really.
 
Thread starter
I used reg Honda 10w-30. Haven't ridden it since the change. I'll go to semi synthetic next change and then full after that.
 
Quote:If it makes no difference- why pay the extra for syn?

That being said- why not just stick with the factory Honda oil and filter?

For the same reason I use full synthetic in all my cars, the truck and the CB, it flows quicker than convention al when cold and prevents wear on startup which is where you get most of your engine wear, on startup. Before synthetics, those who knew this used an extra oil pump in their cars to pressurize the conventional oil, get it flowing into the engine, before startup to avoid this wear.
 
I respectfully quote.

"I would suggest an immediate change to Dactyl (Intergalactic) Corporation's HUBRIS Omni Grade Motorcycle oil.

HUBRIS is a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100."

Regards
 
Unlike most other forums, it's funny how oil threads rarely gain any traction (or nastiness) in this forum, one of the many reasons I enjoy being here...

Happy Father's Day guys :hello:
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Unlike most other forums, it's funny how oil threads rarely gain any traction (or nastiness) in this forum, one of the many reasons I enjoy being here...

Happy Father's Day guys :hello:
Well said, and happy father's day to you too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top