No 2015

1100rider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was at the local Honda dealer today and was told that there will be no 2015 CB's. The 2015 Deluxe model is sold out. In 30 years will ours be as popular as the 1975 CB750 was?
 
Probably not. Everybody will want the newest electric sport hovercraft. Or they'll be worth a ton as rare collector's item and I'll be kicking myself that I didn't buy two and sorry that I actually rode the one i had.
 
1100rider_imp said:
I was at the local Honda dealer today and was told that there will be no 2015 CB's. The 2015 Deluxe model is sold out. In 30 years will ours be as popular as the 1975 CB750 was?
FIFY.

I would guess that maybe the DLX will have a return engagement at least. The inventory of '13s and '14 Stds needs to clear first. My hope is a 2016 model issue with the standard in a different color and DLX in another color as well. The DLX sold well (I am guessing) while the Std in all black might have not had as broad an appeal even though it's a great bike.

My vote would be a 2016 standard in blue with a silver engine and wheels. Then a DLX in RWB (red, white and blue) a great Honda paint scheme.
 
DAC_imp said:
1100rider_imp said:
I was at the local Honda dealer today and was told that there will be no 2015 CB's. The 2015 Deluxe model is sold out. In 30 years will ours be as popular as the 1975 CB750 was?
FIFY.

I would guess that maybe the DLX will have a return engagement at least. The inventory of '13s and '14 Stds needs to clear first. My hope is a 2016 model issue with the standard in a different color and DLX in another color as well. The DLX sold well (I am guessing) while the Std in all black might have not had as broad an appeal even though it's a great bike.

My vote would be a 2016 standard in blue with a silver engine and wheels. Then a DLX in RWB (red, white and blue) a great Honda paint scheme.
I'm not sure if I'd jump to that conclusion. If the VIN numbers are any indication, Honda made about 4 times more standards than DLXs.
 
DAC_imp said:
Might be jumping to conclusions. But I also said "sold" - not "made."
Yesterday we sold our last CB, a 2013 Std, for about $1,200 less than we paid for it almost two years ago. Even IF honda released a 2016 CB, do you really think we would order any? We sold five of them in two years...two to the same person. I am not a salesperson, but as a very enthusiastic owner of a CB I was never able to interest a customer in one.

I am content to be the happy owner of a very rare bike. In fact, I like it that way. I do believe our bikes will hold their value quite well because of their build quality, reliability, user friendliness, factory support and fun factor.

As a dealership, we've moved on. Now we're excited about the upcoming CRF1000L.
 
Is there a 2016 CB1100? I ask that coz a salesman told me it is a possibility (saying Honda would skip a yr when the older inventory is on floors)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Olyrider_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Might be jumping to conclusions. But I also said "sold" - not "made."
Yesterday we sold our last CB, a 2013 Std, for about $1,200 less than we paid for it almost two years ago. Even IF honda released a 2016 CB, do you really think we would order any? We sold five of them in two years...two to the same person. I am not a salesperson, but as a very enthusiastic owner of a CB I was never able to interest a customer in one.

I am content to be the happy owner of a very rare bike. In fact, I like it that way. I do believe our bikes will hold their value quite well because of their build quality, reliability, user friendliness, factory support and fun factor.

As a dealership, we've moved on. Now we're excited about the upcoming CRF1000L.
Yesterday we sold our last CB, a 2013 Std, for about $1,200 less than we paid for it almost two years ago. Even IF honda released a 2016 CB, do you really think we would order any? We sold five of them in two years...two to the same person. I am not a salesperson, but as a very enthusiastic owner of a CB I was never able to interest a customer in one.

I am content to be the happy owner of a very rare bike. In fact, I like it that way. I do believe our bikes will hold their value quite well because of their build quality, reliability, user friendliness, factory support and fun factor.

As a dealership, we've moved on. Now we're excited about the upcoming CRF1000L.
Didn't Honda rebate you $1500 or $2500 on that bike?

That's pretty standard fare for Hondas though isn't it? Did you sell 5 F6B's in the last 2 years? 5 CTX 1300's? 5 premium package Goldwings? ANY NM4's? 5 of any DCT trans bikes? 5 VFR 800s or 1200's?

Looks like you'd be down to a few cruisers, sport bikes and 4 wheelers on the floor.
 
Interesting questions, Ferret.

Honda rebated $1,000. "Costs" and "Profits" are very ambiguous, but measurable from unit to unit in the same store. The investment in CB1100's didn't pay off when
compared to many other units. VFRs, both 8's and 12's, are worse. Thankfully, we only have a single VFR 800. It sits forlornly on the floor. The F6B's have been a big hit for us, as well as the premium Goldwings, excluding the air baggers. We haven't ordered a "transformer Honda" and would only get one to fill an order. So far, that hasn't happened.

Did I miss anything?
Looks like I missed a couple.

DCT bikes are catching on. The release of the CRF1000L will include a DCT version. I'm predicting it will be quite popular. I plan on getting one, and my garage is full!

CTX1300's didn't catch on. We only ordered one. Honda seldom wins the design wars against Euro bikes. Same with the Valkyrie. Ordered two...sold two. Heck, we're starting to finally sell a few scooters, and paying closer attention to that market. And bothe the CBR300 & CB300 models are popular, along with the CBR500.
 
So what of the Ducati Scrambler? Another retro play that is selling out. Talked to a guy at a dealership who has a deposit in one. Early 20s, new rider and chomping at the bit.

Where was the excitement or build up for the CB? Honda's getting out hustled.
 
Honda put zero effort in promoting the CB and seems to have little interest in the US market. Ducati has heavily advertised the Scrambler, going as far as to give it a separate web site. Glad I've got my CB and may try to buy another in future.
 
I think Ducati built an "affordable" Ducati by re-visiting their history, and "re-introducing" the Ducati brand to first-time buyers. In fact, their engineering/marketing plan for the Scramblers is public info. They "need" for the bike to be successful, FSVN. Clearly not the case with the CB1100. So many more people filled up threads about their desire for this bike than ever walked into a showroom to buy it when it arrived. Honda produced an amazing bike, that riders begged them to make, it got awesome reviews and BOTY awards, and "nobody" bought it but us few! I don't see this as a marketing failure. Honda is competing in a category the Europeans own. Turns out a beautiful, fun, reliable and Japanese bike is not what young and middle-age riders desire for their "retro-standard".

All the comments from customers in the store, including the CB buyers as well as most of this list, refer to the CB as a geezer bike. Usually meant in a nice way. When you see one on the road with a helmeted rider, what is your mental image of the hidden face? What about when you see a Ducati scrambler? Same image? Probably not. At least for me.
 
Olyrider_imp said:
I think Ducati built an "affordable" Ducati by re-visiting their history, and "re-introducing" the Ducati brand to first-time buyers. In fact, their engineering/marketing plan for the Scramblers is public info. They "need" for the bike to be successful, FSVN. Clearly not the case with the CB1100. So many more people filled up threads about their desire for this bike than ever walked into a showroom to buy it when it arrived. Honda produced an amazing bike, that riders begged them to make, it got awesome reviews and BOTY awards, and "nobody" bought it but us few! I don't see this as a marketing failure. Honda is competing in a category the Europeans own. Turns out a beautiful, fun, reliable and Japanese bike is not what young and middle-age riders desire for their "retro-standard".

All the comments from customers in the store, including the CB buyers as well as most of this list, refer to the CB as a geezer bike. Usually meant in a nice way. When you see one on the road with a helmeted rider, what is your mental image of the hidden face? What about when you see a Ducati scrambler? Same image? Probably not. At least for me.
Im one of those guys. I was all over the CB when the prototype photos came out back in 07 or 08. At the time I had a CB750F and a CB900F, and was sick of working on them more than I rode. I sold them and had money burning a hole in my pocket. After a couple of years it seemed that they weren't bringing the bike here so I got something else.

I still want an 1100 but at this point I can't see spending the dollars to basically replace what I have with a very similar bike. I hope to have one someday. But like the CBX that got away, they may become high priced collectors items and I'll go for something else. But I hope not.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Honda put zero effort in promoting the CB and seems to have little interest in the US market. Ducati has heavily advertised the Scrambler, going as far as to give it a separate web site. Glad I've got my CB and may try to buy another in future.
This. Ducati has also invested massively in promoting their general brand among that target demographic (think of their product placement, in pretty much every millenial-appealing movie where a motorcycle could be fit in). Most people I meet under 30 that are new to bikes seem to have Ducati high on their hit list. Not surprising then that when they release a discount model (relatively speaking) it gets snapped up quick.

Not hating at all -- I love ducati and love to see them do well.
 
Who is buying what motorcycle and why is always an interesting and frustrating exercise it seems. There are so many varied and wonderful choices out there.

I work with a lot of guys who are current and former riders. In my world, it seems like there are two main camps; sportbike riders and Harley riders.

I know several guys in their 20's and 30's, who never owned a bike before, who were looking at or bought the 250/300 size sportbikes or an 883. To them this size is less intimidating than larger displacement models. So that market is out for the CB.

There are those that simply want the most powerful/fastest ride on the planet. So that market is out for the CB.

I know Harley riders who used to ride sportbikes and bought a Harley when they wanted to "settle down". They bought full size Harleys that come with windscreens, GPSs, removable bags, heated grips, bottle openers, etc. So that market is out for the CB.

Add a small dash of Japanese cruisers that look like Harleys and a KTM supermoto type and you get an idea of what I see overall.

It has got to be difficult to market a CB in this type of environment.

I am curious to know how Honda defines success and failure with regards to the CB. I doubt they actually thought they would sweep the nation like they did in the 70's. Maybe they just wanted to keep their product line varied and thrilled that it grabbed the attention it has.
 
Where I live I'm surrounded by Harley's, I've been told many times (even from a Suzuki Boulevard rider :-/ ) when am I going to buy a real motorcycle. But of course I've also been told when am I going to buy a real phone (I use a flip phone). :s
 
Olyrider_imp said:
Interesting questions, Ferret.

Honda rebated $1,000. "Costs" and "Profits" are very ambiguous, but measurable from unit to unit in the same store. The investment in CB1100's didn't pay off when
compared to many other units. VFRs, both 8's and 12's, are worse. Thankfully, we only have a single VFR 800. It sits forlornly on the floor. The F6B's have been a big hit for us, as well as the premium Goldwings, excluding the air baggers. We haven't ordered a "transformer Honda" and would only get one to fill an order. So far, that hasn't happened.

Did I miss anything?
Looks like I missed a couple.

DCT bikes are catching on. The release of the CRF1000L will include a DCT version. I'm predicting it will be quite popular. I plan on getting one, and my garage is full!

CTX1300's didn't catch on. We only ordered one. Honda seldom wins the design wars against Euro bikes. Same with the Valkyrie. Ordered two...sold two. Heck, we're starting to finally sell a few scooters, and paying closer attention to that market. And bothe the CBR300 & CB300 models are popular, along with the CBR500.
Interesting answers as well.

Maybe it's regional. I am good friends with my local dealer since he was 14 (40 years ago). He was one of the hangers around, when I worked at the shop. He grew up and bought the business and he's pretty forthright when it comes to answering my never ending questions about what's happening in the industry. Of the bikes you and I have talked about, the CB's are the only ones that he has sold at least 5 of in the last 2 years. I think he has sold 8 or 9 CB's. He has 2 left. VFR's, CTX's, anything DCT, CTX's, F6B's, Valkries ... he throws a party when he can sell 1 of any of those. He special ordered my ST 1300. Wouldn't carry those either. Sells mostly Honda cruisers, some sport bikes, quite a few scooters, and lots of atv's.
He also is a very successful Yamaha dealer, but the same lines sell well for that brand here too. I think he sold 15 FZ-09's , but not many FJR's.
 
It is interesting to see what sells for Honda besides Goldwings. In my area of NW Indiana I cannot believer how many motorcycle riders there are today as compared to a decade ago. My observations... but I swear that 80% are Harley's.
 
Olyrider_imp said:
Interesting questions, Ferret.

Honda rebated $1,000. "Costs" and "Profits" are very ambiguous, but measurable from unit to unit in the same store. The investment in CB1100's didn't pay off when
compared to many other units. VFRs, both 8's and 12's, are worse. Thankfully, we only have a single VFR 800. It sits forlornly on the floor. The F6B's have been a big hit for us, as well as the premium Goldwings, excluding the air baggers. We haven't ordered a "transformer Honda" and would only get one to fill an order. So far, that hasn't happened.

Did I miss anything?
Looks like I missed a couple.

DCT bikes are catching on. The release of the CRF1000L will include a DCT version. I'm predicting it will be quite popular. I plan on getting one, and my garage is full!

CTX1300's didn't catch on. We only ordered one. Honda seldom wins the design wars against Euro bikes. Same with the Valkyrie. Ordered two...sold two. Heck, we're starting to finally sell a few scooters, and paying closer attention to that market. And bothe the CBR300 & CB300 models are popular, along with the CBR500.
If my (small) local dealer had a red VFR800 in "deluxe" trim I'd buy it today. But, they don't so I guess it isn't meant to be.

I had to buy my CB from a different dealer and I felt guilty doing so because my local dealer has always treated me so well.

The trend seems to be "power sports" superstores. They have inventory but it isn't the same experience for me.
 
Back
Top