No 2015

I am good friends with my local dealer since he was 14 (40 years ago). He was one of the hangers around, when I worked at the shop. He grew up and bought the business and he's pretty forthright when it comes to answering my never ending questions about what's happening in the industry. Of the bikes you and I have talked about, the CB's are the only ones that he has sold at least 5 of in the last 2 years. I think he has sold 8 or 9 CB's. He has 2 left. VFR's, CTX's, anything DCT, CTX's, F6B's, Valkries ... he throws a party when he can sell 1 of any of those. He special ordered my ST 1300. Wouldn't carry those either. Sells mostly Honda cruisers, some sport bikes, quite a few scooters, and lots of atv's.
He also is a very successful Yamaha dealer, but the same lines sell well for that brand here too. I think he sold 15 FZ-09's , but not many FJR's.
[/QUOTE]

We service many of the ST13's for local and state LEO's. So ST's are fairly popular. Mine usually draws comments when I ride it to work. Yes, ATV's are big sellers for us. The PNW has many more Goldwingers than the Midwest...for obvious reasons. Our VFR800 is a DLX, and no one has ever asked for a test ride. We offer test rides on anything. And it is seriously marked down. We're almost across the street from Joint Base Lewis Mchord so a lot of crotch rockets for the thrill-seekers. But the prudent few have been getting the 300's and 500's.
 
In Germany, 2015 they still sell the CB1100 EX, but no other model of the CB1100 any more:

Germany - German

And list price of the EX is 1,000 Euro less than last year. It's the price of the standard (including combined ABS here) of last year.
 
Olyrider_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Might be jumping to conclusions. But I also said "sold" - not "made."
Yesterday we sold our last CB, a 2013 Std, for about $1,200 less than we paid for it almost two years ago. Even IF honda released a 2016 CB, do you really think we would order any? We sold five of them in two years...two to the same person. I am not a salesperson, but as a very enthusiastic owner of a CB I was never able to interest a customer in one.

I am content to be the happy owner of a very rare bike. In fact, I like it that way. I do believe our bikes will hold their value quite well because of their build quality, reliability, user friendliness, factory support and fun factor.

As a dealership, we've moved on. Now we're excited about the upcoming CRF1000L.
Honda did a marketing study for their CB in 2012 and concluded it would be a small. They are right
 
I have to say I don't understand why the CB is not selling better. I have to conclude it is price. I almost bought the FZ 9 but just felt the CB fit me better. Most of the people I ride with grew up on standards and think the CB looks fantastic but somewhat expensive, unfortunately I paid close to retail in 2014 but felt the bike fit me perfectly.
The CB may appeal to the so called geezer crowd of which I am one, but I also have a 93 Kawasaki ZX7, 70 SL350 as well as a 2013 Bonneville. The CB is just so versatile it would probably be the bike I would keep if I had to get rid of all the others. I really find something appealing in most of the bikes today from crotch rockets to cruisers and just can't understand why the standard motorcycle model does not find a wider audience. As much as I think some of the full fairing bikes are beautiful I like seeing the mechanical workings of the motorcycle.
I hope Honda does not give up on this bike. I think if they lightened it up slightly and added a few more horsepower they may attract a few more buyers. I think the CB is similar to the air/oil cooled Bandit which sold well for several years but did have more horsepower.
I had a Bandit 1200 and found the power fantastic and slightly faster than the CB but it was not as smooth in my opinion. The CB almost feels electric in comparison and has been utterly reliable. The Bonneville is nice to ride as well but has consistently given me starting issues, although it never failed to start. I guess I am just trying to say I agree with the comments made about the engineering and quality of Honda motorcycles. Over the years I had mostly Yamahas and Suzukis but never a modern Honda. I am sure fuel injection has a lot to do with it but I am so impressed with how well the CB can be lugged at lower RPMs. Sorry to ramble on.;)
 
IMO, if the issue was price, I think all the heavily discounted leftovers I've located on Craigslist would be gone. There's maybe one leftover DLX that I found. I just don't think there's much of a market for them. I'm glad I found a DLX when I did, a year ago, still in the crate. I'm not lamenting they're "gone". Never say never!
 
I agree the market for these bikes must be small these days. It makes me feel like I am out of touch as the standard motorcycle has always appealed to me. I have test ridden Polaris cruisers and found them to be very comfortable but they are just not the type of bikes I grew up with. Trying to fight off old age I guess.
 
Toro5xi_imp said:
I agree the market for these bikes must be small these days. It makes me feel like I am out of touch as the standard motorcycle has always appealed to me. I have test ridden Polaris cruisers and found them to be very comfortable but they are just not the type of bikes I grew up with. Trying to fight off old age I guess.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
 
Interestingly, I can find only 2 for sale on the main Australian bike sales website.
 
Toro5xi_imp said:
I agree the market for these bikes must be small these days. It makes me feel like I am out of touch as the standard motorcycle has always appealed to me. I have test ridden Polaris cruisers and found them to be very comfortable but they are just not the type of bikes I grew up with. Trying to fight off old age I guess.
I don't like the crouched crotch-rocket riding position - no reason for it, and it's not easy for an older rider. And then there is all the "tupperware" cladding...you hit road debris or drop it, it's going to cost.

And the cruiser position...this is seldom mentioned, but it puts ALL your weight on your hips and tailbone. You cannot raise up on the pegs, as you can with an upright riding position.

So, I'm pleased with the UJM format. Sadly, few others are...and I guess the only options for us old-timers, outside of this, are dual-sports or vintage bikes.

It is what it is. In twenty years it won't matter to me; and with luck I'll have the CB until then.
 
Olyrider_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Might be jumping to conclusions. But I also said "sold" - not "made."
Yesterday we sold our last CB, a 2013 Std, for about $1,200 less than we paid for it almost two years ago. Even IF honda released a 2016 CB, do you really think we would order any? We sold five of them in two years...two to the same person. I am not a salesperson, but as a very enthusiastic owner of a CB I was never able to interest a customer in one.

I am content to be the happy owner of a very rare bike. In fact, I like it that way. I do believe our bikes will hold their value quite well because of their build quality, reliability, user friendliness, factory support and fun factor.

As a dealership, we've moved on. Now we're excited about the upcoming CRF1000L.
Yesterday we sold our last CB, a 2013 Std, for about $1,200 less than we paid for it almost two years ago. Even IF honda released a 2016 CB, do you really think we would order any? We sold five of them in two years...two to the same person. I am not a salesperson, but as a very enthusiastic owner of a CB I was never able to interest a customer in one.

I am content to be the happy owner of a very rare bike. In fact, I like it that way. I do believe our bikes will hold their value quite well because of their build quality, reliability, user friendliness, factory support and fun factor.

As a dealership, we've moved on. Now we're excited about the upcoming CRF1000L.
Is the CRF1000L the new Africa Twin? If so I want one!
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Toro5xi_imp said:
I agree the market for these bikes must be small these days. It makes me feel like I am out of touch as the standard motorcycle has always appealed to me. I have test ridden Polaris cruisers and found them to be very comfortable but they are just not the type of bikes I grew up with. Trying to fight off old age I guess.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
I think you're right. Anyone looking to look good on a bike is not looking at the standard bike, because it might be to blend, multi purpose, every day chore commuting like bike, versus flashy, muscle, adventurous, edgy, pirate, hipster, rich, big custom type bikes. Those of us who ride standards understand that once you're done impressing yourself and others, a standard bike makes total sense on all level, that it be price point, versatility, reliability, or else. We ride to ride, not just to look good, or put on a persona. We're not just weekend warriors. Look at the riders out there. Ducatists wear full leather racing suits, Adventure riders wear rugged adventure gears, even for their 15 minute commute, and Harley riders (I've been one of them, and will again), look like either a pirate, or part of a biker gang. We're not old geezers, we are common sense, down to earth, everyday riders, often on a budget, who wear comfortable, reasonable clothes such as a leather jacket & jeans, and more often than not wear a helmet. We ride because we love to ride, way beyond the image, or the life style. Though being a biker is a life style.
 
Ghis_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Toro5xi_imp said:
I agree the market for these bikes must be small these days. It makes me feel like I am out of touch as the standard motorcycle has always appealed to me. I have test ridden Polaris cruisers and found them to be very comfortable but they are just not the type of bikes I grew up with. Trying to fight off old age I guess.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
I think you're right. Anyone looking to look good on a bike is not looking at the standard bike, because it might be to blend, multi purpose, every day chore commuting like bike, versus flashy, muscle, adventurous, edgy, pirate, hipster, rich, big custom type bikes. Those of us who ride standards understand that once you're done impressing yourself and others, a standard bike makes total sense on all level, that it be price point, versatility, reliability, or else. We ride to ride, not just to look good, or put on a persona. We're not just weekend warriors. Look at the riders out there. Ducatists wear full leather racing suits, Adventure riders wear rugged adventure gears, even for their 15 minute commute, and Harley riders (I've been one of them, and will again), look like either a pirate, or part of a biker gang. We're not old geezers, we are common sense, down to earth, everyday riders, often on a budget, who wear comfortable, reasonable clothes such as a leather jacket & jeans, and more often than not wear a helmet. We ride because we love to ride, way beyond the image, or the life style. Though being a biker is a life style.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
I think you're right. Anyone looking to look good on a bike is not looking at the standard bike, because it might be to blend, multi purpose, every day chore commuting like bike, versus flashy, muscle, adventurous, edgy, pirate, hipster, rich, big custom type bikes. Those of us who ride standards understand that once you're done impressing yourself and others, a standard bike makes total sense on all level, that it be price point, versatility, reliability, or else. We ride to ride, not just to look good, or put on a persona. We're not just weekend warriors. Look at the riders out there. Ducatists wear full leather racing suits, Adventure riders wear rugged adventure gears, even for their 15 minute commute, and Harley riders (I've been one of them, and will again), look like either a pirate, or part of a biker gang. We're not old geezers, we are common sense, down to earth, everyday riders, often on a budget, who wear comfortable, reasonable clothes such as a leather jacket & jeans, and more often than not wear a helmet. We ride because we love to ride, way beyond the image, or the life style. Though being a biker is a life style.
It would seem the value of a solid, do everything motorcycle would be a common sense no brainer. When you have to argue the common sense value of standard motorcycle, then, in a practical sense, you've already lost the argument. Can't fix stupid.
 
Novice_imp said:
Ghis_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Toro5xi_imp said:
I agree the market for these bikes must be small these days. It makes me feel like I am out of touch as the standard motorcycle has always appealed to me. I have test ridden Polaris cruisers and found them to be very comfortable but they are just not the type of bikes I grew up with. Trying to fight off old age I guess.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
I think you're right. Anyone looking to look good on a bike is not looking at the standard bike, because it might be to blend, multi purpose, every day chore commuting like bike, versus flashy, muscle, adventurous, edgy, pirate, hipster, rich, big custom type bikes. Those of us who ride standards understand that once you're done impressing yourself and others, a standard bike makes total sense on all level, that it be price point, versatility, reliability, or else. We ride to ride, not just to look good, or put on a persona. We're not just weekend warriors. Look at the riders out there. Ducatists wear full leather racing suits, Adventure riders wear rugged adventure gears, even for their 15 minute commute, and Harley riders (I've been one of them, and will again), look like either a pirate, or part of a biker gang. We're not old geezers, we are common sense, down to earth, everyday riders, often on a budget, who wear comfortable, reasonable clothes such as a leather jacket & jeans, and more often than not wear a helmet. We ride because we love to ride, way beyond the image, or the life style. Though being a biker is a life style.
Since bikes began to become more specialized around the mid 80s, I lost interest. A standard bike can be a commuter, a highway cruiser, a canyon carver or whatever you want. And it seats two comfortably. I much prefer an all-purpose motorcycle to one designed for a particular kind of riding. Standards are the only type of bike I've ever owned since I bought my first KZ in 1980. In the rest of the world, where bikes are used as regular transportation, the standard bike is alive and well.

I think it's not you or me that is out of touch, but the North American motorcycle consumer.
I think you're right. Anyone looking to look good on a bike is not looking at the standard bike, because it might be to blend, multi purpose, every day chore commuting like bike, versus flashy, muscle, adventurous, edgy, pirate, hipster, rich, big custom type bikes. Those of us who ride standards understand that once you're done impressing yourself and others, a standard bike makes total sense on all level, that it be price point, versatility, reliability, or else. We ride to ride, not just to look good, or put on a persona. We're not just weekend warriors. Look at the riders out there. Ducatists wear full leather racing suits, Adventure riders wear rugged adventure gears, even for their 15 minute commute, and Harley riders (I've been one of them, and will again), look like either a pirate, or part of a biker gang. We're not old geezers, we are common sense, down to earth, everyday riders, often on a budget, who wear comfortable, reasonable clothes such as a leather jacket & jeans, and more often than not wear a helmet. We ride because we love to ride, way beyond the image, or the life style. Though being a biker is a life style.
It would seem the value of a solid, do everything motorcycle would be a common sense no brainer. When you have to argue the common sense value of standard motorcycle, then, in a practical sense, you've already lost the argument. Can't fix stupid.
Two things: first one of life's more curious paradoxes is that 'common sense' sadly is seldom common.

Secondly, I've a suspicion the market for the solid, do everything motorcycle is smaller than we think:[ul] [li]some people can afford to have a number of bikes[/li] [li]some have bikes as hobbies only for recreation and so can afford to have just one that meets their recreational needs[/li] [li]others plain don't like UJMs and can manage general duties on other types of bikes[/li] [li]the number of options in the market means there will be less of any one kind of bike than wold be the case in a narrower market.
[/li][/ul]
After all that heavy thought I need a beer. :beerchug:
 
I would point out that many of the CB1100's competitors (retro-ish standards) are doing well in the market, and that the segment the CB sits in is a strong one. Bonnie still sells well, Ducati Scrambler, BMW R-9T both over performed sales estimates. Even Guzzi keeps rolling out new iterations of the V7. The CB's modest US market success, or lack thereof, IMHO, can be attributed to two things. 1) The CB didn't quite meet the expectations of the intended market, and 2) Honda didn't do jack squat to market it properly.

It's a great bike that we all love. But I went into the new Honda dealer that opened adjacent to the Triumph shop here in NJ, and there wasn't a single bit of evidence that the CB ever existed. Next door, a full set of Bonnies merchandise, posters, and people straddling the bikes on the showroom floor.
 
Capo, interesting observations. I suspect that your ")2" has something to do with it. However, maybe the CB appeals to very few people and we are part of that select group. I've had plenty admire my bike but a very few of those would buy one. Dunno why.

Cheers
And I think Ghis has a fairly real view of these things. Thank you Ghis.
 
Perhaps because the CB is an 1100 4cyl, some buyers are turned away because it's not a high performance motor. Some fellows that see my bike are enthusiastic when informed that is a new model and 1100cc. "I'll wager it is a real hot rod, how fast is it?" they ask. When I tell them it is tuned for low end torque and has a speed limiter a look of disappointment comes. I would tend to agree with Capo that Honda has made no effort whatever to market this bike like Triumph has with their Bonnie and few accessories either. If you could get more riders to road test this bike in real world conditions it would sell better.

I'm happy to have mine and I will never sell it.
 
Not a dealer I'd ever use. Heck, my local dealer tossed me the keys to a brand new BMW K1600GT with just passing interest from me.
 
On the other hand, Honda spent a bit promoting the Fury, especially in its first year 2009. Despite that, in the nearly 6 years since it was first available, I think I've only seen the Fury twice on the road..
 
Back
Top